Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,152,316 times

Advertisements

Looking for a nice, family-friendly community (our kids are 9, 11 & 12) in DS. We're relocating to DS from out of state and don't know a soul, so we're looking for a community where we can all make friends quickly.

Have been looking mostly at Belterra, High Point, and Sawyer Ranch, and just recently stumbled across the Polo Club, but couldn't find much recent info. here on the forums regarding the community.

Appreciate any thoughts/input you might have--thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 PM

217 posts, read 326,410 times
Coming from out of state, don't know anyone there, and don't know anything about it except for the internet, but you're moving there? Doesn't compute. Ahh, the power of the Internet.

I would rent for a year before buying anything, unless someone sold you on DS, and forgot to mention that you will need to dig/maintain a 500ft deep water well in the driest part of central Texas, while we slowly turn into a desert. I would look in town, and give yourself time before jumping on something trendy. If your job is not out in Hays, your in for a brutal commute.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Contrary to what Kosmonaut said, the main part of the Polo Club is on LCRA water, not well water. There is a section that requires private wells. You'd want to check when looking at a property to purchase. We have just had the worst drought in 100 years a couple of years ago, and drought is a way of life in Texas, so that point is well made.

The Polo Club is a gated equestrian community, so somewhat different from the other options you mentioned.

Why are you moving here? Are you moving specifically to Dripping Springs, or to the Austin area and have zeroed in on Dripping Springs?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Ex-wife just bought in DS, so I'm moving there too. Don't need to know much about DS except that I'll buy there ASAP--just need to focus on best fit community for us.

Since we share custody, it's important to minimize disruptions for our kids, so I need to buy in same school district. Will work from home, but would prefer to be on the NE side of DS (Polo Club, Belterra, etc.) for weekend access to downtown and the airport (I travel 2-3x per month on biz).

I get that Belterra/High Point are large, master-planned communities with smallish (1/4-1/3 acre) lots, and that Sawyer Ranch and Polo Club are more custom on larger (1+) lots. I can see the amenities for all these communities on line and plan to visit DS some time in Sep.

What I'm looking for is info, keen insights, opinions, etc. that I can't research online. For example, you might suggest that the average house is 5k sq ft and $800k in the Polo Club and unless I drive a BMW or Range Rover, I might not like it, or whatever (I'm obviously making this stuff up).

Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Well, the fact that Polo Club is an equestrian community is pertinent if you're the kind of person who might move into such and then object because there are HORSES around and they SMELL and they get in the way when you're driving down the street and why doesn't the HOA get RID of them! (Yes, people have done that at Polo Club and, guess what, they have a hard time fitting in for some reason! That's not something you're likely to find out on their website - it's just word of mouth on the horsey grapevine.)

If you're not that kind of person and are perfectly comfortable with people having barns and horses on their 1-1/2 acre lots or sharing the roads with them, or even like living around them or your kids would just love for you to have one they could ride or neighbors with one they could ride, Polo Club would be a good choice.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,238,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Ex-wife just bought in DS, so I'm moving there too. Don't need to know much about DS except that I'll buy there ASAP--just need to focus on best fit community for us.

Since we share custody, it's important to minimize disruptions for our kids, so I need to buy in same school district. Will work from home, but would prefer to be on the NE side of DS (Polo Club, Belterra, etc.) for weekend access to downtown and the airport (I travel 2-3x per month on biz).

I get that Belterra/High Point are large, master-planned communities with smallish (1/4-1/3 acre) lots, and that Sawyer Ranch and Polo Club are more custom on larger (1+) lots. I can see the amenities for all these communities on line and plan to visit DS some time in Sep.

What I'm looking for is info, keen insights, opinions, etc. that I can't research online. For example, you might suggest that the average house is 5k sq ft and $800k in the Polo Club and unless I drive a BMW or Range Rover, I might not like it, or whatever (I'm obviously making this stuff up).
Interested in where your ex bought. Reason is, you probably need to be in the same elementary zone. If she bought in Belterra, and you are N of 290, then you are in DS Elem and she's in Rooster Springs. That is important if you want the kids to ride the bus to and from home, no matter whose week it is. If she is in the Rooster Springs zone, the you need to be in Belterra or Reunion Ranch.

Big thing to think about. Also, easier path to the airport - Nutty Brown to 1826, up to 45/Mopac, and freeway all the way to the airport. MUCH faster than going through the Y in Oak Hill.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks SCM, but the 11 & 12 year olds are ours, so they're going to the middle school (the 9 year old is my gfriend's). Ex bought 10 acres way up on Bell Springs.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 570,197 times
The Polo Club is nice. There are sections that have small lots like a traditional neighborhood would have. My daughter has friends that live in there. Everyone seems nice. There are some really big houses in there on acreage. I couldn't compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin