Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 22,137 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in Austin and my electricity provider is PEC. I am thinking of using DIY Solar installation kits to install the Panels on my roof.

I know, I need to get Permit from PEC for solar installation. Do I also need to get permit from City of austin?.

If some has done it yourself a SOLAR installation, please give me some steps.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,600 times
Call up PEC and see if they offer a rebate program. I am in the Austin Energy service area and used the rebate they offered and it paid for roughly 60% of the system cost. Tax savings and energy reductions is just a side benefit. I looked into DIY but with the Austin rebates I'd of been a fool to go that route. It really was lower cost for the same installed wattage with the rebate program. Yes they charge more for install but when you factor in the rebate it's a easy decision to make.

Now if PEC does not offer any rebate then the DIY is an alternative. You can certainly buy the materials cheap enough. Just be aware you will still ned to have a master electrician install the service boxes and infrastructure. You need to pass an electrical building permit process. Without the proper permits they will never authorize you to hook into the grid. Here in Austin we run two meters. A solar meter and then the utility grid meter. If I over-produce the utility's meter runs backwards. The Solar meter only runs forward and counts off every kWh generated. AE pays me based on the number of kWh generated with a 12.8 cents "Solar Value Credit". The highest summer residential rate is 11.4 cents per kWh so it pays down the investment fairly quickly.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnissen View Post
Call up PEC and see if they offer a rebate program. I am in the Austin Energy service area and used the rebate they offered and it paid for roughly 60% of the system cost. Tax savings and energy reductions is just a side benefit. I looked into DIY but with the Austin rebates I'd of been a fool to go that route. It really was lower cost for the same installed wattage with the rebate program. Yes they charge more for install but when you factor in the rebate it's a easy decision to make.

Now if PEC does not offer any rebate then the DIY is an alternative. You can certainly buy the materials cheap enough. Just be aware you will still ned to have a master electrician install the service boxes and infrastructure. You need to pass an electrical building permit process. Without the proper permits they will never authorize you to hook into the grid. Here in Austin we run two meters. A solar meter and then the utility grid meter. If I over-produce the utility's meter runs backwards. The Solar meter only runs forward and counts off every kWh generated. AE pays me based on the number of kWh generated with a 12.8 cents "Solar Value Credit". The highest summer residential rate is 11.4 cents per kWh so it pays down the investment fairly quickly.
What was your total cost and the total square footage of solar? What has your average kwH of generation been?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I agree with jnissen, I'm pretty positive the OP will have to get a permit and will not be allowed to do the complete installation without a licensed electrician doing a lot of it. But that is for his own protection as well as his neighbors and the power grid, to avoid creating a fire hazard and damage to the power grid.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Agreed. DIY installation works in rural areas, but in urban areas it does not pay under current structures.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I agree with jnissen, I'm pretty positive the OP will have to get a permit and will not be allowed to do the complete installation without a licensed electrician doing a lot of it. But that is for his own protection as well as his neighbors and the power grid, to avoid creating a fire hazard and damage to the power grid.
You can get what is called a "Home Owner's Permit" which will allow you to do electrical work on your own house with out actually being a licensed electrician, provided you can prove you own the house.

Whether or not the local rebates for solar work will apply if you don't use a licensed solar installer (different than just an electrical licensee) I don't know, but yes a permit is required to tie your solar panels into the grid and yes there are quite a few code requirements for this installation.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
What was your total cost and the total square footage of solar? What has your average kwH of generation been?
It's been over a year and with the costs changing on panels and installed rates changing all the time it really can't be used as a good benchmarking system. When I first put in my first array it was paying back $3.00 an installed watt. When I added the second row it was $2.50 a watt but the panels were a lot cheaper. That was only a 1 year difference yet the second years expansion was significantly lower cost (not as much infrastructure required but still some).

I now have a substantial array that actually creates a surplus for the home up through June. My first bill was a partial bill in June and now of course while it's hot it's only covering about 60% of my energy use. I am hopeful that Austin Energy will change the "Value of Solar" payment terms so that any excess production does not reset to zero in January. I hear they are considering changing the terms to allow it to accumulate forever but can never be cashed in for actual dollars. That would reduce the chances of someone building a huge array that covers their expenses and then starts to actually make them money in return. I'd just be happy if I could roll over the few months when it's cool and I do accumulate some surplus.

Tried to link the array here on the forum but it does not link the hyperlinks. pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=19133

Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITO View Post
You can get what is called a "Home Owner's Permit" which will allow you to do electrical work on your own house with out actually being a licensed electrician, provided you can prove you own the house.

Whether or not the local rebates for solar work will apply if you don't use a licensed solar installer (different than just an electrical licensee) I don't know, but yes a permit is required to tie your solar panels into the grid and yes there are quite a few code requirements for this installation.
I'm pretty sure that the work you do under a "Home Owner's Permit" still has to pass all the same inspections and approvals by the permit office. So unless you reallly know what you are doing, this could be a "hard row to hoe".

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

206 posts, read 298,854 times
Look at PEC's interconnection page:
http://www.pec.coop/Home/Energy_Serv...erconnect.aspx

Read the policy and documents, it's not that long.

Also just some quick tips and instructions:

Steps to install a grid-tied, shingle roof mount solar system:
1. Get up on your roof.
2. Mark out your array.
3. Find support rafters and drill a hole.
4. Cut shingles for roof flashing.
5. Pookie the holes and bolts and attach the foot.
6. Pookie the top of the bolts and install the flashing for the foot. (Roof-leaks is a ***** so make sure it doesn't leak!)
7. Repeat step 3-6 for every foot on your array.
8. Attach your uni-strut/rails to the footing.
9. Run and crimp your electrical wires for the modules to a single point.
10. Move the modules up the roof and attach it to the rails making sure it's straight and not crooked. You can ground and connect each modules together while you are laying it down so you don't have to get under the modules to do this later on.
11. Test the last module to be put down with a volt meter. Then test the strings in your array to make sure they are producing the correct amount of voltage if not, remove the modules and fix the wiring.
12. Bend EMT conduits and attach them with foot/flashing going from your combiner box to where your electrical service panel is on the side of your house.
13. Attach the grid-tied inverter, disconnect, meter, grounding bar, lighting protector and complete all electrical wiring to your main service panel. Make sure your solar circuit breaker is disconnected/off in your main service panel.
14. Fish-line the wires from the panels on top of the roof through the EMT conduits to the disconnect box and attach the wires.
15. Test the voltage with a multimeter.
16. Plug in a test electrical meter.
17. Turn on the solar breaker in your service panel.
18. Test the AC voltage and your inverter.
19. Watch your electrical meter go backwards but your solar test meter will always go forwards.
20. Shut the whole system down, pull out the test meter, cover it and call the system in for inspection.

Steps to install a grid-tied, metal roof mount solar system:

1. Get up on your roof.
2. Mark out your array.
3. Attach the special S5 or other metal roof footing and repeat for every foot on your array.
4. Start from step 8 above.

There are other, micro inverters, grid-tied battery backup, stand-alone...

Don't forget to use PVWatts to help you design your system. Buy manufactured panels. Use galvanized parts, it'll be outside under the weather. Point the array south facing the sun and avoid shading on your array.

Electrical isn't funny so make sure you know what you're doing or hire a professional. Death, injuries, fire and accidents can occur. Wire it wrong and I think boom or pop. I never wired it wrong because we do multiple checks before turning the power plant on.

This is just a summary of steps, those DIY panel scams is just what it is, a scam. If the modules break because of some really strong hail to break the tempered glass, you have homeowners insurance to cover it, and if the production on the modules isn't up to par with what the specs are, you have the manufactures warranty. Inverters too.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM

206 posts, read 298,854 times
Oh yeah get a Electrician Licensing , Apprentice is all you need

The FAQ also states Electrical Safety and Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who must be licensed?
Anyone who performs electrical work in the state of Texas must be licensed.

Electrical work is defined as:
  • Any labor or material used in installing, maintaining or extending an electrical wiring system and the appurtenances, apparatus or equipment used in connection with the use of electrical energy in, on, outside, or attached to a building, residence, structure, property, or premises;
  • Service entrance conductors, as defined by the National Electrical Code.
9. I work as an electrician in agricultural operations only, such as farming and ranching. Do I need a statewide electrician’s license?
No, a state electrician’s license is not required for electrical work performed on a building, structure, or equipment used in agriculture. For more on exemptions, see the “Exemptions” section below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin