Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM

341 posts, read 675,017 times

Advertisements

I lived in Austin for a little while and although I was not searching for such a thing, did notice the trend that the OP is currently negotiating/dealing with.

You're going to notice that a lot of the people you are seeing (or rather, not seeing) are usually the types of individuals that grew up within the area and are now attending the local Juco. These kids have an established group of friends social areas and are most likely not venturing out to meet new people.

However, on the campus of UT, there's a lot of transplants with no support system whom are openly and positively seeking peers to develop bonds with.

Blue skies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM

163 posts, read 408,762 times
Get a hobby. Lots of folks your age (and even twice as old, like me) are into running, cycling, or mountain biking, and those are things you can do just about anywhere without a ton of money if you buy a used bike. Also rowing, hiking, rock climbing... there are groups and message boards for all that stuff.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Try Meetup. There are groups for all interests and groups for specific ages (under 30, over 40, Boomers, you name it, it's there, and if it's not, you can start your own Meetup group and put it out there for likeminded folks.)

Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM

50 posts, read 190,952 times
Like others have said, you just have to figure out what you like to do and sort of put yourself out there. There's so many different groups in Austin and using meetup.com or even just google, it's easy to find them. I am not athletic by any means but I joined a kickball league last year and have met lots of people and made so many friends through it. Meetup.com has the advantage that most people in these groups are very open to meeting others or they wouldn't have joined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin