Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
But we're talking unheard of exponential growth. Our population is predicted to double in 50 years given current growth rates, double.
It is logically flawed to project anything so volatile over a period of fifty years.

Been wrong about future global birth rates as well. We hit a peak in about 1960 - been declining since.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM

31 posts, read 43,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
It is logically flawed to project anything so volatile over a period of fifty years.

Been wrong about future global birth rates as well. We hit a peak in about 1960 - been declining since.
You keep posting about logical errors in other people thinking, but you rarely explain the error and when you do, you support your argument with erroneous statistics. The chart you posted was for World population growth , not just birth rates. Population growth can be affected by other factors beside birth rates, including war, famine and disease .

I'm sure birth rates have declined worldwide in the past 50 to 100 years, but they are still way above stable population rates, and will be for some time to come. Couple this with advances in life expectancy and you still will have a considerable population growth rate for some time to come.

Again, if the good people of Austin wanted more population growth and if local population growth is good, then why hasn't that been reflected in higher birth rates for local women?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
Great video. This is what's so insane. I agree that at some point, we will have to limit growth. At the same time, I can't imagine an America where people are limited to the children they can birth or that they can have no more. It seems so wrong. We as humans have a hard time sacrificing for the greater good. What would you choose?
In America we will never have the mandatory birth rates that other more Draconian societies have imposed. In the USA we will have economic segregation where people seen as unfit will be economically deprived and those who are seen as fit, will enjoy fertility colonies in the descendent enclaves of what are today's gated communities. How do you think it will happen ?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Ax View Post
You keep posting about logical errors in other people thinking, but you rarely explain the error and when you do, you support your argument with erroneous statistics. The chart you posted was for World population growth , not just birth rates. Population growth can be affected by other factors beside birth rates, including war, famine and disease .
Uhh, because the chart, and the statement, referred to the original premise - world population growth rates over long periods of time. Sorry I was making too much sense for you.

You can level with us. This whole "fertility colonies" thing sounds just like Alex Jones. That's your real life name, right?

Last edited by scm53; 07-15-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:

You clearly tried to pass this chart off as a chart showing birth rates that may or may not have peaked in 1960. I'm sure there are charts that would have backed your position to some degree, but I'm afraid your laziness got the best of you.

Quote:
Uhh, because the chart, and the statement, referred to the original premise - world population growth rates over long periods of time. Sorry I was making too much sense for you.

You can level with us. This whole "fertility colonies" thing sounds just like Alex Jones. That's your real life name, right?
I don't know Alex Jones views enough to know that he may have said something similar. If you take the statements literally they would sound over the top, but I'm sure most people understood that to be a exaggerated analogie to make a point. Price is more and more dictating who is having children with societies blessing, and those that are acting irresponsibly by having children they cannot afford. In the future I'm sure price will play an even bigger role in either encouraging or discouraging fertility.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Ax View Post
You clearly tried to pass this chart off as a chart showing birth rates that may or may not have peaked in 1960. I'm sure there are charts that would have backed your position to some degree, but I'm afraid your laziness got the best of you.
Sorry you can't follow two thoughts at one time, Alex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin