Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times

Advertisements

We live in N. Virginia and have 2 small boys (5 & 6); we're in our early 40's.

We lived in Phoenix for a year whe I got promoted/relocated out West just because we couldn't afford SD. Just recently we considered moving to Phx, but have albeit decided against it. We looked briefly at SD again (with the housing slump, we thought we might be able to afford it this time around, but alas decided against it yet again), so we're gonna do the Austin thing.

Regardless of your age/marital situation, I too would suggest SD, Austin, Phx in that order. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:54 AM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
I will make a list of 1st being the best and 3rd being the worst.

Crime-San Diego, Austin, Phoenix

Affordability-Austin, Phoenix, San Diego

for younger people-Austin, San Diego, Phoenix

Best Weather- San Diego, Austin, Phoenix

for older people-Phoenix, San Diego, Austin

Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,900 times
Well we all agree SD is the best, good. I take back what I said about Phoenix. I went to live there, stayed for a week with a friend who lives there and immediately left to live in Pacific Beach (SD). I think I like Tucson better then Phoenix. I said i liked Pheonix when i was in college, cause Tempe is awesome, but after college scotsdale is the hangout. yuck. Chicago has a batter bar scene then scotsdale to me. There was some weird vibe I got from people in Phoenix, can't explain it. It was like a valley of people who want to live in L.A. but couldn't make it

However, I was in a shack in SD paying the equivilent to a 3 bedroom house in tex. I had to move back home in the midwest. San Diego is so freakin cool, but I don't want to live with a roommate for the rest of my life. U literally live in a ****hole unless u cn afford a $500,000 house in La Jolla.I am in the process of checkin out austin now lol, I heard the people there r way cool and the girls r just as hot. I couldn't leave San Diego cause i would rent a movie or get some milk and it was like spring break. There r girls EVERYWHERE!! Hopefully Austin is like that. plus Austin is 3rd in the country for jobs, and affordable living. Just hope there is more to do then 6th street.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM

74 posts, read 177,074 times
I've lived in Austin on and off for many years. I lived in Phoenix (Tempe) for 6 months. I WISH I could say I've lived in SD, but I've only visited. We stayed there for a month last summer and tried our best to "act" like we lived there - we didn't go to the tourist attractions, but instead we went to the beaches, neighborhood parks, etc. We were seriously thinking about moving there, but ultimately decided against it.

Here is my .02.

If I could live anywhere, it would be SD. La Jolla preferably, but really anywhere within 20 minutes from La Jolla. I can't afford it and even what I can afford would be way too small for my family of four.

Austin is my second choice and it's where I live now. I would not live just anywhere in Austin, I'm very particular about living in Austin proper and close to downtown. Honestly, I love Austin and all the nature, cultural events, etc. that it has to offer. I was born and raised in south Texas so I'm used to the heat, but the older I get the more tired I get of the heat and the long summers.

Tempe was a cool city within a big metroplex that didn't seem so cool to me. I like the way the streets were laid out (very good city planning) and the cultural diversity of the area. But the heat, oh wow, it was awful. The only saving grace is that we could get to the mountains and cooler weather in a matter of hours - but unfortunately everyone else had that idea, too. So Phoenix would be my 3rd choice.

Oh, how I love San Diego. If I were young with no major responsibilities and in the biotech or health care industry, I would go for SD!

Good luck. What an exciting adventure for you!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 18,034 times
I have lived in all 3 cities. Started out in San Diego but it was too expensive, so I moved to Phoenix. Biggest mistake of my life. Then I moved to Austin. But I couldn't stand the humidity in the summer, the ice storms in the winter, or the rain all year round, so moved back to Phoenix. In my opinion, San Diego hands down. It's expensive, but worth every penny. I'd rank Austin a very distant 2nd and Phoenix 3rd.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Austin is simply not in the same league as Phoenix and San Diego. You can't compare rotten apples to oranges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1998 View Post
I have lived in all 3 cities. Started out in San Diego but it was too expensive, so I moved to Phoenix. Biggest mistake of my life. Then I moved to Austin. But I couldn't stand the humidity in the summer, the ice storms in the winter, or the rain all year round, so moved back to Phoenix. In my opinion, San Diego hands down. It's expensive, but worth every penny. I'd rank Austin a very distant 2nd and Phoenix 3rd.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
You might also want to consider San Francisco. I live here and have for over 10 years. Its a great city for younger people. That and the job market is pretty diverse. The weather isn't as warm as SD, but coming from New England will be like living in summer year-round as the winter temps rarely get below the mid 50's. Summers are also pretty pleasant with the temps being in the 60's and 70's.

I visited SD last year. Rents are wayyyy more expensive there for some reason. On the other hand it is warmer. That and its beautiful ( even though SF is also)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM

103 posts, read 215,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I think I agree with the sentiment here, ranking the places:

1. San Diego, if you can afford it, wonderful weather and geography, city's undergoing a renaissance
2. Austin -- hip, vibrant, but a little small and wretchedly hot in the summer
3. Phoenix -- sprawling, like LA without the glamour/hipness/weather
A 500K house in La Jolla... where.. non-existent your pushing 700+ just to live in UTC (Just east of La Jolla, aka the Golden Triangle).. housing here is EXPENSIVE we live in a reasonable upscale neighborhood in a 1600 sqft cookie cutter house.. and its 500K in today's market!

San Diego is a great town....but its the crush that will get to you.. if you like LOTS of people going nowhere special just out and about.. then you'll be ok.... Depending on the time of day its feast or famine.. its becoming allot like Los Angeles. The traditional traffic hours are bad in most directions worse in others.. Sundays on the 5 north or south.. dont even think of starting out to go north or come in from the south.. is sometimes a near parking lot.

The biggest positive of SoCal is that if you can think of it... you can find a place to do it. Ive gone surfing on a Saturday and skiing on a Sunday in the middle of winter.. the price you pay... crowded.. you're never alone.

In the hill country... find a little traveled road its quiet

I'm actually considering a move to Austin.. and the only things that give me hesitation.. No ocean.. and the humidity and heat in the summer.

Ive visited Austin a few times and love the city..as a matter of fact Austin reminds me of "Sandy Ego" but with out the crush of people.

Phoenix.. um.. yuck its just a big city in the desert... very clean.. and your close to Tucson so you can get your fill of Sonoran Hot dogs.. Ambrosia... hot dog wrapped in bacon, smotherd in all the good stuff from south of the border

Last edited by BitViper; 10-07-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Well, it looks like coolfern quit posting THREE YEARS AGO, when this thread was alive. Hope she found what she was looking for...she was all over the map!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM

103 posts, read 215,942 times
Doh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: