Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked there (I can never get past the restaurant to go to the grocery), but have you tried Asia Market? Or, more likely, MT Supermarket? Don't know if Fiesta has sprouts, but they're another possibility. The north location is the original, but they have a south location now, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Part of it is that I am used to a different variety of produce than what I find here in TX (makes perfect sense, the west is 2000 miles away). Central Market carries a lot of the "brands" of produce I am used to seeing in West Coast markets, the shelf life of produce purchased that has been on a truck for days vs a few hours is significant and just not something I had ever considered. The cost to truck all that produce affects the price, again, just not something I was expecting. It makes perfect sense, I had just not considered it.
I'd put this in the category of "this place sucks because there are no good bagels, pizza, ..." No joke. There is also no good queso in Boston. The beef barbecue sucks in California.

One has to adapt - learn to love Poteet strawberries. Stonewall peaches (just not this year!). Valley red grapefruit and other citrus. Luling watermelon. Texas pecans instead of almonds. I've lived, and cooked, all over the world - literally. I had to stop making green enchilada sauce in Germany because there is no such thing as a tomatillo there. But I never said German groceries were deficient because they didn't have them. Heck, I was happy they had cilantro and avocados. In the same vein, West coast oysters are awful. Shrimp there are frozen, not fresh. Abalone has to be beaten before eating.

So go with the flow and stop trying to grow hydrangeas here and learn to love lantana.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'd put this in the category of "this place sucks because there are no good bagels, pizza, ..." No joke. There is also no good queso in Boston. The beef barbecue sucks in California.

One has to adapt - learn to love Poteet strawberries. Stonewall peaches (just not this year!). Valley red grapefruit and other citrus. Luling watermelon. Texas pecans instead of almonds. I've lived, and cooked, all over the world - literally. I had to stop making green enchilada sauce in Germany because there is no such thing as a tomatillo there. But I never said German groceries were deficient because they didn't have them. Heck, I was happy they had cilantro and avocados. In the same vein, West coast oysters are awful. Shrimp there are frozen, not fresh. Abalone has to be beaten before eating.

So go with the flow and stop trying to grow hydrangeas here and learn to love lantana.
Wonderful post! (Or move to East Texas and grow hydrangeas like crazy. Nice thing about Central Texas is that if you don't like the topography/weather, pick a direction and drive 50 miles and you'll find something completely different!)

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wonderful post! (Or move to East Texas and grow hydrangeas like crazy. Nice thing about Central Texas is that if you don't like the topography/weather, pick a direction and drive 50 miles and you'll find something completely different!)
I was so hard headed that I was determined to grow hydrangeas here. So, there is a corner by the pool - west wall and south wall. Have a pot with automatic drip irrigation where I have my ONE quite pink hydrangea growing. All the aluminum sulfate on earth can't overcome our alkaline water, so no blue ones for you! Never gets direct sun, and does quite well.

Kinda the same story on azaleas - grow well in west Mississippi (East Texas to the rest of you) - exercise in frustration here.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM

170 posts, read 299,050 times
on a slightly different (but related subject), i drove thru rollingwood today and there is definitely activity at the new trader joe's site. that is a traffic jam waiting to happen. if anyone remembers the somewhat skanky, but recently closed, city market on ben white and south first, i would be willing to invest a few dollars in an aldi supermarket when it opens in that location.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
I've tried looking it up, but only find several months old info regarding the finding of horse DNA in some of the beef products sold at Aldi's in Europe. That would definitely give me pause about shopping there and would probably limit it to fruit, veggies and non-meat products.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I've tried looking it up, but only find several months old info regarding the finding of horse DNA in some of the beef products sold at Aldi's in Europe. That would definitely give me pause about shopping there and would probably limit it to fruit, veggies and non-meat products.
Whoa, talk about a rush to judgment!

First of all, the European horsemeat scandal affected many different retailers, in many different countries, not just Aldi's, and there is no indication they had any knowledge there was anything amiss. Second, there's no indication any of the products involved entered the American market. Third, the meat suppliers involved don't operate in the US.

IOW, it's unfair to blame Aldi's, and there's no reason to worry.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM

28 posts, read 49,234 times
I miss Aldi! They have them in Dallas. They started the no bag trend.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Whoa, talk about a rush to judgment!

First of all, the European horsemeat scandal affected many different retailers, in many different countries, not just Aldi's, and there is no indication they had any knowledge there was anything amiss. Second, there's no indication any of the products involved entered the American market. Third, the meat suppliers involved don't operate in the US.

IOW, it's unfair to blame Aldi's, and there's no reason to worry.
No, not rushing to judgement, they said they didn't know of the activities of some of their suppliers. But horsemeat is not frowned upon in some countries in Europe, so it would be interesting to read a thorough investigative report about what was really going on.

But, it truly wouldn't matter to me, since there are such excellent choices already in Austin, so I would just vote with my feet.

BTW, how are you OpenD, I'm used to seeing/reading you on the Hawaii forum?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
But, it truly wouldn't matter to me, since there are such excellent choices already in Austin, so I would just vote with my feet.
Well, Aldi also operates Trader Joe's, and there are three TJ's coming to Austin soon.

Quote:
BTW, how are you OpenD, I'm used to seeing/reading you on the Hawaii forum?
Yes, I still have many good friends, many good memories, and a little property back in Austin, but I've called the Big Island home for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin