Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
BTW - anyone who thinks Houston's weather isn't more miserable because "it's only five or ten percent worse" can't appreciate the difference between 95 and 100 or 105.
Today the high in Austin is 105, and the high in Houston is 93, according to justweather.com.
Current heat index in Austin is 108. In Houston, 103.
And this difference is not all that unusual.

But, keep arguing if you must. I think we all know you just don't like Houston. Or suburbs. And probably lots more we don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Today the high in Austin is 105, and the high in Houston is 93, according to justweather.com.
Current heat index in Austin is 108. In Houston, 103.
And this difference is not all that unusual.

But, keep arguing if you must. I think we all know you just don't like Houston. Or suburbs. And probably lots more we don't know about.
You picked a single data point. Well, golly, I guess we can extrapolate to covering day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year from that single data point and feel comfortable in our knowledge that you must certainly be correct, not withstanding all the countless empirical observations and data to the contrary. You must be a top knotch climatologist sir, maybe one of the very best graduates A&M has ever had.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
^You just don't stop do you?
Now it's to insults. And there are others in the thread using single data point examples. But, those aren't a problem?

Go back and look at the Sperling list on pg 4 of the thread.

On the index, THERE'S ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE AMONG THE MAJOR TEXAS CITIES. FACT.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
THERE'S ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE AMONG THE MAJOR TEXAS CITIES. FACT
Yeah.....but which city has more feral hogs???

Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^You just don't stop do you?
Now it's to insults. And there are others in the thread using single data point examples. But, those aren't a problem?

Go back and look at the Sperling list on pg 4 of the thread.

On the index, THERE'S ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE AMONG THE MAJOR TEXAS CITIES. FACT.
This isn't mindless Houston bashing. You want to argue Houston has better restaurants a cooler art scene, superior architecture, go right ahead, you won't get are argument from me. But weather? No sir, I will not cede this point.

It blows. And on the rare occasion there is a summer dry front (from Austin's direction natch) and the humidity dips from the steam bath to merely dank, and you think it's safe to go outside for a cold beer - there is an army of mosquitos the size of volkswagens ready to suck you dry.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I live in Houston but have spent the last two weekends in Austin.

Maybe my skin is too thick or I have poor humidity glands, but I could NOT tell the difference in weather other than the fact it was raining when I returned to Houston yesterday.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Komeht, how long again, did you live in Houston?

Or were some of these talking points just picked up from the Dallas Olympic hopeful committee?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM

99 posts, read 163,566 times
Wow, this is like the two proverbial bald men fighting over a comb.

They are both intolerable infernos in the summer.... end of.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
There are a lot of reasons one might favor Houston over Austin (better selection of food/restaurants, superior art scene, economic opportunities/jobs, etc.), but weather is not one of them.

Tom Wolfe described Houston like this in The Right Stuff:

"For eight months Houston was an unbelievably torrid effluvial sump with a mass of mushy asphalt, known as Downtown, set in the middle. Then for two months, starting in November, the most amazing winds came sweeping down from Canada, as if down a pipe, and the humid torpor turned into a wet chill. The remaining two months were the moderate ones, although not exactly what you would call spring. The clouds closed in like a lid, and the oil refineries over by Galveston Bay saturated the air, the nose, the lungs, the heart, and the soul with the gassy smell of oil funk. There were bays, canals, lakes, lagoons, bayous everywhere, all of them so greasy and toxic that if you trailed your hand in the water off the back of your rowboat you would lose a knuckle. The fishermen used to like to tell the weekenders: "Don't smoke out there or you'll set the bay on fire. " All the poisonous snakes known to North America were in residence there: rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths, and corals."

I would say that's pretty much dead on balls accurate from my experience. Though Houston's asphalt is definitely of a higher quality today.
Wolfe got it backwards, for 8 months out of the year Houston weather is "excellent". It is not really until June that the heat of the days yield little to the heat of the night. That weather last for 3 to 4 months then starts its gradual cool off in Autumn. You also have to remember that the past several years have been record hot years, with below normal rainfall. If we could ever get what is supposedly average weather conditions back, we will find that Houston summers are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Austin may be slightly better in the summer,(just for argument sake), but will give any advantage back come winter

Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
This whole thread is based on a false premise: that someone's opinion about weather can be a lie. Any statement that something is "better" is an opinion. Lies are about facts. Saying anything is better than anything else may be based in facts (weather data,) but the conclusion of "better" is an opinion. It is useless to argue over opinions because you can't prove anyone wrong; opinions are value judgements, and people have differing values. The whole thread is being maintained by folks who just like to argue. No one will ever be proven "right," and no amount of data can prove that something is "better." But if that's what you like, go at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin