Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times

Advertisements

That's a new one - SA a boring little city! Wow. And go Castro twins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM

519 posts, read 777,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Are you saying San Antonio is conservative or Texas? Cause I think the Castro brothers will say otherwise about San Antonio. But, what do the progressive voters who elected these progressive officials know.
San Antonio is easily the most conservative of the "big" cities in Texas. I'd wager its worse than the big suburbs around Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
San Antonio is easily the most conservative of the "big" cities in Texas. I'd wager its worse than the big suburbs around Dallas and Fort Worth.
How much are you willing to wager? Because I'd be happy to take your money

2012 General Election
Bexar County
Obama/Biden 51%
Romney/Ryan 47%

Senate
Cruz 46%
Sadler 51%

Collin County
Obama/Biden 33%
Romney/Ryan 65%

Senate
Cruz 64%
Sadler 33%

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
i dont know why no one has brought this up

combined 60k now in LA. wanting to move to Austin and keep the same income while paying for grad school at UT and "having a nice car, trip to the lake." that income won't get you that in Austin or Houston without some sacrifices

your fiance may have a harder time finding similar work in texas than you would. you didnt say anything about her background, but unless she has a degree (i.e. special education, child development, social work) she will be earning minimum wage. if she has a degree in one of the above id strongly suggest she attend grad school for a masters.

i did similar work and got minimum wage for it. i know have a masters and dont earn that much more

Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
How much are you willing to wager? Because I'd be happy to take your money

2012 General Election
Bexar County
Obama/Biden 51%
Romney/Ryan 47%

Senate
Cruz 46%
Sadler 51%

Collin County
Obama/Biden 33%
Romney/Ryan 65%

Senate
Cruz 64%
Sadler 33%
Every city votes Democratic, and of course a largely Hispanic city votes Dem after Republicans have spent decades alienating them. Doesn't mean they're not conservative. The slim margin of 51 to 47% is surprising... San Antonio is actually way more conservative than I thought.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Every city votes Democratic, and of course a largely Hispanic city votes Dem after Republicans have spent decades alienating them.
Shows how little you understand Texas, Republicans, and Hispanics. GWB and Rick Perry both drew over 40% Hispanic support in their gubernatorial races. The only statewide Hispanic officials - including Senator Ted Cruz - are Republicans.

That's because Texas Republicans have always taken a different stance from national Republicans. When a Republican rep introduced an Arizona style anti-immigrant bill in 2010, Perry said he would veto it, and it went nowhere. Remember how much heat Perry took in the Republican debates over Texas' policy of granting in-state tuition to the children of undocumented workers?

Arturo Vargas, the executive director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials - an organization that hosted both presidential candidates as speakers at their conference in 2012 - said that in contrast to many corners of the GOP, Texas Republicans have been “strategic” in their approach to Hispanic voters:

Quote:
They’ve been more strategic in trying to identify leaders, messengers that can reach out to Hispanics in Texas. What is probably the most significant thing is that they are not wringing their hands about what do they do, given how badly the Republican Party did in this election with Latinos. They’re looking toward the future with the understanding that unless they bring Latinos into the party, they become a minority party.
Anyone - including much of the national media - makes a mistake trying to apply the national Republican mask to Texas. We don't have a Pete Wilson in our past. And that's why, despite all the magazine covers and fawning articles, you will see Hispanic George P. Bush in statewide office before either of the Castro brothers.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Shows how little you understand Texas, Republicans, and Hispanics. GWB and Rick Perry both drew over 40% Hispanic support in their gubernatorial races. The only statewide Hispanic officials - including Senator Ted Cruz - are Republicans.

That's because Texas Republicans have always taken a different stance from national Republicans. When a Republican rep introduced an Arizona style anti-immigrant bill in 2010, Perry said he would veto it, and it went nowhere. Remember how much heat Perry took in the Republican debates over Texas' policy of granting in-state tuition to the children of undocumented workers?

Arturo Vargas, the executive director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials - an organization that hosted both presidential candidates as speakers at their conference in 2012 - said that in contrast to many corners of the GOP, Texas Republicans have been “strategic” in their approach to Hispanic voters:

Anyone - including much of the national media - makes a mistake trying to apply the national Republican mask to Texas. We don't have a Pete Wilson in our past. And that's why, despite all the magazine covers and fawning articles, you will see Hispanic George P. Bush in statewide office before either of the Castro brothers.
And I'm the one saying San Antonio is conservative. So what exactly does Texas Republicans' stance on illegal immigration have to do with the presidential election? Btw didn't Perry attack Bill White over the sanctuary city thing?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Worse?

Fiscal Conservatism at a local level is a bad thing?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

There is also San Antonio which I wouldn't mind but it seems like such a boring little city. On the plus it's cheap and offers some of the same natural landscape as Austin. Plus UTSA offers City Planning.
Everybody has a right to their opinion, but San Antonio is anything but a "boring little city." The uber-desirable areas aren't cheap, either. Have you really visited San Antonio to make such an assumption?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I'd advise you to take a good look at UT San Antonio. I did my two years of graduate work there and loved every minute of living there. The main campus is on the north edge of the metro area with plenty of apartment complexes in the area. Weather is not as humid as it is further east and south, but it's still steamy at times. The main campus is relatively new and well air conditioned.

And I lived in Austin for ten years too, so I have a good basis for comparison. Paraphrasing a well-known Texas song: Happiness was seeing Austin in my rear-view mirror...

But unlike Mac Davis, I'd never ever consider returning there to live! I would live in San Antonio again, if for some reason I chose to move back to my native state.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin