Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
i dont know if I fit into into this discussion at all but i live south of austin ( kyle ) have direct tv no land line and pay time warner $ 32 P M for internet service home service not a business .
why the direrance in price ??
You didn't provide enough information to explain the pricing. You pay TW $32/month for internet.

Do you bundle it with anything else?
What bandwidth/speed are you buying from TW?
Are you under a promo, still?
Do you have wireless?
Are you using your own modem and router?
Is $32 before or after taxes and fees?

I don't have TW here in Dallas, but I can tell you, after researching internet options, that TW requires people here to buy a fast bandwidth in order to have wireless service. It's the second from the max level that you have to buy.

TW will let you use your own equipment (there's a compatible list), or you can lease equipment from TW.

Like other companies, TW has one year promotions on its services, after which it reverts to regular pricing.

You can bundle internet with "voice" and/or tv services.

All those things have an effect on the price someone pays.

Here in Dallas, the only TW internet you can get in the range of $30-$40 is the PROMO price of $30 for 12 months of 3 mbps, after which it reverts to regular pricing, which is $40/month. The $30 price is BEFORE taxes and fees. And as I stated, the TW will not let you have wireless capability at regular or low bandwidth speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree that their tech support is hit or miss. But why do you think Google Fiber techies will be any better than TWC or ATT?
From what I read where it is up and running there have been no problems. TWC tech support for BUSINESS was good, but they simply were not competitive for price/speed.

There is no way tech support could be worse than what I have experienced with AT&T.

Don in Austin

Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 11,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
And as I stated, the TW will not let you have wireless capability at regular or low bandwidth speeds.
Here in Round Rock, we got the lowest level of service for a year from Time Warner, Internet-only, for the promo price, and when that ran out got the second-lowest level for a new promo price. From the start, we plugged in our own modem (Motorola SB6141) and our own wifi (Airport Extreme). We’ve never had trouble with the wireless.

We were pleasantly surprised that we could watch Netflix and other streaming video at the lowest level, though we couldn’t do two things at once without the video getting choppy (now that we’re at the second lowest level, that issue is gone).

We did have some trouble with the Internet itself going out for a few minutes every few weeks, requiring a reboot of the cable modem, but that stopped a month or so after Google announced its service was coming to Austin.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM

431 posts, read 474,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You didn't provide enough information to explain the pricing. You pay TW $32/month for internet.

Do you bundle it with anything else?
What bandwidth/speed are you buying from TW?
Are you under a promo, still?
Do you have wireless?
Are you using your own modem and router?
Is $32 before or after taxes and fees?

I don't have TW here in Dallas, but I can tell you, after researching internet options, that TW requires people here to buy a fast bandwidth in order to have wireless service. It's the second from the max level that you have to buy.

TW will let you use your own equipment (there's a compatible list), or you can lease equipment from TW.

Like other companies, TW has one year promotions on its services, after which it reverts to regular pricing.

You can bundle internet with "voice" and/or tv services.

All those things have an effect on the price someone pays.

Here in Dallas, the only TW internet you can get in the range of $30-$40 is the PROMO price of $30 for 12 months of 3 mbps, after which it reverts to regular pricing, which is $40/month. The $30 price is BEFORE taxes and fees. And as I stated, the TW will not let you have wireless capability at regular or low bandwidth speeds.
yes i pay$32 for internel only i was charged more, complained and they put it back to $32 i do believe its not the fastest speed they have but i only use it at home ( for pleasure ) why would i want the fastest speed ever ..how much differance would i notice ?? my own router thier modem,
if you keep threatening to cancel your contract they will come up with some promotion to keep you as a customer always works for me for TV as well

Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Unfortunately, the Google Fiber roll out will take a long long time just to cover the city of Austin. Those of us outside the city may never see it.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
Default Waiting for Google fiber

We live northwest of MoPac and Parmer. We have an ATT box across the street and we are pleased with the 45mb internet service that we have had for one year. One outage and it was quickly attended to, and no serious slowing. We are running 5 ROKUs, often three at once, and four computers/tablets, often three at once. We have no TV provider except antennae and ROKU.

Next month our total service cost will jump from $83/mo to $93/mo. I will attempt to negotiate ATT's new 75mb service at that time, for the same price.

TWC is offering 300mb service here, but we do not trust them for service response or for reliability. For us there will not yet be a "need" for 100mb+ rates, as described below.

We will not require faster service until we want UHD TVs and the timing of google fiber's appearance in our neighborhood is not YET a problem.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInAustin View Post
We live northwest of MoPac and Parmer. We have an ATT box across the street and we are pleased with the 45mb internet service that we have had for one year. One outage and it was quickly attended to, and no serious slowing. We are running 5 ROKUs, often three at once, and four computers/tablets, often three at once. We have no TV provider except antennae and ROKU.

Next month our total service cost will jump from $83/mo to $93/mo. I will attempt to negotiate ATT's new 75mb service at that time, for the same price.

TWC is offering 300mb service here, but we do not trust them for service response or for reliability. For us there will not yet be a "need" for 100mb+ rates, as described below.

We will not require faster service until we want UHD TVs and the timing of google fiber's appearance in our neighborhood is not YET a problem.
We've had TWC 100mb service for over a year it it has NEVER gone down. They are making a big effor to improve their service. You should check out their pricing. We now have a UHD TV and stream Neflix 4K..... it is absolutely stunning.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
RoadKing, where in Austin are you? I value that feedback, and would be willing to try TWC again if several of you have had decent experiences with them recently. Have you clocked your minimum speed during heavy traffic times?

BTW, I now have the AT&T service at 75mbs [$91/mo total]and it clocks 62-84 with the most typical rate @72. Satisfactory for now.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:42 PM

Near the intersection of Bee Caves Road and Barton Creek Blvd.

Yes, I speed test every week. Right now I'm getter 118 Mbps upload speed even though it's only supposed to be 100 Mbps.

We have had no problem streaming 4k UHD from Netflix and that uses a lot of bandwidth.

I'll test again during peak hours tonight.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 PM

I'm getting 109 Mbps at 9 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin