Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM

166 posts, read 446,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm planning to possibly move to Austin next year (Austin or Houston) and am trying to get a better feel for what it's like before I move. So, I'm wondering, what do Austinites typically do for fun? Are you guys super outdoorsy? I currently live in Portland, OR and outdoor activities like hiking, camping, mountain climbing, etc. are really big. I'm not really an outdoors person myself so I wonder if this will be a problem for making friends in Austin. With the extreme heat, I really don't plan on spending long hours out in the sun. That just doesn't sound appealing to me. Also, do people tend to get together for bbq's and dinner at each other's houses or is meeting at restaurants and coffee shops more popular? One of the things I don't like about Portland is no one ever invites anyone over. People are kind of distant in their social interactions and like a lot of me time. Are people in Austin generally warmer and more open and inviting or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
The people are so friendly that you will probably have some culture shock because of it, and I'm not kidding.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Most definitely outdoors, I'm starting the day with a hilly 25-mile bike ride. I won't refer to it as FUN until it's over! Last week we had at least 75 for the ride, so meeting people is a given(unless you simply don't wish to).

You can get plenty of outdoor exposure if you start fairly early. Today's high of 99 or so means anything before 11am will be tolerable, YMMV after that!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
You will find Austinites, and Texans in general, to be very friendly and sociable. Lots of backyard/patio get togethers - yes, even in the summer heat. That's what cold beer is for, right?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
too many friendlies.. be careful what you wish for. We could go to friends' houses every day of the week if we wanted.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Yes, what you've described. Also drinking on the lake, patio restaurants, sometimes festivals.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Austin is outdoors friendly. But don't underestimate how much people do indoors. Live music. Eating. Movies. Drinking. Cooking. Coffee. All those hipsters in town aren't gonna be found on a paddle board on Lady Bird Lake.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Hello,
I'm planning to possibly move to Austin next year (Austin or Houston) and am trying to get a better feel for what it's like before I move. So, I'm wondering, what do Austinites typically do for fun? Are you guys super outdoorsy? I currently live in Portland, OR and outdoor activities like hiking, camping, mountain climbing, etc. are really big. I'm not really an outdoors person myself so I wonder if this will be a problem for making friends in Austin. With the extreme heat, I really don't plan on spending long hours out in the sun. That just doesn't sound appealing to me. Also, do people tend to get together for bbq's and dinner at each other's houses or is meeting at restaurants and coffee shops more popular? One of the things I don't like about Portland is no one ever invites anyone over. People are kind of distant in their social interactions and like a lot of me time. Are people in Austin generally warmer and more open and inviting or not?
BBQ is a noun, meat smoked for 14+ hours. It's something we eat. BBQ is not an event, nor is it grilled chicken or a steak with goopy sauce poured on it.

Why Austin? Where's your job?

If you don't have a job lined up, you probably ought to go with Houston (bigger city, more jobs).

Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
BBQ is a noun, meat smoked for 14+ hours. It's something we eat. BBQ is not an event, nor is it grilled chicken or a steak with goopy sauce poured on it.

Why Austin? Where's your job?

If you don't have a job lined up, you probably ought to go with Houston (bigger city, more jobs).
This made me laugh. We were back in Nevada for our son's college graduation this past spring and my DD was texting with one of her Texas friends. She told him we were having a BBQ and he said "you are having a cookout or grilling, BBQ is not something you do!" we all laughed.

We have been here a little over a year and we are enjoying playing tourist. We have been to San Antonio to the Riverwalk and the Alamo, New Braunfels for Schlitterbahn and Natural Bridges Caverns. We have been to the Gristmill in Gruene for dinner followed by some good old fashion fun at the Gruene Dance Hall. Tubing on the Comal, a football game at Texas State (they were playing our beloved NV Wolfpack last fall), we have been to the Witte Museum in San Antonio as well as Museum of the Weird and the TX State Museum in Austin. We have taken long relaxing drives through the hill country from Llano, to Fredericksburg to Wimberly, stopping at wineries, road side produce stands and iconic convenience stores with amazing restrooms! We went to Dallas for several days over Christmas break and we have taken Metrorail into downtown and then wandered around So. Congress as well as 6th St.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
That's one of the things I love about Austin. If you can't get away for a vacation, there are tons of things to do in the area that make for a great staycation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin