Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,048 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Greetings!

We have been looking for new home since last one month and finally found a floor plan which we like.

The builder is offering the floor plan at three different locations. But the issue is price. Following is the price of home w/upgrades at all three locations. Also I havent negotiated anything till now.

Brushy Creek - 257K (50 ft lot)
1. This area of cedar park is not far from 183 or 35 or 620. So it is well connected.
2. Sommer Elementary seems to have good ratings.

Behrens Ranch - 282K (65 ft lot)
1. Near 35, which is clogged during commute hours.
2. The elementary school is exemplary.

Meridian - 295K (55 ft lot) - backs into green belt.
1. Kind of near to the downtown.
2. New school - Any idea, how it will turn out to be?
3. I read about no U turn being there for commuters coming from Mopac onto 45. I realize this will be an issue for us as well.
4. Also while we were looking at some lots and an inventory home we could hear vehicle noise. We assume that was from SH45 or 1826. Do all the homes get that noise or that particular street was close to one of the roads?
5. Do Circle-C and Meridian share the amenities?

Now considering the fact that my work place is near 183 and I-35 intersection and my wife works just south of downtown, Meridian will be closest but because we currently stay at Riata we are used to 183 commute.

But before we finalize we have few questions.

We started with a budget of 225K to 265K. So is Meridian worth that extra 30K?
We can break our investments and get that extra 10K in downpayment for Meridian, but again is it worth it.

But what is the resale value of homes in these area. I can see lot of new development happening in all three communities?

Does lot size or Green belt add to the value of home?

We dont have kids right now but we have plans for one next year end. Does that change anything in the equation?

We know we have put in lot of qusns in one shot but we would really appreciate any input.

Thanks
Maddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
A 50 ft lot feels really small to me, have you walked a lot that is that dimension with your house on it? I'd make sure you have enough room for a yard if you are planning on having children.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Meridian is worth the extra money. It is in SW Austin which is an ideal commute to downtown Austin. The elementary going in will probably be rated as high as Clayton in Circle C. Meridian does not share amenties with Circle C. Meridian is a smaller community and very nice. I WOULD NOT buy one of the lots that borders 45 or 1826, that would be a big mistake for resale. The road noise is atrocious. Buy one of the interior lots. You cannot really compare Brushy Creek to Meridian. I used to live North and I prefer south. There are so many new things being built down here, the Alamo Drafthouse and many restaurants are going in on Slaughter Lane right in Circle C, the HEB is outstanding as well. Homes in SW Austin appreciate faster than the homes up in Behrens or Brushy. Of course, you need to stay in the home for more than 5 years since it is new construction. I prefer SW Austin to those other areas because they really aren't Austin. An extra 30K will run you around 210 more per month, it's worth it. Also, consider the property tax rate, down in Meridian it is only 2.2 I believe. Other areas are more. Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Also, the turnaround will be completed by March. They are working on it now. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I prefer SW Austin to those other areas because they really aren't Austin.
Exactly, they are Round Rock and the homes in Round Rock have appreciated quite nicely also. To the OP, find the place that makes you the most comfortable.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM

RR has experienced some depreciation in the downturn while SW Austin has not.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
RR has experienced some depreciation in the downturn while SW Austin has not.
That is wonderful that South Austin is great for you. It isn't great for everyone, why can't you understand that everyone has different interests. Some love South Austin, some love Steiner, and believe it or not some love Cedar Park. I know that this shocks you, but it really is true.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

Yeah, but the OP was asking which area to buy in. I happen to think that SW Austin is the best for proximity to downtown. You are taking my posts the wrong way. It doesn't shock me at all. I prefer SW Austin and I listed my reasons for it. That is what this forum is for. People ask for advice and we give it. Don't get so offended by forum posts.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM

130 posts, read 386,557 times
Its ultimately what are your preferences and what do u think u enjoy the most. I have a dog and wife (no kids yet) and recently signed a contract to buy a house in Ranch@Brushy Creek. Along with the schools, my requirements were a nice park with some water-body and enough open place to take a nice stroll / walk. Other than Zilker Park in heart of downtown, I don't know many places to do this. Commute to work is important,but not #1 priority to us.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Many of your questions are related to value. I think in all three of those communities your best buy is going to be found in a resale home, for many reasons. By focusing only on new homes, and thus limiting your pool of candidate properties, you are not seeking the best value available, even though your questions indicate it's important to you. Why are you looking at new homes?

Also, if you are not experienced purchasing a new home and how to negotiate with the builders, you will be leaving even more money on the table.

I assume you are not working with an agent else these questions would already have been answered and they would have you looking at resale homes as well. I'm sure short sales can be found in all of those communities, and a short sale would be your best chance at having instant equity in whatever you buy. I'd look into that before committing to a new home.

Good luck.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin