Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times

Advertisements

There is a real need for pediatric dentists here IMHO - everyone I know sees Danny watts, including us, and everyone loves him. But there are not many. There are some dentists downtown who cater to the loft livers/ upper income or lawyers/ govt people. It could be really lucrative or it could already be saturayed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM

593 posts, read 470,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
There is a real need for pediatric dentists here IMHO - everyone I know sees Danny watts, including us, and everyone loves him. But there are not many. There are some dentists downtown who cater to the loft livers/ upper income or lawyers/ govt people. It could be really lucrative or it could already be saturayed
this is true?

what type of dentist are you anyway?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 142,206 times
Good grief, please come downtown. There's no dentist here that I know of. In addition to getting everyone who lives downtown (ie young professionals and young families) you will get the working crowd. Advertise a quick cleaning and you're set. I would LOVE to be able to walk to my dentist and back from my downtown office rather than having to get in the car and drive to Westlake.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Google Maps are your friend - zoom in on this map showing the locations of Austin area dentists:

austin dentists map - Google Maps

Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 35,467 times
Thank you for all the feedback and insights.

Once again, I am not opposed to children but don't want an office built on pediatrics. I am married with no children. I connect much better with busy professionals who understand dental hygiene who are looking for a professional setting where they can get in, get the care they need, and get out. Well trained but personable staff. Effective and efficient systems. Respects your time so not wasting time sitting in waiting room.

I can do a lot of research online about demographics but it is all based around where people live and I am trying to cater to where they work. Thus, is there a good resource I can use to determine how many people are in an area Mon-Fri, 8 to 6?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Looks like there are already quite a few downtown. dentist near Austin, TX 78701 - Google Maps

Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
I don't know if there is a resource but there are tons of lawyers, lobbyists, state employes , city employees downtown during work week

Old 06-23-2013, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 35,467 times
CptRn-- everything is relative. To one person a 5K may seem like a long distance to run while another may use that distance as a warm-up before a marathon. 90 mph may be fast on I-35 but too slow at a NASCAR race.

Take a look at how many small red dots pop-up when do the same dental search for Round Rock, Georgetown, or Cedar Park.

In school, we were told to look for a population ratio of approximately 2,000 people to 1 dentist. Thus, if there are 150,000 in downtown Austin the area could actually support 70+ dentists. The hard part is determining if people want to go to dentist where they work or where they live.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
My kids go to a pediatric dentist. But my husband and I both go to a dentist close to our house. We just schedule appointments first thing in the morning and go on the way into work. It's very convenient because it doesn't disrupt our schedule, and we would be driving right past it anyway. Much easier and more convenient than skipping out of work and making a special trip. Also, there is a much better chance of us switching jobs than there is of us moving, so if there is a job change, we can keep the same dentist.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
CptRn-- everything is relative. To one person a 5K may seem like a long distance to run while another may use that distance as a warm-up before a marathon. 90 mph may be fast on I-35 but too slow at a NASCAR race.

Take a look at how many small red dots pop-up when do the same dental search for Round Rock, Georgetown, or Cedar Park.

In school, we were told to look for a population ratio of approximately 2,000 people to 1 dentist. Thus, if there are 150,000 in downtown Austin the area could actually support 70+ dentists. The hard part is determining if people want to go to dentist where they work or where they live.
I understand, I posted that just in case you thought you were the first person to think of working downtown. However, according to this //www.city-data.com/zips/78701.html there is only about 8,900 people who live downtown in 78701.

Granted thousands more work there. I worked downtown most of my career, but I always scheduled my dentist appointments in the afternoon, in the suburbs, near where I lived, so I could have a short drive and go directly home afterwards. I expect that most people do this because it sucks having to go back to work with half your face all numb, drooling or feeling any kind of discomfort from the procedure and medications.

Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin