Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'd like to also recommend Pflugerville. It's affordable, low crime, and definitely a city on the rise. It's definitely beyond that "up and coming" stage and has come into its own. The people who actually live there (like myself) know the deal. It's worth checking out.

Go to the MLS and search under zip code 78660.
I really like Pflugerville too! And I think I finally figured out why, it has that "big sky" feeling a bit like West Texas. Big sky, big horizons. And I think that they are investing in more community and family friendly activities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM

87 posts, read 376,121 times
I'll jump in and third Pflugerville. For your budget, for the family-friendly vibe, for the parks and activites, for the schools (should you decide to go that route) . . . it's really a nice place to live! I love it that there's still an old-town core that feels like a small town.

Things seem to be selling rather quickly around here, however, so you may have to jump if you see something you like.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
I'm going to jump in and go an alternate route..... have you made up your mind to Austin and staying in Texas, or are you open to trying other cities in other states? I mean, the suburbs of Austin are not really that different from the suburbs of Dallas as far as I can tell. Is that the kind of change you are looking for? Other than being a little farther away from your "home", its not much different.

In the time I was there in Round Rock, it went from somewhat a quiet small town suburb area, to very congested with construction everywhere.... roads and shopping and restaurants. The amenities aren't huge for kids and families (stuff you'd pay for that is, like amusement parks, museums, pro sports, etc). It's fine for parks and little league and stuff like that, but most decent areas have that.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post
Wow, thanks. That sounds really great actually. I consider myself a moderate, but overall we definitely lean more right than left. We have been to Fiesta Texas before and been to the Alamo/Riverwalk and enjoyed ourselves, but we never seriously considered it as a place to move.

How would you say it compares to Austin in terms of outdoor activities, city-provided resources, festivals, etc.? Is it as overcrowded as Austin?
San Antonio is larger geographically than Austin, so I never feel crowded when I'm there.

In terms of outdoor activities, there are several parks, and I know there is a new one on the North Central side that is really beautiful.
This seems to have lots of information: http://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandrec/ that has a list of parks and such.

Festivals? I've been to the Folklife festival at the Institute of Texan Cultures, and I really enjoyed that. Night in Old San Antonio/Fiesta is a lot of fun. Here's a link: San Antonio Fairs Festivals, Shows & Things To Do Events - mySanAntonio.com

Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Oh, and Georgetown! I forgot about Georgetown. I really like it, it's got tons of character. It reminds me a little of Denton.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 50,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I'm going to jump in and go an alternate route..... have you made up your mind to Austin and staying in Texas, or are you open to trying other cities in other states? I mean, the suburbs of Austin are not really that different from the suburbs of Dallas as far as I can tell. Is that the kind of change you are looking for? Other than being a little farther away from your "home", its not much different.
Made up our mind about Austin? No. So far, it just seems to have more of what we're looking for. We'd like to stay in TX due to the stronger job/housing markets, lack of personal income tax, amicable homeschool laws, and the fact that both our parents live in DFW (so if an emergency did arise, it wouldn't be such an inconvenience for either party to assist).

To be clear, if you took our current suburb and transplanted it to Austin, we'd be happier than just staying where we are at. Ideally we'd like a different feel and experience, and are hoping for one, but we also understand we are not rich and probably cannot afford a metro-area life. We are willing to compromise some things to reach a happy medium. If it means living in a smaller home and getting rid of 1 car so we can live near or around the metro-area, we will. If it means moving to another suburb to get in a different city, we will. It shouldn't be hard to find a nicer suburb than ours in Austin, Houston, or SA anyway.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM

198 posts, read 397,583 times
Quote:
Made up our mind about Austin? No. So far, it just seems to have more of what we're looking for. We'd like to stay in TX due to the stronger job/housing markets, lack of personal income tax, amicable homeschool laws, and the fact that both our parents live in DFW (so if an emergency did arise, it wouldn't be such an inconvenience for either party to assist).

To be clear, if you took our current suburb and transplanted it to Austin, we'd be happier than just staying where we are at. Ideally we'd like a different feel and experience, and are hoping for one, but we also understand we are not rich and probably cannot afford a metro-area life. We are willing to compromise some things to reach a happy medium. If it means living in a smaller home and getting rid of 1 car so we can live near or around the metro-area, we will. If it means moving to another suburb to get in a different city, we will. It shouldn't be hard to find a nicer suburb than ours in Austin, Houston, or SA anyway.
What suburb do you live in in DFW? Supporting a family of 5 on $50k isn't easy anywhere but giving up a car or living in a smaller house still won't get you anywhere near the "Austin experience" you're hoping to feel on a $1000 budget.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Well, just to voice my opinion as a parent, I would stay put if I were you. It sounds like you're just looking for a change in scenery, but with three kids under the age of 10, you might be underestimating how nice it is being close to both sets of grandparents.

You'll lose the luxury of free babysitters (grandparents) even for a couple hours to just go out to dinner. You'll be around a lot of new stuff, but you'll only be able to take advantage of a fraction of the new activities with three kids in tow all the time. Again, this is just from my own experience. Your experience might be different, but if you enjoy going out to dinner or movies without the kids even occasionally, those days might be gone without nearby relatives. Trustworthy babysitters aren't cheap.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
For your rental budget I think you will be hard pressed to find 3br for 1000. Even 2br for 1000 is going to be tough. Most of the tech jobs will be downtown or further north so living north of the river is important. Since you are homeschooling, the school district isnt as important. That will help you to find something more affordable.

I dont know about affordability, but avery ranch, milwood, and the area around barrington, oak knoll, jollyville may have less expensive apartments, be close to tech employers and close to downtown.

riata has 2br 2ba, 1000 sq ft for about $1100. It is in a pretty good location.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
What's so great about SW Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin