Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times

Advertisements

So, who's been? I went yesterday after hearing that you can get pretty good barbecue there without the lines of Franklin and Mueller.

I'd say it wasn't bad, but there was one big problem I had. It seems like they don't season their brisket enough and they season their ribs a bit TOO much! Overall, not bad. It's definitely not Franklin, but I'd say its probably my go to BBQ place. Franklin is for special occasions. Also, interesting sauce. Never had one like that before.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
Go there whenever I want BBQ. The brisket is hit or miss. Never found it under seasoned I always ask for fatty. I always recommend people go early for BBQ. One reason Franklin's bbq gets the raves it does is because none of it sits all day. It's gone before noon.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
It's my new favorite place that isn't a two hour drive away.

I've likewise never found it underseasoned and, in fact, my first time there, I was enjoying the brisket mightily, and then took my first bite of the bark and a thrill went from my tastebuds all the way to my toes.

I also ask for mine with flavor. (These days you young whippersnappers call it "fatty", in the old days, it was a given that you'd get some fat with your 'cue.)

I was distinctly underwhelmed with Franklins.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's my new favorite place that isn't a two hour drive away.

I've likewise never found it underseasoned and, in fact, my first time there, I was enjoying the brisket mightily, and then took my first bite of the bark and a thrill went from my tastebuds all the way to my toes.

I also ask for mine with flavor. (These days you young whippersnappers call it "fatty", in the old days, it was a given that you'd get some fat with your 'cue.)

I was distinctly underwhelmed with Franklins.
Out of curiosity, what is the place that's a two hour drive away that you like?

That's what's so crazy about barbecue! Depending on when you go, it's so fluid! The time I went to Franklin, I was lucky and had an out of body experience. I literally felt like it was the first time I was tasting brisket! After being all over Lockhart, Elgin, and Llano, it all seemed like child's play.

I will say that Switch showed a lot of promise. I went late. I probably need to go again earlier. May do it tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
This town and area has plenty of good BBQ besides Franklins. I do enjoy the Stiles Diablo Sandwich.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the place that's a two hour drive away that you like?

That's what's so crazy about barbecue! Depending on when you go, it's so fluid! The time I went to Franklin, I was lucky and had an out of body experience. I literally felt like it was the first time I was tasting brisket! After being all over Lockhart, Elgin, and Llano, it all seemed like child's play.

I will say that Switch showed a lot of promise. I went late. I probably need to go again earlier. May do it tomorrow.
City Market in Luling. Though there's some fine brisket just five minutes up the road from the ranch in Bartlett, too, if you get there early enough on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So, who's been? I went yesterday after hearing that you can get pretty good barbecue there without the lines of Franklin and Mueller.

I'd say it wasn't bad, but there was one big problem I had. It seems like they don't season their brisket enough and they season their ribs a bit TOO much! Overall, not bad. It's definitely not Franklin, but I'd say its probably my go to BBQ place. Franklin is for special occasions. Also, interesting sauce. Never had one like that before.

What do you guys think?
When you say "Mueller", do you mean John Mueller Meat Co, or Louie Mueller in Taylor? Because I've never waited more than 20 min at JMMCO.

As far as Styles Switch, like somebody said, don't go late. I went last time at 1:30 and the brisket was dried out so bad it was brown. Yech.

Also, La Barbecue, John's sister's place on S First is excellent as well. Love Franklin, love Aaron. But the delta between him and JMMCO or La - while noticeable - isn't worth the wait.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
When you say "Mueller", do you mean John Mueller Meat Co, or Louie Mueller in Taylor? Because I've never waited more than 20 min at JMMCO.

As far as Styles Switch, like somebody said, don't go late. I went last time at 1:30 and the brisket was dried out so bad it was brown. Yech.

Also, La Barbecue, John's sister's place on S First is excellent as well. Love Franklin, love Aaron. But the delta between him and JMMCO or La - while noticeable - isn't worth the wait.
I'm talking about JMMCO. What time did you go there?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
All these guys are affiliated with Louie Mueller. John is family, Franklin worked with John, LA BBQ guys worked with Franklin and John. Stiles guy worked at Mueller mothership. Louie Mueller has a wait often now. The cat's out of the bag. But Stiles gives me my beef rib fix so I'm driving a hour to go get one every three months.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM

99 posts, read 174,442 times
The beef rib is the best I've had anywhere in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin