Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM

319 posts, read 608,148 times

Advertisements

Does anyone familiar with these schools know what the Jewish population is like? I notice that there's a synagogue in Rosedale. Does that imply there's Jews living in that area? It's reform so maybe not too many who feel the need to walk. How would it compare to Hill/Murchison/Anderson? Are academics comparable at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM

361 posts, read 1,159,768 times
I live nearby and while there are Jewish folks in the area, it doesn't compare to the concentration you will experience in NW Hills. Both tracks are good school-wise but if being close to other Jews is important to you, I would look in NW Hills.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,885,400 times
There is almost no Jewish presence in Tarrytown. Zip. Nada. Temple Beth Shalom is on Hart, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreg...ustin,_Texas); also the HEB off Far West has a real Kosher food section.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 05-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Nada.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 AM

319 posts, read 608,148 times
The synagogue I see in Rosedale is Beth Israel. Come to think of it, I'm kind of surprised that they managed to get that domain name. Anyway, I'm really asking about Rosedale rather than Tarrytown. I guess I'm ok with there not being a lot of Jews living in the area as NWH isn't far away ande as long as there's decent families around but am more concerned about what my kids will find in the schools. Diversity is good but not so much as to cause isolation, as I experienced that growing up as well. How many do you think are at Bryker - a few or a dozen? Same for OHenry and Austin High but that's much further away. I suspect I know the answer but would like to hear from someone with first hand experience if possible.

NWH, Jester, and Great Hills are relatively quiet neighborhoods so just looking at other areas that might be more lively. I think there's some in Allandale and Highland Park is good I hear but I hear terrible things about Lamar and McCallum.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,034,074 times
Your info about Lamar and McCallum is out of date! Lamar MS now has a middle school fine arts academy and is becoming more and more desirable. McCallum has the HS Fine Academy and is very well regarded. Personally, I prefer its diversity and size over Anderson.

Brykerwoods Elementary is a small school, very hard to predict demographics. Beth Israel has a BIG reformed congregation, not sure how many actually live in the surrounding area. There is a fairly consistent Jewish contingent in Austin private schools (particularly St. Andrews 1-12, St Stephens 6-12 both Episcopal and St. Francis School which is independent).

If you want lively, look in NW Hills close to Far West.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM

361 posts, read 1,159,768 times
??? I live in Tarrytown and yes, there are Jewish families here. One across the street and several in the surrounding blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
There is almost no Jewish presence in Tarrytown. Zip. Nada. Temple Beth Shalom is on Hart, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreg...ustin,_Texas); also the HEB off Far West has a real Kosher food section.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,885,400 times
I live in Tarrytown too. A few Jews in an area doesn't make for a Jewish presence-- (and that goes for any ethnicity). There is a Jewish presence in Northwest Hills, with a small but well defined cultural infrastructure.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM

109 posts, read 161,022 times
Anecdotal, to be sure, but I have a couple of Jewish friends who weren't happy with their kids' overall first experience at Brykerwoods, and they decided to move to Northwest Hills. Another Jewish family I'm close with lives in Hyde Park and their kids go to Lee Elementary. They're happy there. But I definitely think that if you want to be tied in with the main Jewish community in Austin, Northwest Hills is the place to be.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 AM

416 posts, read 578,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I think there's some in Allandale and Highland Park is good I hear but I hear terrible things about Lamar and McCallum.
What "terrible things"? First of all, McCallum is probably the best overall school in Austin. When I went to school there it had genuine diversity (folks from Highland Park to University Hills), smart, dedicated teachers, and creative students. McCallum was probably the closest thing to racial and socioeconomic harmony I ever experienced while growing up in Austin (apart, I suppose, from the years I spent as a kid in Milwood, which was surprisingly diverse for NW Austin in the '90s). And I had amazing teachers. Secondly, I went to public schools in both of the areas you mentioned. During my time, the Jewish presence at Lamar/McCallum was much stronger than the Jewish presence at Murchison/Anderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin