Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,469 times

Advertisements

You forgot to add in the transportation category Austin's text book example of how transit planners have been saying for DECADES NOT to build public transit: Capitol Metro Red Line a commuter train promoted by Capital Metro as if it were a Metro line. The problem is that the Red Line does NOT serve a demand or travel a route most used by commuters, but instead was built on the cheap (well, it still went humungously over budget and completed construction massively behind schedule) to operate on existing right-of-way instead of a route that people would actually use to get to work and back often as an alternative to a congested highway. And there is the Capitol Metro's recent controversial rate hike that one can only wonder was really implemented to make-up for those very empty trains on their Red Line as Capital Metro was facing a dire economic situation without the rare hike. Capital Metro seems to be more enamored with light rail as the future rail transport in Austin. We shall see how it turns out.

While CA folks may not be near the majority of people moving to Austin, there is a perception of that only because Austin happens to be the "IT" city (my word, the XGames a comin' to Austin next year) as was Portland (another city its locals claim is over-hyped and don't have kind things to say about that city's often cited supposedly superior mass transit system of light rail) and Seattle before that. The media just likes to find a city that appeals to them and starts hyping the place to no end just to fill space on the pages. All those writers the publishers pay for need to write something on occasion, and it isn't always easy to find something to write about every day, but do that or lose a job.

While Charlotte South Carolina has been a recent darling, lately, I can't wait for the publishers to announce to us what the next "IT" city will be that supposed have New Yorker and Angelenos packing their bags to move their. Meanwhile New York and Los Angeles carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I had heard that a lot of people from ca move to Austin but perhaps that is not true

This article claims la county isn't even in the top five
I would point out that your limited knowledge of "Austin" prevents you from noticing that three of the counties on that list are already in the Austin MSA - just internal swaps. Take those out, and LA county is third, and the #1 from outside the state. For 2010 alone, the MSA numbers are:

From Los Angeles County (Los Angeles), Calif. to Travis County (Austin), Texas
Number of people: 850
From Los Angeles County (Los Angeles), Calif. to Williamson County (Round Rock), Texas
Number of people: 277
From Los Angeles County (Los Angeles), Calif. to Hays County (San Marcos), Texas
Number of people: 43

Other counties in California also show large migrations to Austin in 2010 - San Diego - 269, Alameda - 211. In fact, in 2010, only one county in the entire state had a net gain from Austin - Monterey. They sent 17, with a per capita income of $53,000 and got 31, with a income of $14,900. Good deal for us here in Texas!

So, yes. Large numbers of Californians are moving here. Like the family across the street, and my fifth generation Huntington Beach son-in-law, quite happy, with no intention of ever going back.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
While Charlotte South Carolina has been a recent darling,
Uhhh, could you point out Charlotte on a South Carolina map for us? Please?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Seriously?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Charlotte South Carolina
LOL, I hope that is just a typo or brain short, but reading it is like nails on a blackboard. Like saying Boston, Connecticut or Miami, Georgia .

Didn't read all the original post, but yep, this is a terrible place. In case it wasn't mentioned, also too hot and mosquitos and tornadoes.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The Charlotte metro/MSA extends into South Carlolina. I know, not actually what he meant, but still.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
And there is the Capitol Metro's recent controversial rate hike that one can only wonder was really implemented to make-up for those very empty trains on their Red Line as Capital Metro was facing a dire economic situation without the rare hike.

The Red Line trains are incredibly crowded. The rate hike is CapMetro making up from not raising fares for like 20 years.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The Charlotte metro/MSA extends into South Carlolina. I know, not actually what he meant, but still.
My point was, that was about as ignorant, inaccurate, and uninformed as the rest of what he wrote - as you went on to point out about Metro Rail.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The part about the infidelity is so true lol! But that is largely a Southern thing. People get hitched and are forced to settle down at such a young age that when those women hit 40-50 they are unhinged! A lot of them are bored, deal with spousal abuse or are want a divorce but are too afraid to be alone and financially unstable.

Texas though I've heard takes the cake on that. A lot of my friends who visisted say they hooked up with more older hitched or recently divorced women than young women.

But yeah it's that rather repressive family values stuff they shove down people's throats that women feel compelled to settle down earlier in life and then realize their mistakes in life later. They go on a cheating spree.
Oh there's plenty of cheating going on in California too.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Austin is full of CA transplants. And NYC, and Houston, and everywhere. Very few local austinites
That is patently false! I guess some people see native Austinites as scenery, not people. Wow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin