Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 18,180 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin in less than two months. GULP!!!
I'm heading down South to work for the AmeriCorps Program AKA, the American Peacecorps. I've worked at the Omaha World-Herald Newspaper in Advertising for close to five years. I'm burnt out on sales. I know, too young to be burnt out!!! Well, I don't have any children, husband or mortgage. I have always thrived in volunteer work. Plus, this will be a life changing event in my life. I enjoy live music, books, movies and partying. From what I've heard about Austin, I will love it. Great! BUT- where do I start? I have $3K in savings and will get a little less than $1K back in taxes in February. I'll be doing volunteer work and making less than $1K a month. This will be my biggest obstacle as I have to pay for my own housing. I've lived in Omaha Nebraska my whole life. I have some questions... does any one know a decent place to rent for around $350-$400/mo? I'll have to be downtown (78741 & 78701) at 8 AM M-F. I'm looking for a studio apartment in a decent neighborhood. I'm 27 and am not looking to be a "college" student again. Meaning, I'd rather not have a room mate! Is this too much to ask?

OKAY, any tips on the cost of living, apt areas to check out or anything else are greatly appreciated. ***I'm heading to Austin 11/7 PM - 11/10 AM***
The guy I'll be staying with will be at work and I'll be taking the bus.

Thanks,
Clueless in Omaha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
I will leave the locals determine the cold, hard facts for you...but I think you are going to be hard pressed to find anything near downtown for that amount of money I have been looking at apt's near Seton Main (hospital) and the rent is going for $1000-1200 for a 1 bdrm!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
You need to be looking either very far South or very far North. You may find something East but the nicer, high end apartments are all filled with UT students so I would think sleeping could be problematic 8 months/year.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
You are looking at a loooong commute or a roomate. I really doubt there is an apt. in the city limits of Austin in a safe area that goes for $400/month or less. Back in 1987 your could get a 2/2 apt. off of Far West for $360, but by 1989 I was paying $560. No telling what it is today. 1 bdrms are only marginally cheaper.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
If you find a studio apartment west of I-35 for less than $500, I'd be shocked...maybe if there was a murder in the apartment previously. I would think decent 1/1's would go for $600-800.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,518 times
would you be willing to rent a room in someone's house? try craigslist.com...you may find what you are looking for there. best wishes!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
would you be willing to rent a room in someone's house? try craigslist.com...you may find what you are looking for there. best wishes!
This is good advice. Try to rent a room or find a roomate(but I'm with you...last resort only....)

For a little perspective, my wife and I are renting an 835 sqft one bedroom/one bath for $775 on S1st just south of Oltorf. A great location. Granted, it has a pool(most apartments here do) and a little covered porch(most do), but it's not extravagant by any means, with pedestrian interiors/appliances and lame carpet, but it's 2 miles from downtown and the river, it seems safe and well cared for, on a bus line(there's a stop in front of our apartment building, there are a lot of cool places within walking/biking distance etc...This was about as cheap as we could find without getting too far out.

Here's the thing though, if you find an apartment on or near a bus line, you could still get downtown in a reasonable amount of time, so you don't need to be right downtown. Just remember, buses get stuck in traffic just like cars, so depending on the route it might not make any difference.

There is also a hostel on the south east side right on Lady Bird Lake. I wonder if you could stay there temporarily while you save money and figure out other options. You seem like the kind of person who could make a lot out of a limited situation? It's also a great way to meet people.

HI - Austin :: Hostels to Reserve in Texas, United States

Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
I just checked the hostel's website and they don't book more than fourteen nights...oh well. I would still check into some short-term housing until you get yourself adjusted.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 AM

I'm such a Polly Anna- Thanks for the insight EVERYONE! I have checked craigslist and have some prospects. So, that is promising.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

you seem to know a lot about austin. do you have any clue on how to get public transportation from cedar creek to austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: