Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM

116 posts, read 361,011 times

Advertisements

My husband sold his jet ski exactly 1 week ago via a private sale (we aren't dealers) and today the buyer calls saying that it doesn't run for more than 5 seconds on the lake and he wants his money back. We have a generic watercraft bill of sale that both he and my husband signed that states various info but most importantly in this case that the boat was sold "as is" with no warranty.

The buyer is threatening to take us to a small claims court and says he'll get us for the money that he has into it "and then some". He's claiming there's a 30 day buyer's remorse law in Texas.

We were very upfront with the condition of the boat. We told him that we hadn't had it out on the lake in several years but last time it was out it ran just fine. The buyer started it up before he bought it and decided he was satisfied.

We told him that we can't give him any money back and ended the conversation.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know any info? Obviously I don't think he has a case, but I could be wrong. Plus, he knows where we live which is kind of freaking me out.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by tickledpink; 07-28-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickledpink View Post
My husband sold his jet ski exactly 1 week ago via a private sale (we aren't dealers) and today the buyer calls saying that it doesn't run for more than 5 seconds on the lake and he wants his money back. We have a generic watercraft bill of sale that both he and my husband signed that states various info but most importantly in this case that the boat was sold "as is" with no warranty.

The buyer is threatening to take us to a small claims court and says he'll get us for the money that he has into it "and then some". He's claiming there's a 30 day buyer's remorse law in Texas.

We were very upfront with the condition of the boat. We told him that we hadn't had it out on the lake in several years but last time it was out it ran just fine. The buyer started it up before be bought it and decided he was satisfied.

We told him that we can't give him any money back and ended the conversation.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know any info? Obviously I don't think he has a case, but I could be wrong. Plus, he knows where we live which is kind of freaking me out.

Thanks for any info!

#1 - Texas Lemon Law doesn't cover watercraft

#2 - doesn't cover anything out of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Tell him to have at it.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,037,085 times
buyer probably just needs to get it serviced.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,424,886 times
If it ran fine, then sat for two years, and now won't run for long - change the plugs, gas, oil, etc and it will likely be fine.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,099,449 times
ugh, good luck. Sounds like he should have had someone with mechanical experience look at it prior to purchasing it if they are this in experienced.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM

116 posts, read 361,011 times
Thanks, all. I didn't think he really had a case for taking us to court. The thing is, we really have no way of knowing that something didn't happen while he had it for a week! Even if it wasn't in working order before it left our possession, we had no idea of this and the boat was clearly sold "as is". It's a bad situation and I do feel bad that the buyer feels cheated, but it is what it is.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,831,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
#1 - Texas Lemon Law doesn't cover watercraft

#2 - doesn't cover anything out of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Tell him to have at it.
From the brochure:

Quote:
The Lemon Law applies to new vehicles (including cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, motor homes, towable recreational vehicles (TRVs) and neighborhood electric vehicles) purchased or leased from a Texas licensed dealer or lessor that develop problems covered by a written factory warranty. Demonstrator vehicles are also considered new vehicles.

The law does not cover used motor vehicles (including program vehicles), repossessed vehicles, non-travel trailers, boats, or farm equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin