Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the worst traffic in Austin?
My part of town *please specify* 0 0%
Another part of town besides mine 5 29.41%
Everywhere is bad, and no place is worse than another 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
On Kauai the major highway doesn't have a median so they accomplish this feat by just moving a bunch of cones mid-day :-)
That would be the island with fewer than 70,000 residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
I live in Old West Austin, and I used to think that it was just my area of town that was bad. Guess what? It's the entire city! It's craptastic. Well, drive far enough north or south (around 40 miles in each direction from the city center, and only then does the traffic assuage).

People look at me funny whenever I tell them that I take public transportation. It's either spend 30 minutes in my car (+10 extra minutes trolling around for parking) or 30 minutes in the bus enjoying my Kindle. Guess which one I'll always choose?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Agree on the bus!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM

261 posts, read 418,206 times
Where the freeway part of 290 ends and on up to the light at Wm Cannon and on out to the Y in Oak Hill is always busy and congested. I don't know that it's the busiest in town in terms of numbers, but it is certainly one of the most congested short stretches of road in the entire Austin metro area.

So many vehicles, so few lanes.

I don't live out that way but I work there and see it first hand 5 days a week.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
There are lots of areas of bad traffic, but I agree that 35 is the worst. I don't live near it, but when I have to drive it to get to an appointment, it is always a mess, and I am always glad to get off. As well as being almost constantly snarled, it is also pretty ugly. At least if you are stuck in backup on MoPac, there are frequently nice views. (And MoPac isn't always stopped, as 35 is.)

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM

102 posts, read 156,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
There are lots of areas of bad traffic, but I agree that 35 is the worst. I don't live near it, but when I have to drive it to get to an appointment, it is always a mess, and I am always glad to get off. As well as being almost constantly snarled, it is also pretty ugly. At least if you are stuck in backup on MoPac, there are frequently nice views. (And MoPac isn't always stopped, as 35 is.)
Good to know the views make it worth sitting in traffic. Which views are you talking about though? The 1/2 mile over the Barton Creek? What about the other 40 miles of Mopac?

another point - the fast-tracked SH45 SW that's getting built. It's going to dump I-35 traffic onto Mopac at Circle C. Get ready for and additonal 30,000 cars per day squeezing on the 2 lane highway through there. Construction could start his year, 2015 at the latest.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post
Good to know the views make it worth sitting in traffic. Which views are you talking about though? The 1/2 mile over the Barton Creek? What about the other 40 miles of Mopac?

another point - the fast-tracked SH45 SW that's getting built. It's going to dump I-35 traffic onto Mopac at Circle C. Get ready for and additonal 30,000 cars per day squeezing on the 2 lane highway through there. Construction could start his year, 2015 at the latest.
Fast-tracked? We moved here in '08 and they had that on the agenda. Guess that IS pretty fast for the south side, given those dangling flyovers that sat for years.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:35 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post
the fast-tracked SH45 SW that's getting built. It's going to dump I-35 traffic onto Mopac at Circle C. Get ready for and additonal 30,000 cars per day squeezing on the 2 lane highway through there. Construction could start his year, 2015 at the latest.
1. SH 45 does not connect to 35. It ends at FM 1826.

2. Traffic studies do not support your claims:

Quote:
Building the long-awaited SH 45 SW road in southern Travis County would not create any additional traffic congestion, according to a traffic modeling study discussed at a Dec. 9 Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization meeting.

Traffic would even improve slightly on Brodie Lane, Manchaca Road and South First Avenue if SH 45 SW were built, Duthie said. This could be because drivers needing to get to MoPac would no longer need to use those roads to access MoPac.

“It’s just a shift in behavior,” she said. “[MoPac] is already at capacity so we’re not seeing more.”

Travis County Commissioner Gerald Daugherty has been advocating for the construction of the road for the past 16 years.

“So the people that live in Circle C that continue to say if you build 45 SW that you will create more traffic north of Slaughter because of people coming off 45 SW, this clearly shows this is not the case,” he said.
The traffic over 45 to Mopac is already going there, so there isn't any increase. All that would change is they would no longer use Slaughter and Brodie to get there.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 PM

102 posts, read 156,696 times
Default 1+1=3

so it's going to reduce traffic on South First, Brodie and Manchaca - but will NOT increase traffic on Mopac? wow! like magic.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
In my experience, Downtown during the rush hours is the worst in town, particularly Guadalupe and MLK. Even on I-35, it at least takes less than 20 minutes to go a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin