Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM

19 posts, read 50,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
What suburb do you live in in DFW? Supporting a family of 5 on $50k isn't easy anywhere but giving up a car or living in a smaller house still won't get you anywhere near the "Austin experience" you're hoping to feel on a $1000 budget.
Grand Prairie.

It's becoming more and more apparent that this is the case. A suburb 20-30 min from Austin (esp with the notoriously awful traffic there), isn't our preference and might be more headache than it is worth. Then again, maybe not. That is what we're determining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Well, just to voice my opinion as a parent, I would stay put if I were you. It sounds like you're just looking for a change in scenery, but with three kids under the age of 10, you might be underestimating how nice it is being close to both sets of grandparents.

You'll lose the luxury of free babysitters (grandparents) even for a couple hours to just go out to dinner. You'll be around a lot of new stuff, but you'll only be able to take advantage of a fraction of the new activities with three kids in tow all the time. Again, this is just from my own experience. Your experience might be different, but if you enjoy going out to dinner or movies without the kids even occasionally, those days might be gone without nearby relatives. Trustworthy babysitters aren't cheap.
A worthwhile point, and one we've definitely discussed so I appreciate you emphasizing it. We're at the point though that we feel if we don't move soon, we never will until the kids are grown and that would be very disappointing. Life's too short to spend it trapped in the same place.

We've lived on less before, and are willing to do it again. Being somewhere else, experiencing somewhere else, etc.. that is more important to us.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
For your rental budget I think you will be hard pressed to find 3br for 1000. Even 2br for 1000 is going to be tough. Most of the tech jobs will be downtown or further north so living north of the river is important. Since you are homeschooling, the school district isnt as important. That will help you to find something more affordable.

I dont know about affordability, but avery ranch, milwood, and the area around barrington, oak knoll, jollyville may have less expensive apartments, be close to tech employers and close to downtown.

riata has 2br 2ba, 1000 sq ft for about $1100. It is in a pretty good location.
Thanks! I appreciate it and will add those to the list of areas to check out.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
if you are homeschooling there are homeschooling groups that you can share babysitting with. There are also church groups that offer parents nights out. It doesnt have to be expensive to have babysitters for kids.

Another way to look at this is which areas have good parks and then try to live near those.

Forgot to mention, walnut creek park is a great hike, bike and offleash dog park. If you can live near there, there is a lot of exploring you can do. There are a lot of apartments along metric that feed into that area.

Balcones district park is also pretty good.

Bull creek park along 360 is good

The barton creek greenbelt is huge and has a lot of coverage. Some parts of it are very central but you can still get to it from further west. I dont know how much apartments are that are adjacent to it, but if you can swing that you should go for it.

St edwards park along spicewood springs rd is nice.

Brushy creek has some cool areas.

Apartment locators are free so you might want to use one.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM

251 posts, read 398,292 times
Based on your budget you're going to have a tough time making the move to Austin, in my opinion. It sounds like your goal is to live close enough to enjoy central Austin amenities on a regular basis, but traffic congestion is going to make that a continual pain in the butt. And living close enough to avoid the freeways altogether is going to cost too much for your family. You'll likely end up in a place that is not that different from where you are, maybe in a smaller house, wondering why you made the move.

With your budget you can have real change and a great quality of life if you move somewhere like Fredricksburg or Kerville, or maybe Wimberly. Or if everyone is getting home schooled, then San Marcos is an option. These are beautiful areas that are still close to your parents but far away from the claustrophobia your dealing with in your home town.

I don't mean to be negative about Austin, but I'm just thinking you may regret moving from one suburb to another, which sounds like your only option here.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 PM

30 posts, read 108,800 times
To the OP, I completely understand your reasoning for this life change. I'm 30 years old, and my wife and I have always lived within an hour or 2 of our hometowns. We are sooooo ready to leave the lifeless sprawl of Atlanta and try something new. Of course new isnt always better, but I think you and I have a similar mindset in this regard. We are moving to Bastrop this summer with 2 small children, and looking forward to being near an active, attractive city without the congestion associated with it. If your kids are home schooled, day trips into the city could be done from any of the small areas around Austin. Weekends and holidays would be great times to make family trips to outdoor areas for swimming, hiking, biking, etc. Most families with kids don't need daily lifestyle perks, there's too much day to day stuff for that. But having the option to do something different and interesting 2-3 times a week is priceless when it comes to family life, and I think/hope Austin and the surrounding area affords that.

After spending the last 4 months looking at housing, I will say that your housing budget is going to be difficult to accommodate in the Austin area. Not impossible, but difficult. That is likely your greatest challenge next to finding a job. Good luck with your decision, you can always move back to DFW if it doesn't work out in Austin, but if you don't try it, you will probably always regret it!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Based on your budget you're going to have a tough time making the move to Austin, in my opinion. It sounds like your goal is to live close enough to enjoy central Austin amenities on a regular basis, but traffic congestion is going to make that a continual pain in the butt. And living close enough to avoid the freeways altogether is going to cost too much for your family. You'll likely end up in a place that is not that different from where you are, maybe in a smaller house, wondering why you made the move.

With your budget you can have real change and a great quality of life if you move somewhere like Fredricksburg or Kerville, or maybe Wimberly. Or if everyone is getting home schooled, then San Marcos is an option. These are beautiful areas that are still close to your parents but far away from the claustrophobia your dealing with in your home town.

I don't mean to be negative about Austin, but I'm just thinking you may regret moving from one suburb to another, which sounds like your only option here.
I agree with this. I too feel badly about sounding negative, but I think we're getting a consensus here. Do you have any vacation days coming up? Might be worth to schedule some appointments with a realtor in Austin (and San Antonio...and maybe San Marcos/New Braunfels/Kyle?) and getting a better idea. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin