Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM

320 posts, read 487,032 times

Advertisements

Doesn't Wilmington NC also have a film scene? I know NC is trying to attract that industry and the Raleigh area is also growing for gaming companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 PM

19 posts, read 38,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well, UT-Austin just graduated dozens of people with brand new degrees in RTF (radio, television, film) and they are also looking for experience and contacts. They will have a built in network of UT grads and whatever network they built up while in school (with AFS, SxSW, ad agencies, whatever). Austin is a pretty easy place to network once you have an in, once you have that first connection with someone but if you don't have that first connection . . . it can be tough.

Austin is filled with people with new degrees and just like new accountants are helped by having a degree from UT, so are filmmakers. Now, there is the same thing out in LA with USC but the creative community is just so much larger out there. There is even a bit of a midwestern mafia you might fall into out in LA. Southern CA is FULL of people from Iowa! I say, go BIG! Go to LA! That is where the industry truly is and where most of the jobs, networks, and contacts are AND it is your best bet when it comes to vaguely film-related jobs (office jobs at studios, at agencies, as an extra) providing the contacts and experience to move up quickly.

Austin is where LA-established film people move to in order to raise a family! Those LA connections will last a long time and will help you someday later in Austin.
You make a lot of good points. I know that LA is the best place to network, and in fact I personally know a fair amount of Midwesterners and classmates out there. Thing is, most of them are wealthy and I'm not. My biggest concern with LA is the cost of living (housing is 140% more than Austin!), the uber-competition, and the Hollywood machine.

That being said, you have inspired me to give LA a second look. Maybe I'll just try it for a year or something. Dang it, this is a really hard decision....

Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothpunk86 View Post
Hey, I'm probably going to move to Austin here soon, but I'm kinda nervous about the weather. I'm from Iowa and I like things called seasons. I'm the rare person who loves cold and gloomy weather, and hates summer heat. I like wearing hoodies and flannel. So....

I kinda doubt the weather will deter me -- I'm moving because of the film scene. But I'm still just curious what to expect, and how to prepare.

...Also, should I be worried about snakes and scorpions?
How bad is it in Austin?
Bad - very bad - for 4-5 months of the year. Horrible in fact.

Does it snow?
Very rarely. But we get some helluva entertaining ice storms now and then.

Can I still expect colourful, halloweeny autumns?
Nope.

How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel?
October through March you there are possibilities.

How often is it cloudy?
Lately - not very often at all.

How often does it break 100*F? 100s are frequent between June and Mid September. High 90s can go from May to October.

Is AC super abundant?
Thank god yes.

That being said - at least you won't be in freaking Iowa. No offense dude. . .but c'mon.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM

227 posts, read 366,287 times
New Orleans is actually the next big thing in non-LA/NYC film making from what I hear, and is actually taking business away from Austin. Again, this is all second hand but from people who work in the industry and have moved from LA or Austin to NO. Not much better on the heat or crime, but definitely cheaper than LA/Chicago. Guess you trade scorpions for gators....

Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM

52 posts, read 73,310 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm probably going to move to Austin here soon, but I'm kinda nervous about the weather. I'm from Iowa and I like things called seasons. I'm the rare person who loves cold and gloomy weather, and hates summer heat. I like wearing hoodies and flannel. So....

How bad is it in Austin? Does it snow? Can I still expect colourful, halloweeny autumns? How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel? How often is it cloudy? How often does it break 100*F? Is AC super abundant?

I kinda doubt the weather will deter me -- I'm moving because of the film scene. But I'm still just curious what to expect, and how to prepare.

...Also, should I be worried about snakes and scorpions?

I'm in Plano 2 1/2 hours North of Austin and it is HOT, I mean almost 5 straight months over 100 degrees hot. I have never been to Iowa so I cannot compare city to city, but I have been in TX for 12 years and some days the heat is unbearable. (one of the reasons I was looking to move but looks like it's never going to happen).
If you do move I highly encourage you to rent NOT buy a home, first see if you can adapt to the heat.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
I like wearing hoodies and flannel. So....

How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel?
For my 12 year old son, hoodies are worn year round, even in 100 degree heat, lol .

I ask him if he's hot, but being "cool" is more important than comfort for his age. Plus he says the hoodie part protects his head from the sun.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
New Orleans is actually the next big thing in non-LA/NYC film making from what I hear, and is actually taking business away from Austin. Again, this is all second hand but from people who work in the industry and have moved from LA or Austin to NO. Not much better on the heat or crime, but definitely cheaper than LA/Chicago. Guess you trade scorpions for gators....
Yes, if I was in the film industry, I would live in New Orleans. History, architecture, great cuisine, and very cheap rents. It's not overrated like Austin, in fact I think it's underrated. Plus, you're closer to the great beaches of Destin, the great fishing of South Louisiana, and plenty of historical homes and buildings. There are also no water restrictions there, ever, because they take their water from the Mississippi River which will never dry up. It is cloudier and cooler there(usually 5-10 degrees), but far more humid.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
One person exaggerated, we had 3 straight consecutive months of 100 or 100 plus temperatures-not 5. I think this was 2 years ago? However it felt like 5 months.

It snows about once every 7-15 years and it last overnight and sometimes 2 days, the 2nd one dirty slush. You can wear a hoodie as a winter coat and yes a few folks will wear an ankle length coat just about, if it gets to 32 or 35 degrees.

AC is everywhere or we would not survive-really.

You must drink a little sweet drink each day it is horrible hot or you might get heat exhaustion. Gatorade helps. I realized this is where sweet tea comes from in the south. To the northerners who have not fainted yet it seems an excessive need for sugar. Southerners know best in this case. I am a hybrid-I moved to Texas when I was turning 8 so I can see things from both sides.

Also physiology determines a lot. Those that are tall and skinny like my husband do much better. Super fat people-some like the heat. I think fat makes some people feel cold-extra estrogen. My physiology belongs in Siberia so it is hard on me.

Ah the film thing. I am a filmmaker. It is a good city to make films yourself, not a good city to find work out of film school. LA is better to find work-they still need masses to fill the low jobs and work their way up. Austin is good to make your own films in-but so is any city where someone lives that has motivation. If you have motivation you can make a film anywhere. Not so many have motivation and if they do often they have no talent. So that is my opinion.

Best of luck with your choice.

Last edited by creepy; 05-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I appreciate you saying Austin is overrated. It is. I would prefer others go elsewhere for their flavor of the moment. I am a lifer and too many rich people are making this a really boring city.

My slogan "DON'T MOVE HERE".

Peace out tho.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 PM

174 posts, read 311,913 times
I moved here from Iowa myself (after spending 7 years in Iowa for college - post grad stuff) from southern California. It's been almost a year. I moved here because my s/o got a job as an engineer here. I know that summer you are talking about last year. I had to stay behind for the summer to sell our house and it was HORRIBLE. I remember my scooter being parked in the shade and the temp showing 114... and humid...omg the humidity. I do not miss that at all. I miss the people though... Iowa people are simply the best.

In an effort to help you I'll try to explain my perspective from moving from IA to Austin (my s/o's as well).

Weather:
- It does not get cold here. I had just got this awesome peacoat right before we had to move and quite honestly I haven't been able to use it!! I think the coldest I have seen it get is in the 30's in the middle of the night, but it bounces back up as soon as the sun rises. (Think October, or early fall for Iowa, when it doesn't randomly snow).
- It goes get quite warm here. If you can handle last summer in Iowa you should be fine. They don't have that kind of humidity here. It's more of a dry heat (although it does get a little humid once and awhile). Keep in mind I didn't live here during the summer that they had 90 days over 100 degrees. Although I did grow up in So cal and before my family moved to the coast we lived in the desert and it was frequently 115-120 and honestly I'd take that dry heat over Iowa's steaminess any day of the week. I'd definitely characterize this place as warm though. But for the most part I really don't think it's all that bad weather wise... definitely less tornadoes. I moved here last July and honestly I found August to be pretty easy to deal with... And I'm a runner, so I'm coming from the perspective of running outside 6 times a week on my lunch breaks or after work...so usually at the hotter times.

- Cost of living: Well I saw that it was mentioned that LA was off your list because it was something like 140% more expensive to live there? A lot of that comes into the cost of housing. Since I think you are more looking in the neighborhood of renting or having roommates the cost with Austin is fairly comparable (depending on where you live of course). To purchase a house yes CA is still more expensive but Austin is rapidly rising in cost and to be honest it is an absolute b$$ch to buy a house here. Mostly because they don't have a lot of inventory. The average house is on the market for 15 days I believe... at least thats what I think I heard. We were dream buyers (perfect credit, just sold our house in IA, jobs, blah blah) but we just couldn't find a house because it always seemed that as soon as a house went on the market there was an accepted offer. I was also surprised at the prices... people pay the same price for a home here that my friend paid in OC that is 20 minutes from the ocean... and guess what, there is no ocean here.

- My car insurance doubled from Iowa. I have a clean driving record and am a 30 year old female, to say that I was surprised by this is an overstatement. Just out of curiosity I did a quote on what my car insurance would be in southern CA and the quote came back about 25% cheaper than Austin.)

- Surroundings: I think its beautiful here. The hill country of Texas is truly gorgeous. I LOVE to run here in the preserves (particularly barton creek).

- Traffic: it sucks. If you are coming from Iowa it will drive you crazy. My s/o is a native midwesterner and it drives him nuts. He's just not used to it. I grew up with the 405, 5, 101 etc etc in California so my opinion is they really need to fix their infrastructure, but it's likely limited due to the preserves (which i love) and really just having space to do it. I do wish they would create a better public transportation system.

- the people: lots of Texas pride here, but honestly it doesn't surprise me (just don't say you're from CA or my gosh they will bash the heck out of you). Iowa people are nicer, but, well it's Iowa. Definitely much nicer here than in LA (where most people are only nice because they hope to get something from you)... I find people here to be REAL.

- Allergies - I'd be remiss if I did not mention this. I have no problem (yet) with the allergens here but I hear they can come at any time... months or even years after living here. My s/o is absolutely MISERABLE. Especially since they cannot find out what he is allergic to, although they think it's some sort of mold, he gets horribly ill when it rains. He never once in his life had allergies previously, he usually made fun of my dust allergies ( I guess I get the last laugh here).

After reading what you have said I have to admit that I really don't think austin is the right place for you. I think you should definitely consider LA or Seattle (super gloomy!). I'd love to have another Iowan here, but if the fit doesn't work it just doesn't work. If you decide on LA feel free to message me and I can give you some helpful suggestions.

Overall I like Austin a lot. I also see it's negatives, but for me they outweigh the positives. If you can try visiting... i'd say go for the summer months to really get a perspective of the type of heat they have here... you can easily handle the rest of the year (but it likely won't be as cold as you want). Either way good luck and sorry for the rambling post I'm a bit tired!

Oh... and Go Hawkeyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: