Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 PM

152 posts, read 196,317 times

Advertisements

We think we have a house chosen but upon research I may look at other places. We like the Lakes Travis area . The house we're looking at is in Bella Montagna. We have 4 kids under age 8. We're very outdoorsy. Our kids play outside all the time. We don't allow video games or excessive TV so they have to. Thus we need safe streets. Preferably a cul de sac. We would like a neighborhood with other kids. We have 60 mile lake views and an acre right now with lots of trees and privacy so we're spoiled. We can't stand cookie cutter neighborhoods with no trees and houses stacked on top of each other on .3 acre lots. It seems Steiner Ranch has the amenities but poorly setup. We looked at Rough Hollow but you can spit on your neighbor for a million. We can spend about 1mill. Where else should I think about? Schools need to be excellent public with 0-15 year old homes. Any websites besides this to read up on neighborhoods around Lake Travis. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM

326 posts, read 684,807 times
Is there a reason you aren't considering Eanes? You have the budget for it...

There's nothing wrong with Bella Montagna. It's exclusive and gated. Therefore, your children should be able to safely play in the streets without worrying about many cars driving by.

However, if you would like to continue looking at other possibilities in the area, you might also check out Vineyard Bay, Lakeway proper, The Hills, etc. Basically, just do a search for homes in 78734 in your budget. You'll find a lot of really nice properties.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

70 posts, read 106,033 times
You can probably get a house for $1 million in either The Bluffs gated community in Steiner or in gated Bellagio in Steiner. The Bluffs has 1-2 acre lots - I think new builds are well over $1 million but I have noticed some 'older' (i.e. 3-4 years old) houses going for around $1 million. Bellagio is probably more expensive as all the houses have lake views/access - Lake Austin, not Travis, don't know if there's anything for sale there, but they also have enormous lots. Santaluz in Steiner has bigger lots than most of Steiner - about .50 acre which is probably smaller than you want, but prices are around $750K-$800K. You'll get great views from most of these communities. A lot of custom builders working in The Bluffs and Bellagio so not too cookie-cutter, Highland and Drees in Santaluz with their top-of-the-range houses - nice but a little cookie-cutter.

Street names are Zen Gardens in The Bluffs and Flat Top Ranch for Bellagio.

Don't think you could find what you're looking for in Eanes - $1 million will get you a nice but not luxuriously appointed house and probably a relatively small yard and no views.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
The Canyons up 620 before the dam have acre lots. What about Spanish Oaks?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin is a great website because it gives not only houses for sale in an area, but houses that have recently sold in the same area so you get an idea of comps. The only problem is you have to give an exact address in redfin to get any info.

Here's one I just found in Zen Gardens - the Bluffs. It's over $1 million, with almost 2 acres, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll find similar homes for sale in the vicinity and also houses that have sold around there and I noticed two sold in Zen Gardens for $1 million or a bit less.

740 Zen Gardens Ter, Austin, TX 78732 | MLS# 5278199 | Redfin

Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM

298 posts, read 944,981 times
If you want a neighborhood with a great community/amenities for kids, I'd reconsider Steiner Ranch. In Steiner, your kids can go to school with, play sports with, go to camp with, and swim with the kids in the community. It almost has a small town feel to it....you always see someone you know at everything! For cul de sac living, I'd check out the UT golf club, Santaluz, & the Bluffs...all in your budget with homes available in cul de sacs.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 18,253 times
I just moved into the Sweetwater development. While the houses are close together, there are a LOT of children moving in, a great pool and rec area (almost finished), miles of trails, hill views and AWESOME schools. The Lake Travis schools were our biggest draw to the area and so far, we are extremely happy with them. We utilize special ed services, so we're more involved than some in the day-to-day classroom experiences. Sweetwater has some larger lots available in the Drees development and a lot more to be developed, worth a look, at least in the area for the schools and views!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

One thing you need to watch out for in the newer developments like Sweetwater and Rough Hollow, is the property tax rate. It's already very high in Steiner, but even higher in Rough Hollow and Sweetwater.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 18,253 times
Very true, however coming from MN with an insanely high income tax rate, we can swing it!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM

152 posts, read 196,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin is a great website because it gives not only houses for sale in an area, but houses that have recently sold in the same area so you get an idea of comps. The only problem is you have to give an exact address in redfin to get any info.

Here's one I just found in Zen Gardens - the Bluffs. It's over $1 million, with almost 2 acres, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll find similar homes for sale in the vicinity and also houses that have sold around there and I noticed two sold in Zen Gardens for $1 million or a bit less.

740 Zen Gardens Ter, Austin, TX 78732 | MLS# 5278199 | Redfin
I've been eyeing that house seriously. Haven't seen it yet though.

Thanks so much guys for all the info. I am researching all those neighborhoods as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin