Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I registered my NV car in TX in February after being here almost a year (we maintain a NV residence so we were not technically in violation of the law)
Yes you were. From the Texas Transportation code:

Quote:
Sec. 502.040. REGISTRATION REQUIRED; GENERAL RULE. (a) Not more than 30 days after purchasing a vehicle or becoming a resident of this state, the owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall apply for the registration of the vehicle for:
(1) each registration year in which the vehicle is used or to be used on a public highway; and
(2) if the vehicle is unregistered for a registration year that has begun and that applies to the vehicle and if the vehicle is used or to be used on a public highway, the remaining portion of that registration year.
It is where you reside, not where you own a residence.

As as far as the "archaic" crack? Why should the citizens of Llano County and the State of Texas pay the bank fees so you can use a credit card? Of course, if you'd like, we could always adopt the IRS method for credit card use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
To the OP.
Don't forget that you'll need a TX insurance policy to register the vehicle.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 AM

29 posts, read 44,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Nope. Only if the state that sold the car doesn't charge a sales tax.

You'll pay $53.75 and an hour of your time at the tax office. You'll also discover that it's 10000x easier to register a vehicle here than CA.
I am moving to Austin in a few months and I am coming from Anchorage AK where we don't pay sales tax. I bought my car last Sept for about $21,000. Will I have to pay sales tax when I register it in TX???

Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Yes you were. From the Texas Transportation code:

It is where you reside, not where you own a residence.

As as far as the "archaic" crack? Why should the citizens of Llano County and the State of Texas pay the bank fees so you can use a credit card? Of course, if you'd like, we could always adopt the IRS method for credit card use.
Vehicles were not unregistered - they were registered in NV where we maintained our home, were registered to vote etc. We were not Texas residents, we were NV residents, visiting TX. Once we decided to stay here, we bought a home and registered our vehicles here.

It is archaic to me to have a business prefer a check over plastic which also means debit card, not necessarily credit card. I come from a place where just about no one accepts checks.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:

It is archaic to me to have a business prefer a check over plastic which also means debit card, not necessarily credit card. I come from a place where just about no one accepts checks.
This just has to do with the processing fees, etc. Many government agencies charge a "convenience fee" to help offset this. Since there's already a process in place to handle deposits of paper checks mailed in, there's no "new" costs for that.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Vehicles were not unregistered - they were registered in NV where we maintained our home, were registered to vote etc. We were not Texas residents, we were NV residents, visiting TX. Once we decided to stay here, we bought a home and registered our vehicles here.

After 30 days, you are no longer a visitor. Buying, renting, living in a motel matters not. Don't believe me, ask any peace officer. You are just lucky you didn't get stopped, because you would have been ticketed.

And OBTW, the tax assesors office isn't "a business", so the analogy is an epic fail.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM

94 posts, read 155,121 times
When I registered my car in TX from WA, I paid almost $300. That included registration fees, plates, and title transfer.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM

207 posts, read 463,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymaci View Post
I am moving to Austin in a few months and I am coming from Anchorage AK where we don't pay sales tax. I bought my car last Sept for about $21,000. Will I have to pay sales tax when I register it in TX???
Is it titled in your name in AK? If so you won't have any problems and won't have to pay any sales tax on it. You will have to pay fees to get it registered and titled in Texas, but that's a completely different thing and everyone has to pay those.

It is only when you buy a car out of state while living in Texas that it really comes up. They aren't trying to gouge new residents or anything, just making sure that Texas residents don't avoid the sales and use tax altogether by buying in another state and then pretending they already owned it but hadn't titled it. Heck there are even exemptions for family gifts of vehicles, even from out of state.

When I moved I paid $183.33 to register my already owned car. I recently bought another, much cheaper, car from out of state and paid over $600 due to the taxes.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
Is it titled in your name in AK? If so you won't have any problems and won't have to pay any sales tax on it.
Are you sure about that?

From txdmv.gov:

Quote:
As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax.
If the previous state's sales tax was zero, then the difference would be the full 6.125%, wouldn't it? I could be wrong as well. Probably would be worth calling the tax assessor's office at 512-854-9473.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 44,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
Is it titled in your name in AK? If so you won't have any problems and won't have to pay any sales tax on it. You will have to pay fees to get it registered and titled in Texas, but that's a completely different thing and everyone has to pay those.

It is only when you buy a car out of state while living in Texas that it really comes up. They aren't trying to gouge new residents or anything, just making sure that Texas residents don't avoid the sales and use tax altogether by buying in another state and then pretending they already owned it but hadn't titled it. Heck there are even exemptions for family gifts of vehicles, even from out of state.

When I moved I paid $183.33 to register my already owned car. I recently bought another, much cheaper, car from out of state and paid over $600 due to the taxes.
Hi, I just wanted to follow up on this post just in case someone else is looking for this information down the road. Spacepup was indeed correct and I did not have to pay sales tax on my vehicle, only the "new resident tax" of $90. The total to get the car registered was $187.25 plus about $30 for the state inspection. But I agree, the terminology is VERY confusing and I was really nervous that I might get stuck paying sales tax.

I do have friends that said they had to pay tax in other states after registering their Alaska vehicles but luckily for me, that was NOT the case in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin