Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is. It used to be off Dry Creek road and 2222, but now it's on Burnet. The Pit Barbeque

Kinky Friedman chose The Pit (old location) for his interview in this film -
"Barbecue: A Texas Love Story" documentary film official site

I ate a few times at the old location; it was good, but not mindblowing. Never have been to the location on Burnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM

13 posts, read 31,883 times
Smokey Mo's if you are staying close to Austin It's very good I mean everything on the menu.
If you want to drive a few miles Coopers in Llano is very very good. My personal favorite is South Side in Elgin it is Wonderful !

Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM

13 posts, read 40,665 times
Default What about Sam's?

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Sam's on the eastside. When I lived in Austin a decade ago, this was where we went when out slummin. Not the world's greatest cue, but not bad, and definitely a different crowd/vibe. A cop I knew said he'd never ever eat in there b/c they'd spit in his food for sure if they knew he was a cop. Dont know whether Sam's is still in business.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

132 posts, read 496,938 times
The Cele Country Store and Salt Lick 360 are not closed. Salt Lick opened a new store in Round Rock near the Dell Diamond on the way to Hutto.

Re sauce: I don't particular care for any sauces as a way to score BBQ. I'm in it for the meat!

I really like Rudy's b/c of their consistent quality and flavor, the ability to buy as little or as much meat as you want (v. buying a plate and two sides,) their locations, and their sweet tea. I think Rudy's is the best value. I like their lean brisket end cut...with all the spices in it.

Re County Line: I've never had bad BBQ there. Certainly some of it is the atmosphere, but the BBQ sampler appetizer can't be beat. And the loaf of whole wheat bread rocks!

House Park BBQ used to be good stuff, too. I say "used to" b/c I haven't been there in many years and am not sure if they're still open.

Meyer's in Elgin is the better sausage, but Southside in Elgin has better overall BBQ, IMO.

Just had Cooper's in Llano last weekend, and the chicken ROCKED! The BBQ was too fatty for my taste.

D

Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,208 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb and admit that Bill Miller sausage is some of the best I've had. Most will take that as blasphemy but that's my opinion take it or leave it.

I love Kreuz in Lockhart for their brisket.

Chisholm Trail in Lockhart also has great BBQ. Black's has great BBQ chicken, but I found their brisket to be a bit too fatty and their sausage tasteless.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
but I found their brisket to be a bit too fatty and their sausage tasteless.

See here is the problem, some people dont know that brisket is supposed to be fatty. That is the whole point. So when people say xyz bbq is the best it is hard to trust 'em.

Rudys lean is really california brisket, you might as well be eating carrots

Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 111,100 times
Default Green Mesquite?

Anyone like this one? It was on the food channel the other night, and I'm not familiar with it.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeshoelace View Post
Anyone like this one? It was on the food channel the other night, and I'm not familiar with it.
I was about to ask the same question. I saw it on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" last night and was curious about it. The website along with what I saw last night make it look very interesting, esp. with the live music.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Green Mesquite is pretty good, and would qualify as an Austin "institution". I'd say the food is about the level of County Line, but more casual and it's got a fun location on Barton Springs Rd. Lots of things on the menu. Local, not too expensive. Worth a visit for sure, especially when there is live music.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
We used to get the catfish at Green Mesquite...though its been awhile since we've been there. At the time, it was the best catfish in town : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin