Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I think it's criminal that bonds are passed to pay for routine maintenance & repairs. That shows the extreme incompetence of the people running your city & schools.
For cities - probably yes.

But a school district subject to Robin Hood is wise to minimize the amount of taxes they collect for M&O (Maintenance & Operations). That is where Robin Hood takes money.

Your ISD taxes have two parts (though you don't see it in your tax bill). M&O (typically 2/3 of the total) and I&S (interest & sinking or bond repayment). The portion collected for I&S is insulated from Robin Hood. In other words all of that money stays in the school district.

A school district will spend LESS money to replace a roof or A/C system with bond money than if they pay for it with regular funds. If a school district spends less, then taxpayers pay less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
1. We disagree on this. I think there are a significant number of seniors who enjoy their civic duty. And assuming you are correct, then this change gives them a vested reason to vote.

2. I understand that rent is market driven. This does not change the fact that the first x-amount of rent must go towards the owner's property tax bill unless said owner would like to lose her property on the county courthouse steps. Profit is optional, taxes are not.
I agree with you. One year when I early voted in San Antonio, the senior citizen in front of me to vote for something since THEY would not have to pay for it.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
This whole rising property tax situation is no longer doable for mid-wage earners like myself. Every year, we are having to squeeze something else to find the extra money since we are also trying to save for retirement. Yes, my house value is rising and I can defer when I am 65 but that is a ways off and our taxes would be even more ridiculous by that time. I give it another year or two at best and we are out of here. I imagine there are quite a few people in our shoes who bought a house in centralish areas a long time ago and can now no longer afford to stay. We are watching the "Aspenization" of Austin and it sucks.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
This whole rising property tax situation is no longer doable for mid-wage earners like myself. Every year, we are having to squeeze something else to find the extra money since we are also trying to save for retirement. Yes, my house value is rising and I can defer when I am 65 but that is a ways off and our taxes would be even more ridiculous by that time. I give it another year or two at best and we are out of here. I imagine there are quite a few people in our shoes who bought a house in centralish areas a long time ago and can now no longer afford to stay. We are watching the "Aspenization" of Austin and it sucks.
I agree with you and find the situation both sad and utterly frustrating. Why does the majority keep passing bonds? Is updating AISD cafeterias -- or financing a portion of the UT Medical School -- really something worth supporting if it increases the possibility that one can not remain in the area to "enjoy" the very "benefit" they have voted for?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Hmm...my tax bill is almost exactly where it was 5 years ago (and it was lower in-between then and now). I know that this isn't true for all properties, but looking at this one year is not necessarily a reliable way to look at it.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hmm...my tax bill is almost exactly where it was 5 years ago (and it was lower in-between then and now). I know that this isn't true for all properties, but looking at this one year is not necessarily a reliable way to look at it.
which part of the City do you live in?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
SW Austin (Villages of Western Oaks).

$279k in 2008, $277 as of this year's appraisal. I think it was originally $225k in 2001, though, so that would be (rate changes notwithstanding) about a 23% increase over 12 years, or just under 2% per year.

Rates have gone up slightly, but then had a big 'correction' do the the ISD cap thingy a few years ago.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
It is interesting to see what areas of town voted for or against the bonds. Most of South Austin voted against all of the bonds (S. of Ben White).

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/i..._elections.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-24-2014 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

Old 05-13-2013, 01:24 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
What is shocking is the small difference between passing and failing bonds. This whole election stank of special interests and greed. You'll all see the two bond packages that failed again....

Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Your atypical tax bill aside, voting for a bond is voting to have your taxes increased. Property valuations may change -- in either direction -- but that bond is always going to be on your financial back.

An interesting project would be to check what you've paid to Central Health over the past five-years and then watch what happens for the next five. It will not be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin