Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,188 times

Advertisements

Curious what each neighborhood is requiring. I hear various things. Just cause the city is on once a week or none a week watering, does not mean every neighborhood is requiring this even though they must. In places around Austin, what is your neighborhood requiring and what are the HOAs saying about grass/dying grass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
You can actually water more than once a week. We have a automatic sprinkler system - on our day, once a week, starting at 1 AM. One inch on all turf zones. There are shrubs on two zones that have drip manifolds on all sprinklers in that zone - can go any time. If you have a soaker hose laid at the drip line for your trees, any time. Hand held hose end manual or watering can - any time. Then, you can use hose end sprinklers on another day from your automatic day. And our rain barrel is exempt - as long as it lasts!

Really no excuse to have a burnt up yard. If you want one, fine. But not because of the restrictions.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You can actually water more than once a week. We have a automatic sprinkler system - on our day, once a week, starting at 1 AM. One inch on all turf zones. There are shrubs on two zones that have drip manifolds on all sprinklers in that zone - can go any time. If you have a soaker hose laid at the drip line for your trees, any time. Hand held hose end manual or watering can - any time. Then, you can use hose end sprinklers on another day from your automatic day. And our rain barrel is exempt - as long as it lasts!

Really no excuse to have a burnt up yard. If you want one, fine. But not because of the restrictions.

What part of town are you?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
What part of town are you?
City of Austin. If you are a Austin water customer, those are the restrictions you follow.

Where do you live?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Quote:

I think you are misinterpreting the restrictions. You are only supposed to water once a week, not once with your automatic sprinklers and then again with a hose-end sprinkler. Your lawn will survive with a once-a-week watering so long as you water deep (which you are doing) and mow it on the highest setting. Grass will look greyish and wilted in the late afternoon but that doesn't mean it's dying. Look at it in the morning after the dew to determine if water is needed.

Everyone should have rain barrels. It's amazing how quickly they fill up when you just have a little rain. Using that water on potted plants, vegetable gardens, etc. is excellent. The plants just respond better than with chlorinated City water.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I think you are misinterpreting the restrictions. You are only supposed to water once a week, not once with your automatic sprinklers and then again with a hose-end sprinkler. Your lawn will survive with a once-a-week watering so long as you water deep (which you are doing) and mow it on the highest setting. Grass will look greyish and wilted in the late afternoon but that doesn't mean it's dying. Look at it in the morning after the dew to determine if water is needed.

Everyone should have rain barrels. It's amazing how quickly they fill up when you just have a little rain. Using that water on potted plants, vegetable gardens, etc. is excellent. The plants just respond better than with chlorinated City water.
I think you are interpreting the restrictions the way you want. There is nothing to prevent one from watering on both residential days - provided you are on the right day, with the right equipment for that day. FWIW, I get all the water I need in that one day from the automatic system. But there is nothing in the restrictions that would prevent one from doing what I laid out. I've read those things fourteen times - please show me where is says what you say. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.

And as far as your recommendations about length, you are right - unless one has hybrid Bermuda turf. You need to cut it at the LOWEST possible setting - .75 to 1.25 inches, removing only the top 1/3 of the blade.

I was reading the restrictions recently to my wife and told her the recirculating fountain in our courtyard has to be turned off, since the fall is more than four inches. Her reply "When did we move to China? If they want to come up to our front door and tell me to turn it off, they can go _____ themselves." Another happy denizen of the People's Republic.

Last edited by scm53; 07-04-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,104 times
I planted an oak tree in the front yard. Turns out soaker hoses around it also do a credible job at watering the grass. Just by accident, understand.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
I think you are interpreting the restrictions the way you want. There is nothing to prevent one from watering on both residential days - provided you are on the right day, with the right equipment for that day. FWIW, I get all the water I need in that one day from the automatic system. But there is nothing in the restrictions that would prevent one from doing what I laid out. I've read those things fourteen times - please show me where is says what you say. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.
I agree, I have even read the ordinance it self. There does not appear to be anything even implying that you can't water with both an automated sprinkler system on Wed. (in my case) and a hose with above ground sprinklers on Sat. That may not have been intended but that is the way it is written. However I don't expect many people who are used to the conveince of an automatic sprinkler system are going to go out and drag hoses around on the weekend, during the wee hours of the morning or evening. They will probably just increase their watering time on Wed/Tues, or go lay out a soaker hose anytime.

I was glad to see they changed the definition of a soaker or drip hose to include the kind anyone can buy at home depot. Originally that part of the draft ordinance seemed to describe a special type of buried drip irrigation system.

Read the restrictions here http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...g-restrictions

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
In places around Austin, what is your neighborhood requiring and what are the HOAs saying about grass/dying grass?
Our HOA Legend Oaks has lightened up on the notices about dead lawn or dry patches, recognizing that can be difficult to correct while under watering restrictions. I however have been able to keep my landscaping healthy while watering only once a week and occasionally using a soaker hose on dry spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin