Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread, because I'm in the process of shopping out my homeowners insurance.

I've got USAA for everything. And there is no doubt, they are top notch in service. But over the past few years, it seems like my homeowners insurance has gone up 5-15% each year... and they always tell me it's because of an across-the-board increase for Texas/Travis County/My Area. I've never had a claim. But I'm getting tired of paying hundreds more each year, so I'm going to see what else is out there.

The auto insurance from USAA has remained at a good rate, so I'll likely keep that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
I just got a phone call indicating State Farm plans on raising our homeowners insurance by $300, even though we have never had a claim. Time to check rates with other companies it appears.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
I've had about 4 different homeowner's policies over the last 10 years. They all start out with great rates and then slowly increase them. We've never had a claim either.

I would love to understand the rationale. Last year, mine went up about 25%. I switched over to Liberty Mutual with much better rates.

It's almost like they are encouraging you to change insurance companies!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM

182 posts, read 694,101 times
I've had a very bad experience with Liberty Mutual. The way how they are handling the claim is unacceptable. Had to use my lawyer to resolve the issue. Their estimates were too low and wasn't covering cost of repair. Never again.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeL View Post
I've had a very bad experience with Liberty Mutual. The way how they are handling the claim is unacceptable. Had to use my lawyer to resolve the issue. Their estimates were too low and wasn't covering cost of repair. Never again.
Was that homeowners or auto?

I haven't had to file any claims with them as a policy holder, but I did have a car accident where the guy at fault had Liberty Mutual. I don't remember any issues at the time.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM

182 posts, read 694,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Was that homeowners or auto?

I haven't had to file any claims with them as a policy holder, but I did have a car accident where the guy at fault had Liberty Mutual. I don't remember any issues at the time.
Actually I had both. The Homeowner clam was the biggest pain in the butt. I was living in Maryland and we had this Blizzard 2010 and I had a water leak damage and torn gutters. First they refused to provide me a list of approved contractors and didn't sent appraiser to estimate damage. They just told me, get it fixed, we will take care. So, I found a few and pick one with best price/reputation. Then they refused to pay him for all repairs just because in their computer the prices was much smaller. I spent a lot of time on the phone arguing with supervisors. Then I asked my lawyer to deal with it. He sent a letter and magically they found appraiser in my area who came to the house and matched contractor's estimates. In private conversation he told me that this is common practice.

My auto claim was not fault accident, but they refused to acknowledge that. I was making U-turn and fella on the Cadillac was trying to pass me on the right. So, it cost me deductible and bad records in the insurance report.

Like I said, never again.

Last edited by SergeL; 06-12-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 123,942 times
Hmmmm, well, why were you making a u-turn in the first place? Duhhhh lol you were obviously at fault!!

I recently had a homeowners claim and was able to really notice their whole process..I noticed the insurance is heavily regulated so little room to "cheat" customers...since I do have a construction background (and I DO read my policies to make sure I buy what I need) I surely noticed how my contractor wanted to take advantage of the fact that there was insurance involved...

Plus, didn't you guys take a risk management course in college???

Going back to the OP's question...If he can get into USAA it will be a good choice, I always hear that they are excellent w/ customer service......for your home insurance, I personally don't care how much I pay as long as I get best coverage..it is my d @mnnn got home for god's sake!! If you get something cheaper...make sure about the coverage

Last edited by luigi1212; 06-13-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM

45 posts, read 60,077 times
Any recommendation on a Farmers insurance agent for home insurance, would appreciate it thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinliving View Post
Any recommendation on a Farmers insurance agent for home insurance, would appreciate it thanks.
Besides avoiding Farmers for your HO policy?

Personally, I'd stay away from the big 3 (Farmers, State Farm, Allstate). They've been getting hammered with claims since the 90's and have the most restricted policy forms, and the worst rates.

Plenty of independent agents out there selling companies that pay more claims, faster, for better prices.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,600 times
Our niece is an insurance executive who offers several company lines. We asked her to review our current auto/home coverage which we get through Costco/Ameriprise. She candidly admitted that she couldn't beat it for quality of claim handling or low premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: