Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:38 PM

50 posts, read 190,952 times

Advertisements

I'd try Houston. Has a lot more and nicer museums and it's easier for new grads to find jobs there. I have so many friends that wanted to stay in Austin after graduating from UT and ended up settling in Houston because that's where a lot of entry-level jobs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I think finding your dream job here is going to be tough. First, Austin is home to the largest university in the country, so you are competing with a ridiculous number of recent grads. Second, Austin is not exactly known for its museums. In fact, it's home to very few, and the ones it does have are pretty pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Austin is horribly competitive. How many grads does UT crank out every year wanting to keep the party alive?
^What they've said. Sorry.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
How are the opportunities where you live now?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,380 times
Non-existent. Peoria is a town of about 118,00 with a metro of 350,000. Everything is ran by Caterpillar Inc. If you don't want to work for CAT, then you are S-O-L. I worked 6 months for agency hired through CAT doing logistics and transportations and it was AWFUL! The economy here has never picked up since 2008 and people are fleeing. Our population has steadily decreased since the 70's. I figure if I am going to do something not related to my degree, it might as well be in a city I love. That's why I am looking towards Austin.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Try Chicago! Might have more U of Nebraska connections to exploit, might have more of a Peoria network too. Austin is very tough for people without much of a in to any local networks.

If you have to come to TX, DFW and Houston will have more opportunities.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 10,380 times
I have been trying Chicago for over 8 months. Not even a sniff. The second largest alumni base for the University of Nebraska is in Texas. I have already reached out to some alumni in the Austin area so I am hoping something may come of that.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgriggs3 View Post
I have been trying Chicago for over 8 months. Not even a sniff. The second largest alumni base for the University of Nebraska is in Texas. I have already reached out to some alumni in the Austin area so I am hoping something may come of that.
If you're looking into Austin and Chicago, you should also be looking into Houston. As others have also suggested. There are tons of Chicago transplants there, and despite what some may claim, Austin and Houston in many ways aren't that dissimilar for someone from outside of Texas.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM

251 posts, read 398,341 times
As others have said the job market is extremely competitive here. It will be especially tough with your degree. If you move here try to get in at a start-up doing any job they have, learn and gain experience. Then you'll be on your way, especially if the company is successful and grows. If you're reliable, competent, hard working and easy to work with you'll move up. Finally, make sure you are tech savvy before you come here. Start now learning how to design apps, program in Java, design Wordpress themes, etc. so when a position opens up at weebleyBoboster.com, where you work as a data entry technician, you'll be ready to jump at it.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
Y'all are some huge debbie downers, I'm a philosophy student at UT and I've had jobs being thrown at me. To be honest though, it's going to be tough. Austin is a die hard longhorn town and if you didn't graduate from one of the big texas schools or something better, you'll be subjected to some lower paying stuff.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Maybe if you put a "Bo Pelini Sucks" sticker on your car, that may help down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin