Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Considering money for infrastructure at both the local and state is tight, something needs to change.

Here is what I said:
Texas overall is just cheap aka too libertarian/republican when it comes to upgrading and maintaining public infrastructure.
Since the subject is Austin streets, what the state is or isn't - whether public infrastructure or anything else - is a total non-sequitur. Austin, proudly the most progressive city in Texas, has the responsibility for its streets - not the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Was in downtown SA last week, and I guess I don't see much of a difference between there and here - there were lots of streets torn up or under construction, and quite a few suffering the effects of recent construction, it appeared. Small sample for me, though, in that I don't drive a ton of downtown Austin streets and only drove in the riverwalk area last week. Still, it doesn't appear to be a unique Austin thing.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
libertarian/republican
That nonsense is for the politics forum.

I've repeatedly stated on these threads that it's a shame the legislature has been diverting about a third of the gas tax revenues away from their intended purpose for decades. (before anybody in this state was aware of republicans)

Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Ride from Mellow Johnny's on Sat went through some active construction, so one can expect chunky roads; but the ride down San Jac from the stadium area to 4th and 4th 'behind' the farmers' market requires a sharp eye and firm hand on any 'vehicle' smaller than a truck. A bike or scooter could easily be thrown by some of the craters in the road, many of which appear to be years old!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Ride from Mellow Johnny's on Sat went through some active construction, so one can expect chunky roads; but the ride down San Jac from the stadium area to 4th and 4th 'behind' the farmers' market requires a sharp eye and firm hand on any 'vehicle' smaller than a truck. A bike or scooter could easily be thrown by some of the craters in the road, many of which appear to be years old!
Maybe if the bicycle riders would start complaining about that to the city.......

Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe if the bicycle riders would start complaining about that to the city.......
Good idea...but one of the main ride leaders(who left this summer) has this in her bio:

promoting alternative transportation in Austin via the Urban Transportation Commission, Bicycle Advisory Council and the Street Smarts Task Force.

Got a feeling it's been mentioned a time or two over the 5 years I've known her.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Speaking of bold bicyclists, while driving on the Texas 45 Tollway westbound past La Frontera this morning, I saw a dude on a bicycle heading the same direction on the shoulder.

Do believe that is verboten, correct?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Speaking of bold bicyclists, while driving on the Texas 45 Tollway westbound past La Frontera this morning, I saw a dude on a bicycle heading the same direction on the shoulder.

Do it all the time on 360 and S Mopac/SW 45. Stranger to see it the other way - which is what I was always taught.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Interesting question...I've not noticed signs warning against non-motorized vehicles on 45, but if there is a MINIMUM speed limit...never have seen a sign for that, either. You won't find me out there, even though I ride Parmer Ln regularly and 360 on occasion. Too many people think the 'unlimited' speed on 130 is in effect on 45 on the north end.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 AM

319 posts, read 737,149 times
As another example, Guadalupe between the south end of campus and 15th, was completely ripped up and repaved in the last 48 hours. Oh so nice to have that short little strip of normal, smooth road now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin