U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM

116 posts, read 335,851 times

Advertisements

After this past weekend and the hot temps, my Mexican Sycamore is looking rather sad. Almost overnight the leaves turned brown around the edges and then many turned brown all together. It does get watered along with my grass once a week, but I guess it's not enough. It's only been planted for two years and isn't well rooted yet.

Do you guys think it'll recover next spring? I'm attaching a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Drought and trees-2013-09-03-09.01.00-1.png  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,615,415 times
sometimes trees start losing their leaves around now...has to do with the sun moving north...

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM

14,587 posts, read 32,150,387 times
You mean, sun moving south, I think....but yes, a 2 y/o tree probably should get a bit of hand-watering, depending on size, root condition, soil, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,615,415 times
Yeah south..I'm dyslexic...

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 AM

As you can see, the trees (same type) on the other side of my street are fine. My neighbors that are on my side of the street are having similar issues as me. I am guessing it's because we get afternoon and evening sun (the hottest) and the other side of the street gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

I gave it a good watering by hand and plan to do so once a week in addition to what my sprinkler system gives. Hopefully that'll prevent any further damage. I'm really hoping it doesn't die -- it's a nice tree and is pretty big already. Replacing it with the same species of a similar size would be $$$.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

14,587 posts, read 32,150,387 times
It can also depend a lot on your soil, especially in developed neighborhoods where a significant amount of grading may have occurred. The soil may only be a few inches down. Did you plant the tree yourself? What was the ground like? In our front yard, there is a sheet of limestone about 6 inches to 2 feet down. We busted it up as best we could when we planted our trees to try and help them get through to better water. The trees roots will eventually get through on their own (generally) but will need much more watering until they do.

Edit: Just looked at the picture, and that is a pretty big tree. How big was it when it was planted? Older trees have a much higher risk of 'failure' when replanted, and it looks like yours was much more than a sapling when it was planted.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 643,292 times
Anybody else see the thread title and think this was going to be about the temp art on lady bird lake?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

We didn't plant the tree ourselves. The landscaping company contracted with our home builder planted the tree. They probably didn't dig as deep as they should have. Earlier this spring when we had high winds it did sway quite a bit (even with the anchors) so I am thinking it isn't planted very deeply.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM

217 posts, read 296,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorfml View Post
sometimes trees start losing their leaves around now...has to do with the sun moving north...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck20 View Post
you mean, sun moving south.
lmao!!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,182,381 times
I've seen several Mexican Sycamores do this when they're stressed. They'll suddenly drop all their leaves in middle of the summer and look like they're dying, and then they bounce right back with new growth. I'd give it some deep waterings a few times a week for a few weeks and see what happens. You can't overwater sycamores as they're river trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin