Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 PM

50 posts, read 190,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
To give you an idea of my experience at Waterloo Avery, DW and I ordered burgers and mine came on a nice bun with appropriate grill marks on the bread. Bad news was...the bun was COLD! Did they really serve a refrigerated bun from last night? or do they buy 'pre-charred' buns and not bother to toss them on the grill/flat top at all? I'd vote for a clean sweep of the place...DW doesn't like Cajun and she's from MISSISSIPPI !!!
My one experience with the AR Waterloo was a few years ago when my family didn't plan ahead for where to watch a UT football game that was on cable. The first thing we ordered were fried pickles. They came cold with no pickles in sight! The wings were only slightly more edible. I'm surprised the place lasted until now.

(Sorry for adding to the OT posts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becintexas View Post
Hello. We are going to be moving to Austin in the next few months. We have kiddos (high school and middle school aged) and are looking for safe neighborhoods to look at. We'd like to rent a home (1500/mo-ish and not ready to buy) and near a Metrorail station for easy access. I would love suggestions on areas with good schools and hopefully an area where we can walk to restaurants and different things. I don't want to be scared to walk out of my front door, ya know? Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!
To answer your question:
Leander has some residential nearby but you're not going to be very near many restaurants.
Lakeline station has some houses nearby and a previous poster told you about those.
Howard is surrounded by fields. It's a park and ride.
Kramer is surrounded by commercial development. I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can walk to from there.
There's lots of residential and they're building houses near Crestview but something big enough to fit a family probably won't be in your budget.
Highland used to be a mall, and there aren't any houses nearby.
MLK Jr and Saltillo Plaza don't feed into good schools (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM

36 posts, read 175,158 times
The Howard Metrorail station is within walking distance of the Wells Branch Neighborhood. Located between Mopac, Hwy. 35 and the 45 Toll Hwy. Awesome family neighborhood, RRISD, lots of families out and about walking to all kinds of fun places. Look into it

Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
also if you add biking to a station you greatly expand the options to live. You can take your bike on the train.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
The Howard Metrorail station is within walking distance of the Wells Branch Neighborhood. Located between Mopac, Hwy. 35 and the 45 Toll Hwy. Awesome family neighborhood, RRISD, lots of families out and about walking to all kinds of fun places. Look into it
I don't consider having to cross under a highway "walkable". But that's me. It is close-ish, but it's more bikeable than walkable. There's also limited restaurants in that area.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
I don't consider having to cross under a highway "walkable". But that's me. It is close-ish, but it's more bikeable than walkable. There's also limited restaurants in that area.
Yeah, I'd say that's a "Honey, can you drop me at the train station?" sort of layout. Agree with the restaurant comment...you wouldn't starve; but you don't have many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin