U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
 
Location: The Lone Star State
8,030 posts, read 8,344,898 times
Reputation: 5046

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
From what I've heard, your title is correct (in regard to Houston). ;P I've never been, though.
His title was asking a question, not making a statement.
Even so, I'd guess what you "heard" is probably not all accurate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
gdu
 
Location: Austin, Texas
256 posts, read 638,964 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Thanks everyone! All of your posts have been really insightful!

I do legal admin work in patent prosecution. There's not much of that in Louisiana. I think there are many more opportunities to be had in TX. Most of the good jobs in Louisiana are jobs for men who work offshore in the oil industry. I'm female so that's not an option for me.
Not much of that work in Austin. Dallas would be your best bet, but Houston certainly has many more legal jobs than Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, Austin, Texas
3,916 posts, read 5,953,713 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Thanks everyone! All of your posts have been really insightful!

I do legal admin work in patent prosecution. There's not much of that in Louisiana. I think there are many more opportunities to be had in TX. Most of the good jobs in Louisiana are jobs for men who work offshore in the oil industry. I'm female so that's not an option for me.
Don't know if it matters but Dallas is getting the new patent office:

U.S. Patent Office to open branches in Denver, Dallas and Silicon Valley, following new Detroit site - The Federal Eye - The Washington Post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
 
152 posts, read 168,454 times
Reputation: 125
Speaking as a person who grew up in Houston I can say it is no less liberal than Austin. Just due to population volume it has a far bigger gay scene, club scene, arts scene, underground scene, etc.. Austin wears all this a badge of pride. It's just part of life in Houston. It's a true world melting pot and a true metropolitan city. I always say Houstonians are not Texans. they're from all over the world. This is good because it gives the city lots of flavor. That and very little zoning laws. Blends the rich with the poor and the funky/gay with the straight. Dallas thinks it's Houston but it's really just a big Texas city with very little flavor. Austin really stands on it's own because it's the best blend of being a big city and an outdoorsy fun place with the youth(liberal) vibe thrown in. Business is better in Houston and houses are much cheaper than Dallas or Austin so it's much easier to make it starting out. If you would like I can put you in touch with my buddy who is a patent attorney at one of the bigger law firms here in Dallas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
 
34,635 posts, read 19,195,707 times
Reputation: 22179
I think that if you like Austin, you should go directly there. Why be "stuck" somewhere waiting? I think that would be wasted time, IMHO. Austin is a great town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
 
227 posts, read 325,296 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
Speaking as a person who grew up in Houston I can say it is no less liberal than Austin. Just due to population volume it has a far bigger gay scene, club scene, arts scene, underground scene, etc.. Austin wears all this a badge of pride. It's just part of life in Houston. It's a true world melting pot and a true metropolitan city. I always say Houstonians are not Texans. they're from all over the world. This is good because it gives the city lots of flavor. That and very little zoning laws. Blends the rich with the poor and the funky/gay with the straight. Dallas thinks it's Houston but it's really just a big Texas city with very little flavor. Austin really stands on it's own because it's the best blend of being a big city and an outdoorsy fun place with the youth(liberal) vibe thrown in. Business is better in Houston and houses are much cheaper than Dallas or Austin so it's much easier to make it starting out. If you would like I can put you in touch with my buddy who is a patent attorney at one of the bigger law firms here in Dallas.
I think there's a lot of truth to this. I went to college in Houston and later lived there again for 4 years. Houston is a big international city. I think the culture there on average can be a little more shallow and materialistic than Austin, but you'll find that in Austin too, just not as brazen. But if you stick to Montrose/Museum District/Heights areas, etc. it has a lot of the things Austinites assume it doesn't have.

One of my main complaints when I lived there was the psychopathic car culture. I worked at the Med Center, took the bus and on a regular basis would have people trying to run me down in the crosswalk, screaming obscenities, and even throwing things at me. Not making this up, and I'm talking about while crossing on 'walk' and very cautiously. Saw people pull up along bikers and open their doors at them, etc. Truly psychopathic.

But, since that time, Houston has built and expanded light rail, and I get the impression this is changing at least in those areas of town. And in absolute terms the cooler parts of Houston are at least as large as central Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
 
152 posts, read 168,454 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
I think there's a lot of truth to this. I went to college in Houston and later lived there again for 4 years. Houston is a big international city. I think the culture there on average can be a little more shallow and materialistic than Austin, but you'll find that in Austin too, just not as brazen. But if you stick to Montrose/Museum District/Heights areas, etc. it has a lot of the things Austinites assume it doesn't have.

One of my main complaints when I lived there was the psychopathic car culture. I worked at the Med Center, took the bus and on a regular basis would have people trying to run me down in the crosswalk, screaming obscenities, and even throwing things at me. Not making this up, and I'm talking about while crossing on 'walk' and very cautiously. Saw people pull up along bikers and open their doors at them, etc. Truly psychopathic.

But, since that time, Houston has built and expanded light rail, and I get the impression this is changing at least in those areas of town. And in absolute terms the cooler parts of Houston are at least as large as central Austin.
So true. I literally had to take it down about ten notches when I moved to Dallas. I was scaring everyone around here. Houstonians are very aggressive drivers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
 
7,480 posts, read 8,500,971 times
Reputation: 13460
Don't rule out staying in Houston. I think Austin isn't as quirky and liberal as you think it is, and Houston is more quirky and liberal than you think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
 
166 posts, read 410,417 times
Reputation: 89
This is encouraging to here. It's nice to hear there are multiple options. Since you guys brought up traffic, I'm curious, is traffic worse in Houston or in Austin?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 AM
 
166 posts, read 410,417 times
Reputation: 89
It would be great if you could put me in touch with your friend who is a patent attorney. Thanks for offering to do that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top