Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 12,157 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We've been renting for the last year here and are ready to pull the trigger on a new home in Pflugerville. Specifically, the Reserve at Westcreek neighborhood, on Kelly Ln, past Falcon Pointe.

Due to some financial problems in the past, we’ll be calling in some favors and pulling some strings to make the financing work, so I want to make sure things won’t turn sour on me as they did in the Las Vegas housing collapse.

The neighborhood is on the outskirts of north Pville, but the sales reps have all assured me there area is continuing to be developed and good schools and infrastructure improvements are underway.

So would this be a fairly safe move? If we were to sell in 3-5 years, would I be able to at least break even on the property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
If you're planning on moving in 3-5 years don't buy. There is little chance of appreciation in that area, always the potential for the economy to slip back into recession and you'll never overcome the friction of the transaction costs.

However, I wouldn't expect a Vegas style housing collapse for the simple reason that there hasn't been a Vegas style housing bubble in that area.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM

217 posts, read 328,118 times

Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Pflugerville is zip code 78660.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 12,157 times
Yeah, looks likes it's been pretty steady over the years...

Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane1234 View Post
Hello all!

We've been renting for the last year here and are ready to pull the trigger on a new home in Pflugerville. Specifically, the Reserve at Westcreek neighborhood, on Kelly Ln, past Falcon Pointe.

Due to some financial problems in the past, we’ll be calling in some favors and pulling some strings to make the financing work, so I want to make sure things won’t turn sour on me as they did in the Las Vegas housing collapse.

The neighborhood is on the outskirts of north Pville, but the sales reps have all assured me there area is continuing to be developed and good schools and infrastructure improvements are underway.

So would this be a fairly safe move? If we were to sell in 3-5 years, would I be able to at least break even on the property?
As someone who lives in the area and has witnessed the feeding frenzy, the market in N and NE Pflugerville (for sellers at least) is very hot at the moment. People are getting what they're asking, and there are more and more homes being listed for over 300k. Homes that are below 250 are selling in under the month, according to the local paper.

Listen, you are not gonna make money on any home in Pflugerville or much of Austin for that matter. I made a boatload of money selling my condo in NYC, but I'm wise enough to understand that that won't happen here. Anywhere. The only people who are gonna see that appreciation are those that purchased when it was beans and are selling high. Most people will experience the following: market up, down, flat, up...get the picture? Since you are buying new construction, you may or may not be overpaying. But considering the market we're in now, many many buyers are overpaying. If you're paying 300k in many Austin neighborhoods, it's not gonna spiral ever upwards. The one thing I can agree with Komeht is that you won't experience the Florida/Nevada decline because values here aren't artificially inflated.

You buy a home because that is what you like. If you like the house, the location, and the amenities (and there are a lot), and it fits within your budget, go for it. Our home value goes up and down all of the time and we don't give a flip because we like our home, we have a nice affordable mortgage (translation: we have more take home money), and we like where we live. That area has low crime, the better schools of Pflugerville, and great amenities.

Do your own due diligence, and go with what is good for you, but I don't think that worry about home value applies here.

BTW, the area is rapidly growing for a reason.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane1234 View Post
Hello all!

The economic forecasts I use are forecasting a recession in 2019 (softening in 2014). Obviously YMMV, but in any case I wouldnt buy a house if I knew I was moving in 3-5 years.

I would rent a house and try to get a longer term lease.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM

I agree with Austin 97. You could rent it out, but that's a PITA. A home is a long term investment.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As someone who lives in the area and has witnessed the feeding frenzy, the market in N and NE Pflugerville (for sellers at least) is very hot at the moment. People are getting what they're asking, and there are more and more homes being listed for over 300k. Homes that are below 250 are selling in under the month, according to the local paper.

Listen, you are not gonna make money on any home in Pflugerville or much of Austin for that matter. I made a boatload of money selling my condo in NYC, but I'm wise enough to understand that that won't happen here. Anywhere. The only people who are gonna see that appreciation are those that purchased when it was beans and are selling high. Most people will experience the following: market up, down, flat, up...get the picture? Since you are buying new construction, you may or may not be overpaying. But considering the market we're in now, many many buyers are overpaying. If you're paying 300k in many Austin neighborhoods, it's not gonna spiral ever upwards. The one thing I can agree with Komeht is that you won't experience the Florida/Nevada decline because values here aren't artificially inflated.

You buy a home because that is what you like. If you like the house, the location, and the amenities (and there are a lot), and it fits within your budget, go for it. Our home value goes up and down all of the time and we don't give a flip because we like our home, we have a nice affordable mortgage (translation: we have more take home money), and we like where we live. That area has low crime, the better schools of Pflugerville, and great amenities.

Do your own due diligence, and go with what is good for you, but I don't think that worry about home value applies here.

BTW, the area is rapidly growing for a reason.

Don't know about that. I bought an Austin home in 2000 for $92k and sold it nine years later for $150k. Problem with most suburban single families and condos anywhere is your chances for appreciation are small.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 157,283 times
I can't speak for Pflugerville, but my daughter and I have homes in Georgetown and things are crazy here. There is hardly anything to buy and when something goes up it's gone in 48 hours and folks are getting way beyond what they would normally ask for price wise. My house in Sun City has gone up $20,000 in 2 years and they are gone in 24 hours. A friend in Berry Creek sold their home for $50,000 more than what they had it up for last year when they decided not to sell and pulled it off the market. It sold last week the day after listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin