Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
exactly, I love property taxes over income taxes because each person can choose what is important to them.
This would only be true if property values were predictable. If you lve in ATX you know this could not possibly be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
This would only be true if property values were predictable. If you lve in ATX you know this could not possibly be true.
With homestead they can only go up so much per year in value.
And you can protest.

But most buy RE hoping the value increases and they also do a lot of work to further increase the value.
Austin property taxes has 6 different taxing entities.

Everyone has county and ISD but over that, those others are specific to your locale and more than likely the residents voted one or more into existence.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Those from elsewhere that had huge real estate bubbles with the resulting crash might want to consider how Texas fared during that whole debacle and why, before advocating that we change our way of doing things to reflect the places that crashed and burned because of runaway housing prices - places with low property tax and with income tax to make up the difference. Our property tax system serves as a partial brake on that kind of rampant housing price increase.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
Quote:
The most blatant example is someone comes into an area and pays an outlandish price and this is used to boost every one's assessment... it can have a chilling effect of driving people out solely because others can pay more.
Happened on our block this past year...two years ago a developer paid around $300K for the house, tore all but one wall down and rebuilt to add 1500 sf of over the top upgrades. Just sold for $750K. The developer is long gone, doing the same in another neighborhood. Our values rose so much this year that it spurred a cap credit on our tax estimate. As we have not reached our current appraisal value, it will most likely jump similarly next year. My 2% raise is long gone...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Happened on our block this past year...two years ago a developer paid around $300K for the house, tore all but one wall down and rebuilt to add 1500 sf of over the top upgrades. Just sold for $750K. The developer is long gone, doing the same in another neighborhood. Our values rose so much this year that it spurred a cap credit on our tax estimate. As we have not reached our current appraisal value, it will most likely jump similarly next year. My 2% raise is long gone...
This is exactly what happens and those that were there living their lives are left to deal with the fallout.

At least you have a cap to offer some relief.

I personally know of a neighborhood in Washington State that was left reeling after a California Investor paid an outlandish price for some water front acreage with the plans of subdividing and developing.

In the end... he went bankrupt... couldn't overcome the wet land restrictions and then the market tanked.

The neighbors... some that had been there 40 or 50 years saw as much as an 80% assessment increases based on the price this guy paid for his grand scheme... just not right when someone with more money than sense can come in and screw things up like this and then crash and burn leaving others to deal with the fall out...

I'm very passionate about the roof over my head... I don't speculate and don't put myself in the position to be left holding the bag or having to write a blank check...

I know quite a number of folks that now live in Texas and just about all now call it home...

A big part of why Prop 13 resonated with voters is because the State took control of local tax dollars for schools...

It was one thing to pay high taxes for top local schools and quite another when the local tax money was taken to be spent hundreds of miles away...

I can see why Texans are more willing to pay higher taxes being that the money stays local.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots;29561101
They get donations which are 100% free, turn around and mark them up, (and mark them up to seriously outrageous prices) to sell to people with low incomes. [youtube
Awv8dySZaHE[/youtube]

Again, Goodwill's mission isn't to be a charity that sells things cheaply to people with low incomes. Goodwill would be just as happy with people with high incomes shopping there. Goodwill's mission is to be a job creation program for people down on their luck who otherwise wouldn't have a job because of a criminal past, drug dependency, or whatever else.

"Our Mission Goodwill works to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by strengthening communities, eliminating barriers to opportunity, and helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work.
"
Nowhere does that say "pass along goods cheaply to poor people". That is not their mission. They want to get as much as they can for their products and pass that along to the workers they are trying to help.

Last edited by buffettjr; 05-21-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Again, Goodwill's mission isn't to be a charity that sells things cheaply to people with low incomes. Goodwill would be just as happy with people with high incomes shopping there. Goodwill's mission is to be a job creation program for people down on their luck who otherwise wouldn't have a job because of a criminal past, drug dependency, or whatever else.

"Our Mission Goodwill works to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by strengthening communities, eliminating barriers to opportunity, and helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work.
"
Nowhere does that say "pass along goods cheaply to poor people". That is not their mission. They want to get as much as they can for their products and pass that along to the workers they are trying to help.

You're right. And I would still argue the people that shop there don't realize what you're saying. There are words that state a mission and then there are things we see. As a dear friend of mine would say, "I"m not going to pi$$ on your boot and tell you it's raining." I truly love those true Texans.

Can't even get a GD bag to put the junk in. Pitiful.

Badwill.

The horse is dead already.

wait...it's still kickin...

All I'm sayin is they oughta lower their prices and move the stuff faster. Salvation Army has lower prices and their stuff MOVES. They have specials on clothing with colored tags on certain days. Goodwill could make MORE doing this instead of having jacked up prices which the clientele that serves them cannot afford!

Ok, now it's dead.

Really. Promise.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-21-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With homestead they can only go up so much per year in value.
And you can protest.

But most buy RE hoping the value increases and they also do a lot of work to further increase the value.
Austin property taxes has 6 different taxing entities.

Everyone has county and ISD but over that, those others are specific to your locale and more than likely the residents voted one or more into existence.
10% per year...some limit.

Would you like a 10% per year raise?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Those from elsewhere that had huge real estate bubbles with the resulting crash might want to consider how Texas fared during that whole debacle and why, before advocating that we change our way of doing things to reflect the places that crashed and burned because of runaway housing prices - places with low property tax and with income tax to make up the difference. Our property tax system serves as a partial brake on that kind of rampant housing price increase.
Nonsense. And anyone who's been around Texas long enough and has half a brain would know better. I've seen three housing crashed here, one so bad prices were depressed for close to a decade. Of course, it's utterly unsurprising to hear how we're isolated from real estate crashes from a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin