Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,834 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are coming to Austin for 4 days in August and I'm having a hard time deciding on hotel options. I have found an Extended Stay on Guadalupe for $123 a night with free parking. This seems like a we'd be able to walk to some sights downtown easily, but it will be August and pretty hot (I personally don't mind walking in the heat, but I think my travel companion might)...is it worth it to stay downtown if we may end up driving and paying for parking anyway? Would we have to do a lot of walking even if we used a parking garage? I've never been to Austin so I'm not really sure about the availability/pricing of parking.

I am also on the hunt for some activities. I think we will visit the LBJ library, see a show at the Scottish Rite Theatre, the Children's museum, the Chinatown Center, Waterloo and Cheapo Discs...Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Plan on doing your walking in the evening as it cools down some, but it will still be hot evenings in August. Plan daytime activities around water sports, at your hotel and say visit Hippie Hollow on Lake Travis, it is a county park where nudity is encouraged and legal.

http://www.hippiehollow.com/

https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/fin.../hippie-hollow

During the day you will enjoy your trips more if you drive and walk, unless the destination is a short distance from your hotel.

Extended Stay at 6th and Quadalupe would be a great location to focus your visit downtown.

Take in a show at Home - Esther's Follies It is a combination comedy, magic show with a slightly adult flavor. Always a lot of fun. Buy your tickets online ahead of time and you can skip the long line at the door.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM

113 posts, read 208,578 times
air bnb

Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Has Hippie Hollow changed? For the longest time, it seemed that only older men would be having a "natural time" there. The early 90's was the last time I actually went there, but I had driven past via boat a few times since with people who were curious and had never been there.

Edit: The Hippie Hollow section here sums up my limited experiences there - https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Austin

Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
I think you should stay downtown. You can walk or get pedicabs or cabs. Is Cheapo still open though? Also, Chinatown Center - isn't that pretty far from downtown up on north lamar/burnet? DOn't know if I'd make a special trip up there unless there was some event going on. LBJ Library is great. Blanton Musuem too. Catch a play at Zach Scott. Catch a classic movie at Paramount

Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Rent some bikes from http://www.bartonspringsbikerental.com/ and go on some trail rides. Go swimming at Barton Springs pool. Visit the Blanton Museum of Art, Bullock Texas State History Museum, and Texas Natural Science Center at UT. Visit the State Capitol. Hit up the bars on Rainey St. and/or W. 6th/E. 6th St. Check out Whole Foods flagship store downtown.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
You can also tour the Governor's mansion or visit the shops on South Congress or take a Duck tour.

Friends of the Texas Governor's Mansion

Welcome to First Thursday, South Congress Ave. Merchant News

Austin Duck Adventures | Land and Lake Tours of Austin

Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM

152 posts, read 196,414 times
Zilker park. Don't miss it. Swim in the spring fed pool. It cures the august heat instantly.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,834 times
Thanks everybody! I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out!

The part about Hippie Hollow gave me a chuckle because I'm going with my mother haha. I'd probably check it out if I were just with friends, just to say I'd been!

Also, thanks for the heads-up about Cheapo: it IS closed! Blanton, Whole Foods, Zilker Park, Esther's Follies, Paramount, air bnb, Governor's Mansion, and State Capital are all great suggestions! Thanks again!

Last edited by jp0058; 07-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
I recommend the Hilton downtown. The nicer one further from IH35.

If you're on a lower budget, there is a Hampton Inn downtown that's suitable, or a smaller Marriot up on 11th.

Do stay downtown though. It makes a great home base and offers a lot of things for which you need no car.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: