Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 28,892 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the great information!! Would you say that Austins nightlife is dominated by guys "sausage fest" or are there an equal number of girl to guy ratios????

Nightlife is one of the main reasons I want to relocate to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,953,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1989 View Post
Thanks so much for all the great information!! Would you say that Austins nightlife is dominated by guys "sausage fest" or are there an equal number of girl to guy ratios????

You're relocating for all the right reasons. The rest of male America has yet to hear of Austin!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,835,400 times
Quote:

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...tin-Texas.html

Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM

One last question about nightlife? Out of the 3 streets 1. South Congress 2. Red river and 3. The warehouse district which is the most lively of the 3 ??

Old 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,725,018 times
3. Sixth St. (3 areas: Dirty Sixth, West Sixth, Eastside Sixth)

Please temper your expectations. Texas is not the northeast. In fact, quite the opposite. In my experience, northeasterners seem to have the worst problem adjusting to real Texans, to conservative attitudes, lack of major inter-city transit and especially, to the heat!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM

59 posts, read 115,690 times
Quote:
One last question about nightlife? Out of the 3 streets 1. South Congress 2. Red river and 3. The warehouse district which is the most lively of the 3 ??
Someone suggest you should come down here and visit, and get an impression.

I highly recommend that you do this before you decide to move.

Come soon so you can enjoy the weather, we get 4 month of weather like we have currently, which is to say near or above 100 during the day and 90's to high 80's at night when you go out.

I would say Austin is "sausage fest" country in your age range (unless you like to date cougars), but I am outside of the age range where that matters. There are a lot of pretty young ladies here, and an even higher number of guys.

I spent a week down here back in 2000 before I decided to move. I got a taste of the heat, a taste of what 6th street is like (haven't been back more than once a year since), and got a good impression of what the growth has done to the city since (not good in my personal opinion - a lot of the charm that Austin is still building it's reputation on is lost, and everything is crowded now). Get a cheap flight and find a low cost downtown accommodation and spend a week down here before you make a life changing decision and move to a city where you know no one. Especially one that grows as rapidly as Austin.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM

I am going to take a trip down to Austin in a few weeks! The two city's I find the most interesting from research are Austin and Ft Worth. How does Ft Worths Nightlife, economy and cost of living compare to Austin??

Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Ft Worth has a highly underrated nightlife scene - albeit a bit different than the vibe in Austin. Not quite as much of an attraction, but fairly decent, although, your live music options might skew a little bit more towards the hard core and country, versus the singer/songwriter/altrock Austin scene. Sadly, the Ridglea theater in Ft Worth, once a veritable bastion of heavy metal culture and lore is reincarnated as a "vintage" corporate theater - let's hope they don't take down the Pantera signatures and photos.

Ft Worth has a decent little art scene as well, and the stockyards and Camp Bowie area can pop off every now and then. Proximity to "big" venues gives you some easier access to national touring acts if that's your scene as well.

Pro Sports? Arlington is right there, and the NHL/NBA is close.

College Sports? Eh, TCU? UNT? UT is better.

Cost of living? Ft Worth will win that battle every time. $1200 can get you a serious

Economy? That REALLY depends on the market you're looking at, and may likely involve traveling some of the worst routes in Texas (183/121/20/30/820), while heavily relying on toll roads.

ETA: Went back and saw the car sales piece. You'll be working off hours, TONS of dealerships from Bentley to Kia. Tons of sales jobs if you're good. Hope you like selling trucks, my friend.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

EZPeterson thanks for the replie, yes love to sell trucks! Would you say Ft Worth has a bigger selection of car dealerships than Austin? Also from what I have read Ft Worth seems to be less humid than Austin in the summer is that true as well? How is the singles scene in Ft Worth? Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 PM

How far is university of texas from 6th street??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin