Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM

593 posts, read 470,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Leaks can be in the pipes under the lawn. We had one that was "somewhere" in the ten acre field in front of our house, and it took a couple of months of digging on my husband's part (because of the kind of pipes we have) to find it. We only noticed there was a leak because the water bill (which is separate from our electric bill out here) and indicated usage jumped dramatically - as in, many thousands of gallons more per month than we had used, there should have been a swimming pool in the pasture but due to the drought the water just went down into the earth instead of up to the surface.

Interesting. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
I will get the bill and post what I have tonight. thanks for your help
That was four days ago, we are still waiting.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
As others have suggested, its not extortion, its probably something wrong with your house. It is not likely a meter reading error since you have had unusually high bills for three in a row. It is hard to understand why you did not investigate the cause when you got the first bill over $600 bucks.
In-Laws in town for a month during that time and I assumed it was their additional usage that pushed it up so I didnt' think nothing about it. then the 2nd one came and I imploded.

Quote:
Your utilities are all broken down, itemized on your bill, what does it say your usages are?

My COA utility bill for May, in a 4 bdrm, 2 bath, 2400 SF 1 story house, landscape sprinkler system, with 2 adults who are home most of the time, AC 24 hrs per day, was...
Electricity: 712 kwh, $64
Water: 9000, $46
Wastewater: $81 <-- that is a big jump up with the new rates.
Total bill with everything included was only $229.

How do your numbers compare? Odds are you have holes in your AC ducts, an old malfunctioning air conditioner and or a broken underground water line. If the break is between the meter and your house it is your responsibility to fix, not the City.
How am I suppose to know this? they don't send out flyers or policy notes explaining this...how did you find out that it was the homeowners problem to fix and not the City? I thought homeowners were restricted from going down into the manhholes to work on our own water pipes????

Quote:
I had a broken waterline in our front yard a year or two ago, once had it repaired and provided a receipt proving that to the COA they gave me a refund on the excess water usage for that month. They probably won't do that for all 3 of your months, since you waited so long to fix the problem, but they may refund you one month of excessive usage.

Turn all the water off in your house, then go look at your meter, if it is turning at all then you have a leak. If it does not appear to be moving, note the readings and check it again 2 hours later while using no water, if it has changed, then you have a slow leak.

More leak detection tips: Leak Facts | WaterSense | US EPA

I will try this today because I turned off all the toilets, A/C and every light, computer I own in the house before I left this morning.. so the meter shouldn't move at all today. I wished I checked the reading before I left though.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
That was four days ago, we are still waiting.
Been crazy busy and haven't had time to pull a bill. will do tonight for sure.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Your wastewater "cap" is based on your averaging period (usually sometime btwn Nov-Mar), over three months. Determining when and preparing for it helps. That's when you want to be a miser and take overall water usage down to a minimum, to prevent paying more during the months you probably use more water (sprinkler, pool, etc).

For example, if you avg 10,000 gallons of water per month during the averaging period, your wastewater bill will never exceed 10,000 gallons per month over the next 12 months, even if your overall water usage exceeds this rate:

Wastewater Averaging | Austin Water Utility | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

For myself, before my averaging period this yr, I changed out my showerhead and faucet aerators. Went down to the city water dept off 10th st and picked them up for free (the niagra showerhead rocks!):

Free Showerheads & Faucet Aerators | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

I slashed my total water usage in half, (did not water the yard) taking these measures.

Also installed a shutoff valve behind my showerhead; so much is wasted in the shower btwn soaping and rinsing (think about it); this is a easy project, even if you don't convert to low-flow:

DANCO Shower On-Off Push-Button Flow Control-89184 at The Home Depot

thanks.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
How am I suppose to know this? they don't send out flyers or policy notes explaining this...how did you find out that it was the homeowners problem to fix and not the City? I thought homeowners were restricted from going down into the manhholes to work on our own water pipes????
There is no 'going down into manholes' here, it is just the buried line between the meter and your house. This is part of your property, bought by you with the house. The city is not responsible for that water line, the same as they are not responsible for you AC unit working correctly or making sure your AC ducts aren't leaking.

Water is relatively easy to check - you can shut it off to 'zero' pretty easily and then go check the meter. I would NOT turn off the toilet valves, though - they should not cause water usage when you are not flushing, but if they do, that can actually be a pretty big drain on your system and you would want to know about it. If you shut off the valves, you definitely would not know from reading the meter. OFc, you should be able to hear the occasional 'hiss' from the tank if they are leaking and filling.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
In-Laws in town for a month during that time and I assumed it was their additional usage that pushed it up so I didnt' think nothing about it. then the 2nd one came and I imploded.
So now you are going onto the fourth month and you still have not done anything to fix the problem.

Quote:
How are you supposed to know anything? You make an effort to educate yourself. The city has published information about this in the fliers that come with your monthly bill in the past. You know the stuff you usually throw away without reading. The City website has lots of free information such as how to identify your water meter and determine if your water lines have leaks. http://www.austintexas.gov/department/detecting-leak Why would anyone think that it is the Cities responsibiilty to fix your leaky waterlines? The City is responsible for the water infrastructure up to your meter. You are responsible for everything from the meter to your house. Your water meter is typically located at your property line. There is no need for you to go down into manholes to work on your water pipes, they are not in manholes, they are under the ground on your property running between your house and the water meter.

Quote:
I will try this today because I turned off all the toilets, A/C and every light, computer I own in the house before I left this morning.. so the meter shouldn't move at all today. I wished I checked the reading before I left though.
Why are you turning off all the electrical items? They do not effect your water usage. Have you even looked at your bill yet to deterimine if it is the water usage that is unusually high or the electricity? That should be your first step. I'm betting that it is the water, water that has been leaking out of a cracked pipe for going on 4 months now. You are going to have another big bill next month if you don't get on this and fix the problem. You might be able to find the leak by looking for areas on your yard that are green and soggy.

I recommend you call Johnny Rooter Plumbing to help you find and fix the leak. 452-6646 Johnny Rooter Plumbing, Inc., Austin, TX They are prompt and fairly reasonable.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So now you are going onto the fourth month and you still have not done anything to fix the problem.
No, THIS month I began the cycle by turning everything off.even the toilets, so the bill should be super low.

I used to set the A/C betwen 80-83(Summer) and stopped doing that this month.

Quote:
How are you supposed to know anything? You make an effort to educate yourself. The city has published information about this in the fliers that come with your monthly bill in the past. You know the stuff you usually throw away without reading. The City website has lots of free information such as how to identify your water meter and determine if your water lines have leaks. http://www.austintexas.gov/department/detecting-leak Why would anyone think that it is the Cities responsibiilty to fix your leaky waterlines? The City is responsible for the water infrastructure up to your meter. You are responsible for everything from the meter to your house. Your water meter is typically located at your property line. There is no need for you to go down into manholes to work on your water pipes, they are not in manholes, they are under the ground on your property running between your house and the water meter.
Oh ok, See!.. I didn't know that...THANKS BOB VILA! i WILL BE DIGGIN UP MY YARD THIS WEEKEND!...LOL

Quote:
Why are you turning off all the electrical items? They do not effect your water usage. Have you even looked at your bill yet to deterimine if it is the water usage that is unusually high or the electricity? That should be your first step. I'm betting that it is the water, water that has been leaking out of a cracked pipe for going on 4 months now. You are going to have another big bill next month if you don't get on this and fix the problem. You might be able to find the leak by looking for areas on your yard that are green and soggy.

I recommend you call Johnny Rooter Plumbing to help you find and fix the leak. 452-6646 Johnny Rooter Plumbing, Inc., Austin, TX They are prompt and fairly reasonable.
It's both, Water and Electric. I got a handle on my electric years ago by turning off things, the water is the one that's pissing me off.

and thanks for the Plumber info. I dred calling them because they are sharks just like other Service guys but I have no choice now.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM

217 posts, read 327,940 times
We built new, and installed PV. Our bill was $4 last month.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
We built new, and installed PV. Our bill was $4 last month.
LOL as if you got the PV system for free. How much did that cost you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: