U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 59,234 times

Advertisements

Im originally from houston, but right now i live in boston. I'm going to be moving to austin in may. my wife and i are looking to build. what can i expect to pay per square foot for building a decent home.

-climbcentex
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM

14,438 posts, read 31,754,973 times
Depends a lot on where you are looking and how old a house, etc. In our neighborhood in SW Austin it is about 119/ft2.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 AM

6,286 posts, read 16,592,521 times
$100 to $120 per square foot will build a custom quality home with granite, stainless appliances, nice cabinets and bathrooms, not including the land cost. You can build a budget home for $80 to $90 per square foot, not including land costs.

Steve

Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
$100 to $120 per square foot will build a custom quality home with granite, stainless appliances, nice cabinets and bathrooms, not including the land cost. You can build a budget home for $80 to $90 per square foot, not including land costs.

Steve

I would say that would buy a semi custom or tract house in Austin. I don't think you could get custom for that price range.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 5,960,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I would say that would buy a semi custom or tract house in Austin. I don't think you could get custom for that price range.
As a point of comparison, David Weekley's build-on-your-lot program quoted us roughly $135-$155 a square foot for high end interior finishes. Keep in mind though, that this was quote for a very rocky, hillside lot and so there was some additional engineering and land prep costs associated with that particular quote. So Austin Steve's #s don't seem terribly far off to me.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 PM

14,438 posts, read 31,754,973 times
Yeah, if you take out the lot, that is about right. The 120/ft includes a lot for a tract (Newmark) home.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM

My numbers are correct. I know what I'm talking about.

I'm 1 month away from completion of my own custom home, built by a custom builder, and we're right at $113/sqft including all site work, septic, landscaping, sprinklers, etc. for what most would consider to be a high end home. The lot cost $100K, so even adding that to the total cost we're still at $143/sqft turnkey (excluding carrying costs (interest) of the lot and construction loan, which I haven't calculated).

Steve

Old 11-05-2007, 06:01 PM

7,447 posts, read 13,169,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My numbers are correct. I know what I'm talking about.

I'm 1 month away from completion of my own custom home, built by a custom builder, and we're right at $113/sqft including all site work, septic, landscaping, sprinklers, etc. for what most would consider to be a high end home. The lot cost $100K, so even adding that to the total cost we're still at $143/sqft turnkey (excluding carrying costs (interest) of the lot and construction loan, which I haven't calculated).

Steve
Ive been talking to a number of custom builders and high end seems to be around 200/ft.

I think a lot of it is about the cost of the materials and architectural finishout, things like $100 door hinges and pewter doorknobs add up fast. Not to mention bathrooms and kitchens which can really add up fast (frameless showers in full granite, custom tile work, $40/sq ft tiles instead of $15 or even $2/sq ft tiles).

I have several friends that are building around $300/sq ft and we are looking to build a new place around $200/sq ft

Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Ive been talking to a number of custom builders and high end seems to be around 200/ft.

I think a lot of it is about the cost of the materials and architectural finishout, things like $100 door hinges and pewter doorknobs add up fast. Not to mention bathrooms and kitchens which can really add up fast (frameless showers in full granite, custom tile work, $40/sq ft tiles instead of $15 or even $2/sq ft tiles).

I have several friends that are building around $300/sq ft and we are looking to build a new place around $200/sq ft
The other factor is the builder. Ours is a small family builder, but they build enough homes (about 40-50 per year) to get volume prices from the vendors they use. Also, we picked a floorplan they've built numerous times already, so they know they're cost on it and don't have to pad the bid for unknown surrpises like they would with a floorplan that I bring from an architect or purchased from the internet.

We have the granite, frameless shower, custom tile, natuaral wood cabinets, etc. I guess "high end" is a subjective term. I personally think there is a cap on what is needed in a nice home, so my "high end" is a practical, nice home, but not a glitzy, overdone project.

Steve

Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 44,579 times
would any one be willing or able to give references for a good custom builder in Austin? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: