Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

I realize and feel there is a difference between the 90's and 100's. Most people I talk to also do. The issue was the weather people saying "cold front".

After reading this thread I prefer "higher density front".

The heat really hasn't been an issue for me this year up until about a week ago. I don't know why but the air feels like cotton, or maybe it's polyester...that stuff doesn't breathe at all. It's thick, not easy to breathe and hardly any wind. Plus, today the UV index is very high. It will change and get better, this much I know. Right now I'm complaining. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, last week all I heard was a "cold front" was coming our way. No "cold front" ever arrived here or if it did I missed it.

My opinion is the weather forecasters should stop saying anything remotely close to the word "cold". They could say "it's going to less than hotter than hell" for the next few days", or call it "burning front" instead of the "searing hot front" we're in. It would make sense.

Or, how about "chilly"...they could say there is a front that is going to bring some "chill" to the air, (when that ever happens).

Ok, it's September now...it's suppose to cool off. I was talking to a guy in line at the HEB and he is from Texas...he said he remembers when it would start to cool off in September.

Has Texas weather really changed or is it cyclical and we're just in a nasty drought, hot spell for God knows how long? Or have I asked this question a thousand times already and simply forgot?
Thank you! I know they say it to get viewers but it is so annoying.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Twenty years ago, I was new to Texas and couldn't believe how hot it was in September! I asked a native Austinite friend and when it would cool off and she said October! I nearly cried.

Some of the hottests temps I remember were in September (2000), 115+!! So I do not find the current temps surprising.

For reference, 15 years of trick or treating at Halloween -- my kids have always worn sandals and I never worry about them being cold in their costumes but instead my worry is over-heating. Usually, the first week in November is when I start looking for the socks and check to see if everyone has jeans and regular shoes that fit.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
And... a big difference this year is the humidity. For our first 4 years here, I couldn't believe anyone would ever say Austin was humid---EVER. The grass was crunchy at sunrise...keeping the grass watered was nearly impossible. We DID have Sept 6, 2010 when we got 14" of rain in one day...stayed a little damp for a while Lately, the air is thick, warm and heavy until mid-night...not like the drier air of past years. Been doing some serious sweating on the morning bike rides...cooling down is tougher in the higher humidities, but there are some benefits, I reckon.

The first real cold front will put me in a mild funk for a while...just until the next 90 degree day!

I reckon we shouldn't consider the term 'cold front' an AFfront.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Listen!

The words to dread are "dome of high pressure over Texas" that is how we get the high, high temps. Cold fronts -- higher density front, whatever -- break up the dome of high pressure and they are the only way to get a little relief.

I'll take 97-99 and an overnight shower over 103-104 and no rain in sight! Thank you cold front!!

If you are starting to hate the heat just consider "polar vortex" a favorite of weathermen up north when an arctic air mass is ready to sweep down across Cananda and completely freeze the City of Chicago!! I've through enough of those . . . I'll take the domes of high pressures and cold fronts that lower the temp to 97 degrees!
In the battle of "high pressure dome" and a 90+ degree "cold front" vs. "lake effect snow", "noreaster" and "arctic air mass"... I will gladly take the former. God bless Texas.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,875 times
Highest recorded temp in Austin: September 5th, 2000....112 degrees. Seems like the first noticeable front to push through happens sometime in mid-late September.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
In the battle of "high pressure dome" and a 90+ degree "cold front" vs. "lake effect snow", "noreaster" and "arctic air mass"... I will gladly take the former. God bless Texas.
I'm with you! Never been a case in recorded history of traffic deaths following precipitation during a high pressure dome. Lake effect snow? Name your week. Broken bones due to slip and falls, rusted out cars, buckled pavement... Give me that heat any day!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 AM

164 posts, read 310,461 times
It does seem like it;s hotter than it use to be and it stays hotter for a longer period of time. In the 1970;s and 1980's, it seems like we might have 5 to 10 or 12 days a year that was over a hundred. 98 was the normal high, and lots of days it didn't get above 96. Some years we didn't have any 100 degree days. Now it seems like 40 or more days a year over 100 is not unusual. Maybe the drought has something do with the temperatures being hotter than they use to be. And have you noticed how many record highs were recorded since the year 2000? The way I remember it, September is still hot, but the daily highs are usually around 92 or so. I hardly ever remember 100 degree days after Labor Day, only in the past 10 years or so. I am ready for Fall. It's my favorite time of year, October and November. I got the whole month of October off at work. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: