Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Yes! Move to Austin. San Antonio is at capacity.
At capacity? If you are going to look at it that way, so is Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM

217 posts, read 327,879 times
IF you're Hispanic, you should move to SA - it's the Motherland.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
Nice bigot comment!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM

217 posts, read 327,879 times
I'm Hispanic.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
No offense, but most of the SW USA is the "motherland". Seriously.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 PM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
South Florida and Phoenix are better suited to someone in your situation than Austin and San Antonio.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM

60 posts, read 79,733 times
Hi guys, Thanks for responding, for some reason I have been having issues logging in!
I have been to TX several times and love it!
I do not work from home, but the store where I currently work is going out of business and will be able to, hopefully, transfer stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Having grown up in southern CA I would agree this. Please visit first as they are incredibly different; make sure Texas is you cup of tea. Don't believe those who say Austin is CA without the ocean -- that's laughable.

And you don't mention a job as a concern, OP... do you work from home?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Love this! Thanks! I've heard others say that SA has no areas with art, good to know there are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio:

Drove around some electic areas of SA, yesterday morning:
Pearl Brewery-Awwsome
Southton -Awesome for Art and the Bohemian lifestyle
Art Deco Area-You will think you in old school Cali, the visual are so similar.
Monte Vista and Olmos Park=- Beverly Hills
Alamo Heights=-Brentwood area or St Monica
Fort Sam Houston area- Echo Park
St Paul Square area= Central Avenue- This area is where Joan Crawford was born and raised.

These are just a few areas that are inside the center city area of San Antonio.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Incredibly helpful!!!
yes, it gets hot here and I have no A/C! I am, thankfully, close to the beach right now so it is not bad weather wise, but traffic and parking are a whole different thing. I drove around for 45 minutes the other night to try to park.
I lived right off of Lee Hwy, so that is also tremendously helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Funny. I don't know a single Texan who hasn't been to California.

I and my two kids have all lived in Cali as adults and now live back home in Texas. Daughter was born in and went to college there. Son-in-law is a fifth generation Huntington Beach native, now resident in DFW.

Texas is NOT 180 degrees from California. Vermont, maybe. California, no. The metropolitan areas and their suburbs are functionally identical to their peers, especially in Southern California. Car dependent, with some efforts at mass transit. Endless stretches of SFRs in planned communities. Big box retail clusters. Politicians in those metros are interchangeable. I've always felt that if you had a weirdness continuum, with Santa Cruz on one end, and Cut and Shoot on the other, you would find San Diego and Austin adjacent, right in the middle.

Yes. It is hot in Texas. But once you get five miles inland and away from the Pacific, Southern California is pretty hot as well. Palm Springs? El Centro? Bakersfield? Palmdale? All hot as hell - and all the time, not just summer. Just wait for a Santa Ana and tell me how cool it is - when most folks don't have a/c. Yes. We don't have mountains in the distance, and you can't enjoy a nearby beach with 500,000 of your closest friends packed in like sardines. C'est la vie. They don't have Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, or river tubing. We got first choice.

In many ways, Austin is also comparable to NoVa. Western Fairfax county is interchangeable with the suburbs here. Downtown is comparable to the Rosslyn-Shirlington-Ballston corridor. The areas adjacent to downtown, both n and s, have a same feel as a little more W Falls Church, especially along Lee Hwy.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Of course I have visited. Cost of living (money) is, typically, one of the major reasons that people move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Why are you even considering these areas? Cost of living is your driving motive for leaving California? Have you even bothered to visit or have you simply read articles that say Austin is the new promised land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin