U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 AM

4,779 posts, read 10,478,999 times

Advertisements

Our tenants want a dog. Not totally opposed to it, but want to know what I should charge them for a deposit and any additional fees (non-refundable cleaning fee?). I've already been doing some searches, but I know a few of you on here are landlords so I thought I'd ask. The dog is a large breed (lab mix) if that makes a difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,985,475 times
Keep in mind that a dog will cause damage and increased wear and tear on the property. That's a given. So in addition to damage deposit and cleaning fee, you really should consider charging additional rent. Plus, you need to check your insurance coverage for limitations.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM

4,779 posts, read 10,478,999 times
Yeah bad timing on their part, the lease is up at the end of the month. Rent is definitely going up!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,076,996 times
I have seen a large breed (lab mix) dog totally tear up a house. It was not my house but the dog owners were friends renting a house. The dog owners locked him in the garage, which he did not like, so he chewed up the door frame and clawed a hole through the door to get inside. When they covered the hole with a stout piece of plywood he clawed his way through the drywall next to the door.

I have also seen houses so badly infested with fleas that you could not sit on the carpeted floor without being chewed up by the little buggers.

As a landlord I would be very wary of those kinds of problems. If you really like the tenants and want to work with them I would charge at least $100 more per month, require a much larger damage deposit and a non-refundable flea treatment fee to be used when they move out. If you call it a cleaning fee make sure it is to enough to totally clean the entire house when they move out, as they are likely to consider it a "get home free" card on any cleaning of the premises if it is too low. And legally they would probably be right.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 AM

80 posts, read 180,552 times
Austin is a dog town and as a landlord you're going to have to have a policy on dogs, if not for your present tenants at least for the future. I sympathize with renters and their beloved pets trying to find a home, and yet...

But they don't have a dog now? Um. Are they getting a puppy? Remember puppies aren't house trained. Or an "unknown" dog, meaning they are not privy to the dog's socialization? Will the dog be fixed?

Even good dogs will claw the woodwork trying to get in (or out). What about a pet door? Are you going to put this in or let your tenants? Will it be a home carpentry job or done by a professional? What if the dog pees in the house? Or pees on the lawn? You'll need to replace the carpeting when they move but it might be a great excuse to do stained concrete. How about fencing? Many dogs are escape artists and dig under fences or chew their way through wood or even chain link. There are non-insecticidal, pre-emergent flea treatments (Archer is one) for yards and must be sprayed monthly--it would be a good idea to start this to keep the flea population down. All dogs that go outside have fleas. Is your back yard appropriate for a pooping room? Will you be putting in a dog run?

I'm sure there will be some protests from the dog owners on this forum but you might consider requiring a certificate of training from say, k9 academy or even petsmart. Mostly because new dog owners think that discipline is too hard--the bigger breeds really need a firm hand or they'll be the boss.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 PM

9,048 posts, read 17,844,579 times
I charge a $250 per pet non-refundable deposit which is applied to extra cleaning. That is up from about $150 a few years ago. I'm still not charging pet rent, although it seems like the last couple of tenants I've had seem to expect it.. so I might start. You can certainly spend quite a bit of money dealing with pet damage.

I've been lucky with the dog owners that have rented my place; I think because of the high rent, perhaps the market for that place is folks who take good care of and have a well-behaved pet. In a perfect world, I'd have a no-pets policy, but we are dog/cat people ourselves and this really is a dog-friendly town. So we just try to very carefully screen tenants and have a reasonably restrictive policy.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM

113 posts, read 190,574 times
I researched this recently. Market seems to be $20-25/month + $250 non-refundable pet fee. Other things to do are make sure dogs are trained, perhaps meet them. Makes a difference if you have tile floors vs. carpet as well etc. (less damage). The tenant i was talking to had 2 40lb dogs. iw as thinking 25/month rent + $250 non-refundable fee + $500 refundable deposit... that may be steep, but i'd rather cut my rent 25/month (so 50 vig to pets) and rent to non-pet owner.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM

279 posts, read 1,099,041 times
$250-$500 depending on complex..usually broken up 1/2 non refundable and 1/2 refundable...It's extremely hard to get back even if your place is spotless and you hired a cleaning company. They just seem to hold on to them. $10 monthly rent as well.. Monterey Oaks in South Austin & now Villages of Turtle Rock North Austin experience. I visited Riata..same

Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 PM

279 posts, read 1,099,041 times
My friend also leases a house in North Austin..she has a cat and they charged her $250 total non refundable and $10 a mth which they told her its the same for a dog as well. 2 pet maximum in the house...same as my apartments policy though I have seen tons break that rule

Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 AM

2,393 posts, read 9,081,550 times
Friends apt charges him a deposit of 300 per pet 3 pets allowed if combo otherwise 2..has to "interview" said pet then extra 20 bucks per pet per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: