Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We have heard ad nauseum of your distaste and put downs for anything other than living centrally or in a high rise. Real people move to the evil "suburbs" or the small towns surrounding Austin and are happy, in spite of Komeht.

Some people can move away from Austin and work from home so the commute you belabor is non existent or maybe only a couple of days a week. Plus, with the toll road it really isn't a headache.

And why not Cedar Park??? They have train access!
High rise? I honestly have no idea what you are referring to.

You can relax - no one is talking about taking away your ugly little sprawlburbs. They'll continue to exist for people who insist on living in purgatory.

The issue is for people like Pam and Jim, who are coming for what Austin has to offer, it's face stark choices right now if they aren't trust fund kids (and I take it that since they've put up with DM all those years they're not rich). There isn't much option in town. SF detached is out - the only ones they can afford are shacks in bad parts of town. So, if they want to live centrally, they have to make some compromises. I merely suggest that they get real and decide what is more important - a lawn or a life.

The sad part is that even for people who are ready, willing and able to say "you know what, I like the city and I recognize that living in the city necessarily involves not having as much space" find that pickings are incredibly slim here because we've outlawed and made illegal the very kind of housing that they could afford.

I'm the one who is offering rational solutions that provide housing to middle income folks who have been forced to live out to town.

And again - this is an option. No one - not even me, wants to force you away living in sprawl. If that's your lifestyle choice the good luck and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

But we can and should better for the likes of Pam and Jim - they shouldn't be forced have their dream of living in Austin turn to ashes when they find the only place suitable is an overpriced tract home in Pflugerville - and if not for them, for ourselves.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
High rise? I honestly have no idea what you are referring to.

You can relax - no one is talking about taking away your ugly little sprawlburbs. They'll continue to exist for people who insist on living in purgatory.

The issue is for people like Pam and Jim, who are coming for what Austin has to offer, it's face stark choices right now if they aren't trust fund kids (and I take it that since they've put up with DM all those years they're not rich). There isn't much option in town. SF detached is out - the only ones they can afford are shacks in bad parts of town. So, if they want to live centrally, they have to make some compromises. I merely suggest that they get real and decide what is more important - a lawn or a life.

The sad part is that even for people who are ready, willing and able to say "you know what, I like the city and I recognize that living in the city necessarily involves not having as much space" find that pickings are incredibly slim here because we've outlawed and made illegal the very kind of housing that they could afford.

I'm the one who is offering rational solutions that provide housing to middle income folks who have been forced to live out to town.

And again - this is an option. No one - not even me, wants to force you away living in sprawl. If that's your lifestyle choice the good luck and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

But we can and should better for the likes of Pam and Jim - they shouldn't be forced have their dream of living in Austin turn to ashes when they find the only place suitable is an overpriced tract home in Pflugerville - and if not for them, for ourselves.

I know this may come as a shock but some people don't want to live downtown. Frankly, I didn't want to move to Texas at all. I never had a dream of "living the good life" in Austin. Please, tell me what the "good life" means to you and I think then I might understand what you're saying. We moved here because of a job and I found it difficult at times to be "grateful" for the process when I felt contrary. Many thanks to some of the city data posters for tolerating my rants.

I did look closer to Austin for homes because the job is in Austin. However, many of them were overpriced, had smaller lots, (yards) and were closer together. Plus, the people that have it made in Austin are the ones that own the huge lots on the river or up in the hills. Those are the people that own Austin. Waaay out of our price range.

My "lifestyle" choice as you make reference to is a misnomer. Many people move here because of a job. In case you hadn't noticed something happened to all the jobs in the U.S. that has forced people to make decisions to change their current "lifestyle". Maybe read "Grapes of Wrath".

Concerning a yard: I do not find the things in Austin as attractive as I would have maybe 40 years ago. But, even then I liked having a big yard. I find Austin is a lovely city but I don't want to live downtown. Really, when I did live in a city it was because I was homeless and then when I did get a job I took the bus so I found a place to live downtown, (sharing an apartment). While city living has it's positives I don't prefer it to country living.

We moved to our current location because it was a compromise. We were not in a position to make a decision of "lifestyle" but we made one of "necessity". All things taken into consideration this isn't a BAD place to live. I certainly wouldn't call it an "ugly little sprawlburb" as you do. We have a lovely home, nice neighbors and a yard. Yes, I like having a yard because working out in the yard is therapeutic to me. We like having a home we use. Some of us play in the garage with toys, (tools), I like to play in the dirt.

That is our "lifestyle". You might call us simple folk. If we had a choice we would have purchased a hobby farm waaaay out in the country and ideally the job would allow "work from home" five 5 days a week. However, it isn't a choice but sometimes you make the best with what you have. And again, it ain't so bad at all here overall. It doesn't feel like "purgatory" as you say. Although the year we moved here, (this is our fifth summer) I thought we had moved to hell with as hot as it was.

I don't understand your responses regarding living out from Austin. It is what it is and it's this way in pretty much every city....people move out from the city. I also don't get the "don't let the door kick you in the ass" part. Are you booting me out of Austin when I don't even live there?

Lastly, who the hell are Jim and Pam, what is their "dream" and is that a tv show?

Again a lastly...you said, "I'm the one who is offering rational solutions that provide housing to middle income folks who have been forced to live out to town." I apologize if I've missed that. I think if you refrained from trying to drag down the outlying areas to bring living downtown up it might help.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 06-10-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
...the only place suitable is an overpriced tract home in Pflugerville ...
Because the $300 p/sq. ft. home in Hyde Park is sooooo not overpriced compared to $125 in P'ville.

Beauty, like all things, is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Another thing, in most cities, the less commuting there is, the least affordable it will be. That's just how it is. I come from NYC, one of the least affordable areas in the country. Commuting is a fact of life for 80% of the populace. It all matters what's important to you -- some people absolutely do not want to live anywhere other than Manhattan and have no problem sharing a one bedroom with Steve and John. Others would rather pay less rent and have no roommates but the flipside is that they'd have to deal with schleppin' it on the train. Living close in isn't exactly something that's a right for regular middle income folks like myself.

I fell into the latter group. I did the Manhattan thing for awhile, and it was fun...for awhile. But I ultimately set up roots in the boroughs because I wanted the one thing that's a premium -- space.

I have friends who live centrally and it's really perfect for them. I have nothing against that. At the same time, it is tiring to read the same nonsense -- everywhere non-central is "Anywhere, USA" "cookiecutterville", not special. If these particular Austin homers actually lived in the suburban cities, they'd know that is anything but true. Sure, there's tract housing. But you do realize that outside of central Austin, it is mostly tract housing, right? You do realize that places such as Georgetown, Hutto, Pflugerville, and Round Rock have Victorian and Craftsman homes, right? You do realize that besides tract housing, there are large Texas-style ranches on acreage, right? You do realize that there are very uniquely, old time Texan events such as Deutschen Fest and other very local festivals, right? Deutschen Fest may not be "Austin hip" but it is a thoroughly fun and unique experience for a young family.

Also, there are many convenient suburban areas that require zero commuting to central or downtown Austin unless that's what you want to do.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
......You do realize that places such as Georgetown, Hutto, Pflugerville, and Round Rock have Victorian and Craftsman homes, right? You do realize that besides tract housing, there are large Texas-style ranches on acreage, right? You do realize that there are very uniquely, old time Texan events such as Deutschen Fest and other very local festivals, right? Deutschen Fest may not be "Austin hip" but it is a thoroughly fun and unique experience for a young family.

Also, there are many convenient suburban areas that require zero commuting to central or downtown Austin unless that's what you want to do.
Good points.

I'm on the Travis Heights list-serve ad many of the longtime residents are fed up with the hassle of commercial encroachment, parking and litter issues, theft, etc.

The "hip" cool areas have turned a corner if you're "too much" in the middle of it all.

I still think Jim and Pam would do fine in Pflugerville or Maple Run. Small kids need a yard to run in.

Steve

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Another thing, in most cities, the less commuting there is, the least affordable it will be. That's just how it is. I come from NYC, one of the least affordable areas in the country. Commuting is a fact of life for 80% of the populace. It all matters what's important to you -- some people absolutely do not want to live anywhere other than Manhattan and have no problem sharing a one bedroom with Steve and John. Others would rather pay less rent and have no roommates but the flipside is that they'd have to deal with schleppin' it on the train. Living close in isn't exactly something that's a right for regular middle income folks like myself.

I fell into the latter group. I did the Manhattan thing for awhile, and it was fun...for awhile. But I ultimately set up roots in the boroughs because I wanted the one thing that's a premium -- space.

I have friends who live centrally and it's really perfect for them. I have nothing against that. At the same time, it is tiring to read the same nonsense -- everywhere non-central is "Anywhere, USA" "cookiecutterville", not special. If these particular Austin homers actually lived in the suburban cities, they'd know that is anything but true. Sure, there's tract housing. But you do realize that outside of central Austin, it is mostly tract housing, right? You do realize that places such as Georgetown, Hutto, Pflugerville, and Round Rock have Victorian and Craftsman homes, right? You do realize that besides tract housing, there are large Texas-style ranches on acreage, right? You do realize that there are very uniquely, old time Texan events such as Deutschen Fest and other very local festivals, right? Deutschen Fest may not be "Austin hip" but it is a thoroughly fun and unique experience for a young family.

I would add that much of central austin is tract housing too, albeit tract housing from an earlier era with many houses heavily modified in the intervening 50 years, some torn down and replaced with new houses etc.

Everyone has unique priorities. One cul de sac over a family decided to move to 38th street. They have 3 young kids (maybe ages 4-8), back up to a greenbelt with views, steep hills, creek, mountain biking and hiking trails, have a pool and 3000+ sq ft of space. They are probably moving to a much smaller house on a through street.

They feed into laurel mountain/canyon vista/westwood right now but send their kids to magellan - the very trendy new private school (I know a lot of people sending their kids to magellan).

I personally think they are crazy.. Their house sold in one day.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Jim & Pam will be renting a minimum of two years.

He had a job for many years with DM, but then bailed to go with the start up (for a year?), then went back to DM for 6-12 mos & NOW is leaving again for a "re-startup". Will need 2 full years of verifiable income before being able to buy anything, maybe more. Doubtful he has much to put down (couldn't have made much on the home he sold in Scranton & probably didn't save much (if any) since having kids).

They won't be buying anything for awhile, since in addition to the above.....the venture will be a bust. Why start a Professional Sports Marketing company in a town that doesn't have any professional sports teams?? Jim & Pam will divorce due to money issues & Jim's constant client entertaining. Pam will move back to Scranton to be near her mom & Jim will move out to LA or FL chasing the next dream.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
I would like to make two points.

1. It's a now defunct TV show, these are not actual people.

2. The choice to place a sports marketing startup in Austin was a snarky, ironic dig at Austin and it's lack of prof sports and it's overwhelming hip image. The show was full of douchey digs at everything from Cornell University to living in Manhattan to social media...everything was fair game.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I would like to make two points.

1. It's a now defunct TV show, these are not actual people.
You really had to go and spoil it, huh? They are real people to some of us. Don't be so judgmental.

Quote:
2. The choice to place a sports marketing startup in Austin was a snarky, ironic dig at Austin and it's lack of prof sports and it's overwhelming hip image. The show was full of douchey digs at everything from Cornell University to living in Manhattan to social media...everything was fair game.
Knowing very little about "sports marketing", I assume it's a cross between an Ad Agency and PR shop, most likely promoting events everywhere. Sort of like concert promotions.

The decision to locate in Austin is more connected to the type of talent willing to live/work in the headquarter city than it is the geographic proximity to any particular team or event. Jim and I talked about this at the Dog and Duck pub the other night.

Steve

Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You really had to go and spoil it, huh? They are real people to some of us. Don't be so judgmental.

Knowing very little about "sports marketing", I assume it's a cross between an Ad Agency and PR shop, most likely promoting events everywhere. Sort of like concert promotions.

The decision to locate in Austin is more connected to the type of talent willing to live/work in the headquarter city than it is the geographic proximity to any particular team or event. Jim and I talked about this at the Dog and Duck pub the other night.

Steve
I ran into Jim later that night and asked him how the house hunt was going. He shook his head in disbelief and said he had no idea that Austin was so overpriced. He thought that 200k median meant he could find a place near something like the Dog and Duck pub for that. Maybe not a new place or a nice place but something. He said his realtor keeps showing him tract homes in Pflugerville, and Cedar Park (at this point he looked a little nauseous) and telling him that's the best he can hope for in their circumstances. Pam seems ok with it, but the thought of spending an hour and a half every day on the road on too of having to put in very long hours at work at the start up is killing him.

I asked what he really wanted. He said, you know what, he came to Austin to be in Austin and not some carbon copy of every other place in the America, and the being away from the family for most of the day very day just doesn't work for him. I said he should consider a town home or condo. Maybe one right off a park where Pam can take the children to play, a place close to places like the Dog and Duck Pub, shops, restaurants, cafes etc. maybe one close enough to transit or the office where they can sell a car and save a bit more that way.

He seemed pretty receptive to the idea. He asked if I knew a realtor who could help him, his doesnt seem to be working out to well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin