Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

What I find laughable is that there are people who really think that Texas is the only State in the Union with residents who have never left it to visit anywhere else. I'm sure I could find some Californians that have never left California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
If cost of living in Austin impresses you and you aren't counting on an IT job, then there are many other options that are worth looking into.

Tampa Bay?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
He He...pull out of the box and get with the times...that comment is sooo..early 90's!
wrong. lots of health food in portland....& I don't see many Oregon Republicans in DC.

Watch out....Some of us will go early 70s or even early 60s if we feel like it.

Last edited by hound 109; 08-03-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You're stating the obvious here. This thread is a discussion with a wide variety of information. There's no attempt at convincing the OP not to move to Texas however, climate is an important factor to assess/reveal if you're planning on making a long-term move there. I wish I knew/researched this important factor before making a move to Texas. It's not necessarily a negative fact but, it impacts the quality of life positive or negatively (depends on the way you look at it) if you've spent time in SoCal as the weather is something that's taken for granted because it's comfortable and usually a non-issue. In Texas not so much, it's very much a "topic" even among many natives as it can be difficult in my humble opinion to be outdoors June-September ( 6 Summers) without sweltering even in activities that are low energy and I'm athletic and in very good shape. You'd be surprised how many people think that "Central Texas" is a dry climate with no humidity. The humidity also feels differently to me than Florida because of the tremendous heat and no ocean breeze to cool off like the Atlantic in much of the Florida coast. I'm just passing along some personal experience and valid info that shouldn't be overlooked.

S.A. for the River Walk, Alamo Heights and it's cheap but, nothing monumental. Austin for the win hands down!!! By the way I absolutely love Tex-Mex!! OP take it for what it's worth.
Yes it's hot here. You're right, it's valid info that shouldn't be overlooked.

Austin wins "hands down" because why?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
This is a bit laughable..I have met Texans in my short stint there that never left the state, Austin or even traveled to California. They think Los Angeles represents the entire state lol!!.

It's not just the heat man...it's the h-u-m-i-d-i-t-y and combo that's the kicker and it's in the a**!
In my case a deal breaker..comprendes? Ahh..proud Texans gotta love it!
Many (Most?) who post here have lived or traveled thru SoCal extensively. Many of us also have visited or lived in Houston or Atlanta or New Orleans or Orlando or NC or Virginia. Austin's (& SA's) humidity is much lower than these places...especially in the afternoon (when it's hottest). We're hot (& a little humid)....those places are "Africa" hot. (just because socal is dry doesn't mean central texas is "humid"...we're just more humid than socal).

Regarding the "LOLs" & the "this is laughable" comments. Condescending posts that are also kind of inaccurate (that come out of nowhere)..... reminds me of the guy who used to hop into the hot tub & then fart.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
This is a bit laughable..I have met Texans in my short stint there that never left the state, Austin or even traveled to California.
The plural of anecdote isn't data. The isn't unbelievable part is that you met anyone who never left Austin - given the paucity of native Austinites here.

I'm glad you are someplace where you are happier.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM

60 posts, read 79,757 times
Quote:
In many ways native Texans will have a biased opinion. I personally would have wanted to hear from people who had relocated to Texas from another state like California to get a realistic take on the culture and the long hot/humid weather months (although at the time I didn't think it would be) it is indeed a factor if you've lived in SoCal for any length of time. I love the culture, music and proud people from the great state of Texas and it sounds like you "want" to like S.A. Texas so there you have it. Austin is nothing like SoCal so that "hipness" you refer to is very different in both areas. By the way, to me Orange County is way different than San Diego and LA is vastly different from both of the others.
Being from Orange County I know how different cities can be that are very close by. I now live in Long Beach (LA County) which is a completely different place, that is why I figured that native Texans would be the best to hear from.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM

60 posts, read 79,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Many (Most?) who post here have lived or traveled thru SoCal extensively. Many of us also have visited or lived in Houston or Atlanta or New Orleans or Orlando or NC or Virginia. Austin's (& SA's) humidity is much lower than these places...especially in the afternoon (when it's hottest). We're hot (& a little humid)....those places are "Africa" hot. (just because socal is dry doesn't mean central texas is "humid"...we're just more humid than socal).

Regarding the "LOLs" & the "this is laughable" comments. Condescending posts that are also kind of inaccurate (that come out of nowhere)..... reminds me of the guy who used to hop into the hot tub & then fart.
Exactly! Having lived in both NC and VA I have no issue with the humidity!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 AM

129 posts, read 227,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Yes it's hot here. You're right, it's valid info that shouldn't be overlooked.

Austin wins "hands down" because why?
In my opinion:
  • Strong local support for Texas music and it's history, musicians welfare and more support of the arts in general.
  • IMO, there is more character packed in Austin per square mile with a small town feel yet, still a thriving city.
  • Contains a unique variety of restaurants and entertainment packed in a small area that are accessible.
  • UT is central to progressive thinking along with some of it's history containing one of the largest libraries in Latin American studies in the country.
  • High tech companies in the start-up sector that offers internships and graduates many opportunities close by upon graduation.
  • Prettier landscape around 360 and surrounding areas (Lake Travis) more than S.A. in my opinion.
  • Just a prettier metro area (architecture) and less spread out than S.A
  • Hamilton Pool/Barton Springs (Austin) vs Schlitterbahn Waterpark (S.A).
  • South By Southwest (Interactive, Film, Music) conference.
  • Austin City Limits festival and television program/studio.
  • 6th street (bad or good) still unique to Austin.
Just some things that stand out on a local level (Austin) versus a national level (S.A) which makes Austin much more unique and desirable IMO.

OK, OK S.A has the Alamo..

Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 AM

129 posts, read 227,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The plural of anecdote isn't data. The isn't unbelievable part is that you met anyone who never left Austin - given the paucity of native Austinites here.

I'm glad you are someplace where you are happier.
Thank you I am. I meant people that never "moved out"/relocated out of Austin or Texas for any duration to actually make an assessment of what California really is like..seriously, many thought LA and it's landscape is the epitome of California with all of it's concrete, gangs and warts. It was tiresome to hear these misconceptions, needless to say I was surprised but, then many people think ALL of Texas is like west Texas (dry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin