Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM

251 posts, read 395,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, I know....sorry, couldn't help it

Don't want to start this again, but going from say 5% to 8% is not a big deal. Those are pretty good numbers right there. So, the suburbs have gotten more poor people. Why should that be something to be made aware of, if you're a newcomer? Is it that the burbs will be largely poor and Austin largely affluent? Don't really think so. What would be of note to me as a newcomer is a) crime rate, b) schools, c) amenities, and d) proximity to shopping. Most suburban areas are still low in crime and have decent schools, despite what this OP states. Also, many suburban cities are still comprised of mostly middle classed people.
Smart investors tend to pay attention to trends. Poverty, traffic congestion, property taxes, crime, and so on and so forth should be considered as they stand today and in terms of where they will be in the future. When I buy a house I want to know which direction the area is heading. Not sure why you're adding straw man statements like "Is it that the burbs will be largely poor and Austin largely affluent?" into the discussion.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Smart investors tend to pay attention to trends. Poverty, traffic congestion, property taxes, crime, and so on and so forth should be considered as they stand today and in terms of where they will be in the future. When I buy a house I want to know which direction the area is heading. Not sure why you're adding straw man statements like "Is it that the burbs will be largely poor and Austin largely affluent?" into the discussion.
A small percentage increase in the poverty rate (considering the volume of newcomers), and compared to everything else, doesn't alter the trajectory of an area at all. There are many savvy people who purchase in suburban areas and can easily say that the trajectory is going in the right direction. There are only two things that are of any "concern" to people purchasing in most suburban areas -- property taxes and possible commute time. Just like two shootings caused by dumb+++es indicate a trend in crime either.

And all of this is largely off topic anyway, so I'm done with it.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM

251 posts, read 395,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are only two things that are of any "concern" to people purchasing in most suburban areas -- property taxes and possible commute time.
Very definitive. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Well, if cars parked in driveways bother you, then you need to stay out of Steiner then too.

Also, although we are technically not supposed to park on the street overnight here (Steiner Ranch), people do it all the time. And no one cares, unless maybe you have a boat or RV. Our neighbors have 4 kids and 4 cars. They almost always have a car parked on the street. But as long as I can get in and out of my driveway, I couldn't care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin