Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am Australian and despite the bloodhounds here that claim to be able to sniff out a troll, maybe they need to adjust their sense of smell; I am merely a person trying to find a good place to live in the US. For those of you who love highways, I can assure you we too have them in Australia. However, I just find the highways here in Austin to dominate the whole area. I wish I had the money to be able to afford to live in downtown Austin but alas I think it would be necessary for me do a daily commute on these big loop de loops.
As I mentioned I like the neighbourhoods and the downtown areas (though I did look at a house on the edge of the sprawl in Round Rock that just felt completely desolate, hot and characterless). I streetviewed most of this from home, but streetview doesn't really give you a taste of the wacky races style roads system. You may think it's arrogant but I guess the aesthetic of the roads here is just not to my taste.
No, I figured you were "not from these parts" and now I know you're looking at some of the warmer areas. These also tend to be the newer areas, and because the overpass system doesn't freeze, we can get away with what is essentially a set of roundabout paths in the air. I'll admit that they don't look very nice, but they serve their purpose.

The issue of affordability of housing is a problem. On the other hand - depends on where your job is and what you want to do to socialize. Our CBD is still very different to anything I know in Europe and anywhere I have heard of in Australia (I have expat friends there). I guess that now is the time to mention that we tend to be enslaved to our jobs in the US, with little holiday, and leisure time to relax is minimal. Again, this will depend somewhat on your specific job, but it's the #1 complaint I hear from European expats. #2 is lack of national health care.

My honest opinion is that Australia will do better than the US for the foreseeable future. If you have an American girlfriend you want to partner up with, I'd advise that the two of you stay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
This is such useless advice, and I hear it all the time. Walk down South Congress. OK - now what? On a hot July day, this is about the worst thing I can imagine. What does one DO on South Congress other than eat or shop?

Cross the river into downtown. OK. Lots of cities have rivers with bridges over them. Now I'm in downtown. More shopping, I suppose.

Jog on a path and be among nature. And about 100 other joggers, and what if I don't jog? Or I don't find jogging in 90 degree heat to be fun at all?

None of the options mentioned above are in any way unique to Austin. You can cross a river, shop and jog just about anywhere.
Well, except for oddball misanthropes being amidst people, taking in the scene, interacting with people on the street, is interesting and fun...but it's hard to describe such interest to oddball misanthropes.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM

320 posts, read 487,032 times
Try Raleigh NC, you can't see anything past all the trees. It was winter, when the leaves fell off the trees, before I knew some buildings even existed. We are leaving Raleigh and moving to Austin this summer for a job. I just went out to Austin for a visit and was a little overwhelmed by the monstrous freeways. Was not impressed with RR area, too much sprawl and strip malls that looks like anywhere USA. We settled on the Hill County area. Also, try Sarasota, FL. I'd live there if I could. Or SanDiego or Santa Barbara if I could afford it. Alexandria VA is also nice.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
That pretty much rules out all of Texas, Arizona, California, Florida - actually, just about all of the West, Southwest and Southern states. Parts of the NE and NW might work, but those will be minimal.
I'd say even California freeways are nicer looking than the ones in Texas. Sure, LA has some ugly freeways due to all the sprawl that butts up right against the freeways, but it still is less unsightly than the whole frontage road system we've got here. I totally get what the OP is getting at.

Plus, California also has some very nice and scenic freeways as well like 280 in the Bay Area. Our nicest freeway is probably Mopac and that's because it lacks the frontages some of the way.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Plus, California also has some very nice and scenic freeways as well like 280 in the Bay Area. Our nicest freeway is probably Mopac and that's because it lacks the frontages some of the way.
While it isn't technically a freeway, 620 from Lakeway Blvd over to Steiner is pretty. So is 360 from Bee Caves to Spicewood Springs.

I don't get all the hate towards frontage roads. I realize I grew up with them, but freeways generally look bad with them or without them.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
While it isn't technically a freeway, 620 from Lakeway Blvd over to Steiner is pretty. So is 360 from Bee Caves to Spicewood Springs.

Yes, neither of those are technically freeways and both lack frontages. Although 360 is a beautiful drive.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
I'd say even California freeways are nicer looking than the ones in Texas. Sure, LA has some ugly freeways due to all the sprawl that butts up right against the freeways, but it still is less unsightly than the whole frontage road system we've got here. I totally get what the OP is getting at.

Agree on both points. And those sections of 620 and Bee Caves are in no way freeways. It's more about the view from the freeway, and in that case, Austin leaves a lot to be desired as the system is plain ugly. People who have grown up here never notice though. I have a friend who is a native... when we tried to explain what dedicated freeway on-ramps/off ramps etc were and how TX was the exception to the rule she just couldn't grasp the concept.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,080 times
Quote:
...I wish I had the money to be able to afford to live in downtown Austin but alas I think it would be necessary for me do a daily commute on these big loop de loops.
It looks like you are at least extending your stay in Austin. I hope you have received the information you were originally seeking about highway/store density in other parts of the US.

Quote:
...I streetviewed most of this from home, but streetview doesn't really give you a taste of the wacky races style roads system. You may think it's arrogant but I guess the aesthetic of the roads here is just not to my taste.
My experience is that both Google and Bing maps (satellite maps, not road maps) of the Austin area are woefully out-of-date. For many parts, Bing's Bird's Eye seems to be behind by 3-5 years. So, be extra careful when using online maps to judge structures and actual streets.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
My wife and I just arrived 6 days ago with an eye to moving here ourselves.

I have to say I'm finding this place a little bizarre. I'd heard that Austin was the city to be and that it was pretty but I can't get past those god awful highways. I'm not finding the traffic too bad. In fact I think it's amazing to me that one can live so far out from the city (we're looking at Round Rock/ Cedar Park) yet it's so relatively quick to get downtown. But these highways just seem to cut an ugly swathe right through all of Austin and that although the neighbourhoods can be quite pretty, they seem very far flung.

My wife who's American tells me this sprawl/ highway/ strip mall kind of style is normal in the US. My question is, is it? We have a couple more days before we have to extend our accommodation here or move on. Does Florida have these eyesore style highways? How about Portland, Oregon?
You should take a ride on Cap of Texas Hwy. It is quite lovely! I find it odd that you would base your move on what a highway looks like.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
Try Raleigh NC, you can't see anything past all the trees. It was winter, when the leaves fell off the trees, before I knew some buildings even existed. We are leaving Raleigh and moving to Austin this summer for a job. I just went out to Austin for a visit and was a little overwhelmed by the monstrous freeways. Was not impressed with RR area, too much sprawl and strip malls that looks like anywhere USA. We settled on the Hill County area. Also, try Sarasota, FL. I'd live there if I could. Or SanDiego or Santa Barbara if I could afford it. Alexandria VA is also nice.
Raleigh is very nice and NC is a very pretty part of the country.

I don't think Sarasota has any advantages when it comes to traffic. It takes twice as long as you think it will to get anywhere due to traffic and poorly timed lights and your fellow drivers are actually more dangerous than the ones in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin