Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
The "weird" people in Austin don't go around and advertise themselves to regular people. For the most part, they keep to themselves and their own connection of friends. Around campus, southside (and now eastside) in the parts of town suburbanites and tourists don't go or wouldn't go..as they always have.
Exactly. Counter-culture is constantly changing face. Things aren't supposed to be how they used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
. Around campus, southside (and now eastside) in the parts of town suburbanites and tourists don't go or wouldn't go..
Stereotype much? You have no clue where you can find me or my neighbors on the weekends.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 AM

593 posts, read 470,323 times
the death of Leslie by that reckless madman that ran him over hurt Austin's weirdness, but nonetheles I saw 2 females riding their bikes topless down the drag couple days ago around 7pm. I'd say that's pretty weird, and brave...lol..damn near made me ride up on the curb......you won't see THAT in Houston guaranteeed.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM

593 posts, read 470,323 times
Quote:
The "weird" people in Austin don't go around and advertise themselves to regular people. For the most part, they keep to themselves and their own connection of friends. Around campus, southside (and now eastside) in the parts of town suburbanites and tourists don't go or wouldn't go..as they always have.
and that's the unique weirdness I like. ... everybody shouldn't try to be everybody's friend. that's fake to me. I like to keep the buggaboos and debbie downers out of the circle.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, commercializing the phrase certainly didn't help at all! SHAME on them!
Wasn't the phrase invented by the Austin Business Alliance?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Austin isn't weird unless you think hating Houston while emulating Houston's sprawling pattern of growth is weird.

I happen to think it's very weird, though certainly nothing to crow about.
Is that what we are doing? I thought we were developing with an explicitly stated goal of urban infill, hence all the newly approved residential towers downtown, focus on downtown amenities, focus on mixed use development instead of single use residential or single use commercial, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
the death of Leslie by that reckless madman that ran him over hurt Austin's weirdness, but nonetheles I saw 2 females riding their bikes topless down the drag couple days ago around 7pm. I'd say that's pretty weird, and brave...lol..damn near made me ride up on the curb......you won't see THAT in Houston guaranteeed.
I saw stuff like that in Houston when I lived there. But I frequented the parts of town where you may actually see it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Same as every other city. That doesn't make Austin any weirder than any other place.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Is that what we are doing? I thought we were developing with an explicitly stated goal of urban infill, hence all the newly approved residential towers downtown, focus on downtown amenities, focus on mixed use development instead of single use residential or single use commercial, etc.
Have you driven down roads like 2222 lately?

Actually, the question should be: did you drive down 2222 15 years ago?

Austin is going through a massive suburban development phase, and it has been for at least 10 years.

Austin, like Houston, is a car-centric city. As much as Houston? No. But the fact of the matter is that commuter traffic is dependent upon the car in Austin, and this is resulting in similar patterns that Houston experienced during it's booms. Look at all of the highways, road expansions and additional roads added to Austin over the last few years. They haven't been added so that the urban folks can get out of town.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
That's happening in a very small percentage of the city. Austin's footprint is vast for a city of its size. a big sprawling mess of a place.

4/5 people moving to "Austin" aren't even moving to Austin at all. They're forced into Hays and Willco.

Austin pays lip service to urbanism and gorges whole hog on suburbanism.

It's nice that downtown has gradually evolved into having a modicum of urbanism -that's an improvement over what it use to be (moribund), but it's only a very very modest start. In the meantime the surrounding hill country we use to enjoy is getting paved over at an ever accellerating pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin