Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

WARNING: you will pay up to 20% more for eqivalent services. As of Jan 2015 ATT in Austin is:
$130.00 for Uverse TV 300 package
$59.00 for Internet
$56.00 for Voice
...which comes up to around $250.00 per month (taxes included). TWC will cost you around $198.00 for roughly the same services !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v24x7 View Post
WARNING: you will pay up to 20% more for eqivalent services. As of Jan 2015 ATT in Austin is:
$130.00 for Uverse TV 300 package
$59.00 for Internet
$56.00 for Voice
...which comes up to around $250.00 per month (taxes included). TWC will cost you around $198.00 for roughly the same services !!!
Gee first post ever to provide us this warning. Are you a shill for Time-Warner?

Those prices you post look highly exaggerated to me, as I'm paying only $150/month for the Uverse TV 300 package and internet. That is $39 less than what you claim it should cost.

No home phone needed since I mostly use my cell phone these days.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
...just wait. You are now on some sort of "PROMO". Once that goes away...then new numbers will kick in !!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
I switched to U-Verse for business at my shop just south of the river. I dumped TW because they would not offer decent speed (important for my security cameras) at anything close to a competitive price. About every two weeks the internet drops out intermittently which is a real pain for a business. I always ask if there are network issues and they say "no." I ask "are you sure?" and they say "No." They send a tech who is worse than clueless -- I know more than he does and this is not my line of work. This last tech did a "factory reset" on the AT&T modem/router and wiped out all my custom settings that allowed me to use a router downstream of the AT&T box. I had to do my own research to arrive at these settings because the documentation is very poor. The "tech" did NOT inform me he was going to do this. Hours later and after all kinds of guesswork by the "tech" as to the nature of the problem my system is up and running again, but the modem is no longer password protected and password protection can not be implemented. The tech is trying to reinstate password protection through the wireless settings on the AT&T box despite the fact that I keep telling him, "Turn wireless off on you box, my router handles that!" An online tech support guy told me that password protection does not really matter! I have installed and configured many routers and have never seen one without password protection. Two days later an automated call informs me the problems in my area were network issues -- as I tried to say all along.

Google Fiber is coming in in a month or two, and not a minute too soon!

Don in Austin

Old 01-23-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v24x7 View Post
...just wait. You are now on some sort of "PROMO". Once that goes away...then new numbers will kick in !!
I have been with AT&T for years and never experienced any significant price increases.

I was with TW before that and dropped them because they were so unreliable and unable to fix the problems we kept experiencing.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 PM

431 posts, read 474,529 times
i dont know if I fit into into this discussion at all but i live south of austin ( kyle ) have direct tv no land line and pay time warner $ 32 P M for internet service home service not a business .
why the direrance in price ??

Old 01-24-2015, 11:53 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I was inches away from dropping TWC as my ISP. Was waiting for AT&T to introduce Gigapower to my neighborhood. Then TWC upgraded to 300 Mbps for the same price as 50, and the service has gotten VERY stable (think it was as much the upgraded modem I had to buy to get 300 Mbps as the stability of the service).

Also, have a WiFi iPad and the extensive availability of the TWC public network access points around Austin (and also nationally) has been a real plus for my situation.

Color me converted.
If you're in Austin, why don't you get Google Fiber? It's one of the handful of cities in the U.S. where Google entered the ISP market. It's supposed to be super fast and at a reasonable cost.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If you're in Austin, why don't you get Google Fiber? It's one of the handful of cities in the U.S. where Google entered the ISP market. It's supposed to be super fast and at a reasonable cost.
It is not available yet in most of Austin. Looks like 6 months to a year before its available in most of the city. I will probably sign up when it gets here.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I switched to U-Verse for business at my shop just south of the river. I dumped TW because they would not offer decent speed (important for my security cameras) at anything close to a competitive price.
I have TW 100 GB speed with 300+ channels for $140. It never goes down

Old 01-24-2015, 12:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Google Fiber is coming in in a month or two, and not a minute too soon!

Don in Austin
I agree that their tech support is hit or miss. But why do you think Google Fiber techies will be any better than TWC or ATT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin