Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,163 times

Advertisements

becuz they want to make a sculpture of homeless ppl? i dont get it...maybe im retarded?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
becuz they want to make a sculpture of homeless ppl? i dont get it...maybe im retarded?...
Maybe so.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I'm glad I live in Brushy Creek - unincorporated and in Round Rock's ETJ.
Actually that just means you have no voice at all in the largest community around you.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Yup!!

Quote:
why all the disdain for homeless ppl?...
What disdain? Don't you think that $175,000 could be better spent on feeding the homeless rather than erecting a statue?

Lets erect a statue illustrating the suffering of all the less fortunate people in our community... rather then doing somthing that would actually help them. ?????

Wave politely to all the starving little people out there as they admire their statue....

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,163 times
Again...what all the hate for the plight of the homeless?...

I'm an atheist but those if u who aren't and have this sort of disdain for the homeless will most likely burn in hell (as far as u know)...

Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
IMO, it's more about how ugly that statue is, vs what it "stands" for.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
why all the disdain for homeless ppl?...

In defense I do not have "disdain for the homeless people." Maybe you might want to separate the homeless from the issue. How is spending all that money and putting up a bronze statue going to "help" the homeless? Do you think it does?

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why an atheist would tell others they are going to "burn in hell".

Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:

I'm an atheist but those if u who aren't and have this sort of disdain for the homeless will most likely burn in hell (as far as u know)...
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

An atheist telling me what will earn my salvation is like me telling a coder his program is wrong.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,234 times
Private donors want to fund a homeless statue (though it would be nice if that money went to something more useful). If council lets them plop it down in a park somewhere, so what? It's not like it's a statue of Saddam Hussein or something.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM

207 posts, read 463,641 times
Quote:
I don't think there really is a hate for the homeless in general and certainly not for the people who are homeless (with some exceptions). Perhaps instead... exasperation at how the issue has been handled in the city? The city core has been "cleaned up" but all that did is force the chronically homeless outward in the city and lets be really honest here: many are addicts and serially commit minor crimes to feed their addiction. So those at the city center (where nearly all city council members live) pat themselves on the back while those on the outskirts get to watch the guy who's kid has been "too cute for cancer" for five years walk out of a local quick-stop with a bag full of alcohol, get the joy of having to clean up after their trash is picked through, and the edge of their woods littered with trash and human waste.

That's why everyone is talking about how 10-1 will change things. Austin city Council will no longer be able to be blind to the real mess caused by semi-permanent homeless camps on the outskirts and the problems caused by an extreme minority of the homeless population in Austin (which is mainly composed of those homeless for a short time due to emergency situations). People are (justifiably) annoyed that city council would spend one cent to put up a self-congratulatory homeless statue (and even if the statue is paid for by donors the city will have to spend some money, even if it is employee time, to have it installed and maintained) when that money could go to SafePlace or the food banks or to substance abuse treatment or or or or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin