Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,914,295 times

Advertisements

I grew up in SA and have lived there recently - a lot of people speak Spanish of course, but I don't and never had an issue at all. Not like Miami, where they speak it in the supermarkets at checkout and you can't understand I love Austin but SA is great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,350,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I grew up in SA and have lived there recently - a lot of people speak Spanish of course, but I don't and never had an issue at all. Not like Miami, where they speak it in the supermarkets at checkout and you can't understand I love Austin but SA is great too.
I agree 100%. I don't want to come off as bashing either place- I know someone will jump in soon to do just that

They're both very different cities, but they're so close geographically that if you're looking for a "change" from DFW, it's worth considering both- and the cities in between as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 50,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
San Antonio does have a significant Hispanic population, but it's such a nice blend of the "real world". city Data reports:

Hispanic - 838,952 (63.2%)
White alone - 353,106 (26.6%)
Black alone - 83,365 (6.3%)
Asian alone - 30,596 (2.3%)
Two or more races - 15,415 (1.2%)
American Indian alone - 2,771 (0.2%)
Other race alone - 2,105 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1,097 (0.08%)

As for why I recommend San Antonio, I'm assuming (maybe I'm wrong, if I am, I apologize, I mean no insult) that your family is conservative due to your wife being a stay at home mom and homeschooling. San Antonio has a very strong homeschool community. There are tons of family friendly attractions- Fiesta Texas, Seaworld, Schlitterbaun, 3 good museums, historical sites. You're 1/12 hours away from the beach. I know there are lots of good, solid neighborhoods.

I obviously love Austin, but if you are a young conservative family on a budget, I would look to San Antonio. Austin is lots of fun, but so expensive.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/San-An...#ixzz2VXW8aUs3
Wow, thanks. That sounds really great actually. I consider myself a moderate, but overall we definitely lean more right than left. We have been to Fiesta Texas before and been to the Alamo/Riverwalk and enjoyed ourselves, but we never seriously considered it as a place to move.

How would you say it compares to Austin in terms of outdoor activities, city-provided resources, festivals, etc.? Is it as overcrowded as Austin?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Thanks for chiming in! DFW has a decent Hispanic population, so it's not like it would be completely new to us. Our only real concern was the lack of being Spanish-speaking when it came to my job hunt.

I'll ask you the same thing then, if you don't mind -- How would you say it compares to Austin in terms of outdoor activities, city-provided resources, festivals, etc.? Is it as overcrowded as Austin?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,142,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post
Thanks for chiming in! DFW has a decent Hispanic population, so it's not like it would be completely new to us. Our only real concern was the lack of being Spanish-speaking when it came to my job hunt.

I'll ask you the same thing then, if you don't mind -- How would you say it compares to Austin in terms of outdoor activities, city-provided resources, festivals, etc.? Is it as overcrowded as Austin?

It can be as crowded as Austin (at the zoo, parks, museums, Riverwalk, etc) due to its overwhelming popularity as a tourist destination and site for major conventions. And this can mean that family activities can take some planning and awareness of what is going on. I think that DFW and Houston are both better in this regard. We often take spur of the moment trips to Houston -- always easy to find hotel rooms, museum tickets, event tickets etc. Spending a weekend in SA takes more planning, are there hotel rooms available, are there going to be 10,000 car dealers on the Riverwalk from a convention?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks. That sounds really great actually. I consider myself a moderate, but overall we definitely lean more right than left. We have been to Fiesta Texas before and been to the Alamo/Riverwalk and enjoyed ourselves, but we never seriously considered it as a place to move.

How would you say it compares to Austin in terms of outdoor activities, city-provided resources, festivals, etc.? Is it as overcrowded as Austin?
San Antonio is very different in feel from Austin. It feels older, is less educated, and fatter. It has a big tourist industry as seen in the theme parks and the River Walk area. Rackspace is headquartered in SA and Microsoft has a giant datacenter there. But SA is not remotely a tech-heavy city.

I am not convinced salaries in Austin for skilled work are lower than DFW. People like to repeat that here - but I think it is perhaps even a myth.

If you are a home schooler - Austin has lots of home schoolers. I doubt if it is materially different than SA. But I would also suggest you consider that there are many good to very good public K-12 schools in Austin.

My personal opinion is that Austin would be a great break from the past for you. Austin is an active city, full of energy and youth. I would not move to SA to be close to Seaworld or Fiesta Texas. Those are once a year places for me ($$$) and a short drive from Austin. Core Austin nightlife is not as college centric as you might think. 6th street is definitely a place for partiers at night. But downtown Austin is where so many great restaurants, clubs, etc. are that are not aimed at the college crowd.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It can be as crowded as Austin (at the zoo, parks, museums, Riverwalk, etc) due to its overwhelming popularity as a tourist destination and site for major conventions. And this can mean that family activities can take some planning and awareness of what is going on. I think that DFW and Houston are both better in this regard. We often take spur of the moment trips to Houston -- always easy to find hotel rooms, museum tickets, event tickets etc. Spending a weekend in SA takes more planning, are there hotel rooms available, are there going to be 10,000 car dealers on the Riverwalk from a convention?
Thanks for responding.

That is a good point, and SA's location to the coast, Austin, and even Houston is great in this regard. We like to plan ahead as well as do spontaneous activities. Sounds like SA might offer a better mix of both opportunities?

How about outdoorsy stuff (nice parks, hiking, swimming holes, biking, etc.)? I know Austin is great for these.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
San Antonio is very different in feel from Austin. It feels older, is less educated, and fatter. It has a big tourist industry as seen in the theme parks and the River Walk area. Rackspace is headquartered in SA and Microsoft has a giant datacenter there. But SA is not remotely a tech-heavy city.

I am not convinced salaries in Austin for skilled work are lower than DFW. People like to repeat that here - but I think it is perhaps even a myth.

If you are a home schooler - Austin has lots of home schoolers. I doubt if it is materially different than SA. But I would also suggest you consider that there are many good to very good public K-12 schools in Austin.

My personal opinion is that Austin would be a great break from the past for you. Austin is an active city, full of energy and youth. I would not move to SA to be close to Seaworld or Fiesta Texas. Those are once a year places for me ($$$) and a short drive from Austin. Core Austin nightlife is not as college centric as you might think. 6th street is definitely a place for partiers at night. But downtown Austin is where so many great restaurants, clubs, etc. are that are not aimed at the college crowd.
Thanks for contributing, I appreciate it. We still are looking at Austin primarily, but SA does seem like a good alternative. Houston seems more and more like a bigger DFW, which is not what we want.

What areas of Austin would you recommend for us to look at?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,554,577 times
I'd like to also recommend Pflugerville. It's affordable, low crime, and definitely a city on the rise. It's definitely beyond that "up and coming" stage and has come into its own. The people who actually live there (like myself) know the deal. It's worth checking out.

Go to the MLS and search under zip code 78660.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times
Quote:
Thanks for contributing, I appreciate it. We still are looking at Austin primarily, but SA does seem like a good alternative. Houston seems more and more like a bigger DFW, which is not what we want.

What areas of Austin would you recommend for us to look at?
For your budget, I think many of the areas listed already above are good to consider. Central Austin is far too expensive. I think West Austin/Travis County are great areas, but you probably need at least $300K to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin