Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
I'm going to assume you specialize in higher-end listings.

We are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum here in regards to our opinions of the local market. Don't let it eat you up.
Wrong again.

And it's not a matter of opposing views, or opposite ends of the spectrum. You're simply a fountain of balderdash. What grade are you in anyway?

My profession is real estate. It's important to me. CD is a relocation forum, where people come to share and learn information about Austin and its real estate market. You, being someone with strong, uninformed opinions, generate a lot of false and incorrect information, which isn't helpful - to anyone.

Sure, on subjective topics, including real estate, there is a LOT of room for opinion, guesswork, predictions, and different points of view. No argument there, and we have years of intelligent sometimes heated discussion on the Austin forums which demonstrates that it's a big tent of varying opinion.

But just like if you went into the Math Forums and started spouting bogus formulas or saying you can disproved the theory of relativity, those who study math more seriously than you would call you out, ask you to back up what you're saying and prove it.

Real estate, at the macro level, has some pretty simple and easy "rules of thumb", such as its relationship to job growth, unemployment, and median salaries in the market area. Those rules sometime get violated, or go out of sync, but always return to the mean.

You come on here, obviously knowing nothing about how any of this really works, and ask if Austin's real estate market is about to fall off a cliff. The question itself is a joke, to most of us who know even a smidgeon about anything. But it's a friendly crowd around here and it looks like you stir up the attention you want. Fair enough. It's the internet. But you're not helping anyone when you make bold assertions that are simply false and then spend great effort trying to argue about it.

If you disagree with me, start a poll about yourself.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I don't care WHO you are, that's funny right there!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 11,900 times
The people whose bread and butter depends on selling real estate are exactly the people I would NOT believe. If it's no big deal, then why do R/E agents always get so defensive and touchy regarding bricks and mortar?

The aggression shown towards Kosmonaut seems to be disproportionately applied here. Perhap he's cutting a little too close to the bone?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
The people whose bread and butter depends on selling real estate are exactly the people I would NOT believe. If it's no big deal, then why do R/E agents always get so defensive and touchy regarding bricks and mortar?

The aggression shown towards Kosmonaut seems to be disproportionately applied here. Perhap he's cutting a little too close to the bone?
Oh, puh-leeze.
The interest rates have been ticking up all year and so have the prices. 4.5% is 'extremely low and dangerous' ??? Tell that to the folks who have 2.9 and sold their house for a tidy margin over what they paid just a few years ago.

Yeah, falling off a cliff all right.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banacek View Post

On forums like this it's because misinformation is being spread and then we have to correct those misperceptions of reality in our clients before they can accomplish their goals, whether the misinformation is from Zillow or from someone on a forum like this who hasn't a clue but spreads misinformation anyway. They make our job harder, and even worse, they make it harder for our clients to accomplish their goals. It's not defensive, it's damage control for those to whom we have a duty to provide accurate information. Komeht, on the other hand, has no such duty and thus can say anything he wants whether it bears any relation to reality or not.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

If you disagree with me, start a poll about yourself.

Steve
I did do this maybe 6 months ago, it got deleted by the mods and I got a warning for attacking another user

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Okay, some information about the Texas (including Austin, of course) real estate market from the keepers of the info, a title company.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
On forums like this it's because misinformation is being spread and then we have to correct those misperceptions of reality in our clients before they can accomplish their goals, whether the misinformation is from Zillow or from someone on a forum like this who hasn't a clue but spreads misinformation anyway. They make our job harder, and even worse, they make it harder for our clients to accomplish their goals. It's not defensive, it's damage control for those to whom we have a duty to provide accurate information. Komeht, on the other hand, has no such duty and thus can say anything he wants whether it bears any relation to reality or not.
I'm not incentivized to engage in puffery verging on fiction like some of the realtors are on here (such as statements like "20 minutes door to door Steiner Ranch to Downtown" or "Hutto is a great place to live with lots of upside potential" or "Leander is very walkable").

That's not a defense of the OP who is clearly brain damaged. Again, I'll note that he started the thread by claiming Austin Real Estate was about to fall off the cliff - shortly thereafter, all time high real estate records were broken. The Austin market is sound for the moment. That's not to say there won't be a downward trend as some point in the future, all assets have ups and downs in the market. There's just absolutely no reason to believe anything will derail this train which is largely a result of very limited market supply (mostly due to 5 or 6 years lack of any activity in building market, but also due in large part to some of the most onerous and overly burdensome, costly and prohibitive set of regulations and land use rules in the nation). We reap what we sow and if we don't sow then we don't reap. Good for those of us lucky enough own central Austin real estate, bad for everyone else.

An any case - at a 150 people moving to Austin every day that means at an average of 3 persons per household 50 new houses, apartments or condos need to come on the market every. . single. . .day just to keep up with supply, let alone eat into the increase in market value as the city gets better with each passing day.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I'm not incentivized to engage in puffery verging on fiction like some of the realtors are on here (such as statements like "20 minutes door to door Steiner Ranch to Downtown" or "Hutto is a great place to live with lots of upside potential" or "Leander is very walkable").

That's not a defense of the OP who is clearly brain damaged. Again, I'll note that he started the thread by claiming Austin Real Estate was about to fall off the cliff - shortly thereafter, all time high real estate records were broken. The Austin market is sound for the moment. That's not to say there won't be a downward trend as some point in the future, all assets have ups and downs in the market. There's just absolutely no reason to believe anything will derail this train which is largely a result of very limited market supply (mostly due to 5 or 6 years lack of any activity in building market, but also due in large part to some of the most onerous and overly burdensome, costly and prohibitive set of regulations and land use rules in the nation). We reap what we sow and if we don't sow then we don't reap. Good for those of us lucky enough own central Austin real estate, bad for everyone else.

An any case - at a 150 people moving to Austin every day that means at an average of 3 persons per household 50 new houses, apartments or condos need to come on the market every. . single. . .day just to keep up with supply, let alone eat into the increase in market value as the city gets better with each passing day.
My apologies, I see that I typed Komeht in the post the above is in response to when I meant to write Kosmonaut (the OP).

Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM

PROGRAM!!!!
Get your PROGRAM!!!
Can't tell the players without a PROGRAM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin